Thread: Few Small Boxes

Few Small Boxes

Here are a few small boxes I made this last week. I had the stock milled for awhile and hadn't gotten around to assembling and finishing them. The one on top is Cherry with crotch walnut panel and mitered keys. I did take pictures of the interiors but they didn't turn out.. to blurry... the chery box is lined with walnut. The lower one on right is mahogany and a spalted maple panel in the lid, maple keys and lined with mitered maple. I thought the spalted maple looks like a landscape. The lower left is maple with crotch walnut top. Nice piece of lint showing up in the photo . I lined it with blue velvet on the bottom. Temporary as I want to put ring rolls in these boxes. The maple and walnut box has slotted hinges. Needed to put a light amount more of chamfer on the back to allow open full 90. Oh these boxes are about 2 1/2 to 3 inch x 3 inches by 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 tall. Finish is just a homebrew poly wipe on. Thanks for looking and Thanks to Mike Hill for his help on those hinges and thanks to member & bud Chris Barton.
    Corey

Last edited by Corey Hallagan; 01-23-2007 at 5:28 PM.

Thumbs up nice box!!!

They look awesome. I'm almost done building a new router table.I bought a incra 25" super system for the table. The system comes with I believe 50 templates for making box joints. I saw your boxes an went looking for mailman an my new toy

Nice looking boxes Corey!

Great!

Corey: Very nice boxes and I definitely like the grain in the top of the boxes going on the diagonal.
    Mike
    Mike Hill

Form Follows Function

Thanks guys! Mike thanks again for your help! Dan, an Incra system...wow! Congras and ... we expect some boxes in short order..lol.

Corey

Nice stuff as usual Corey!

The keys look great and the tops of all the boxes really set them off! The walnut reminds me of "rings around a planet"...very sharp!

Hey - you coming to the KC WW show?

Beautiful boxes, as usual, Corey!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

These are very nice artistic boxes!!!!!!!!!!! hopefully I will be learning these soon...
    GCC LaserPro 30-Watt
    Mercury Laser Engraver/ Corel X3

SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Thanks all! I appreciate it. Roy, when is the show?

Corey

Those are some great boxes Corey. I really like the contrasting colors and think the spalted maple makes a nice touch. Keep up the good work!

Thanks Chris! I appreciate it
    Corey

Very nice work Corey. As a fellow boxmaker, I appreciate your work very much. I like the look that the chamfer provides, and how it creates a visual separation between the carcass and lid.

I thought I would pass along some information to you that has greatly helped me in determining an esthetically pleasing stock thickness for my boxes.

I total the length of all four sides of the box I plan to make, and use the following for thickness determination.

less than 16".....5/16"
    16" to 30".....3/8"
    31" to 50".....1/2"
    greater than 50".....5/8"

Of course, this is just a rule of thumb, but I have found it to yield very nice results indeed.

Keep makin' that sawdust and post more box pics - my antenna are always tuned for pictures of boxes!!
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Nice!

Great looking boxes and I too would like to be producing some of them when I get my shop finished. Very motivating boxes Corey and thanks for posting pictures of them. I am new here and am amazed at what you guys/gals can produce. Ideas, ideas, ideas! My wife will definitely be getting that jewelry box I've been promising one day!

Dave