Thread: Rikon or Ridgid DP?

Rikon or Ridgid DP?

I need some help with choosing A new drill press. So far I've narrowed it down to either the Ridgid for $259 or the Rikon for $329. These 2 models are within my price range and appears to be very decent machines. I've heard a lot of good things about the Ridgid model but can't seem to find much info on the Rikon. Well, just wanted to know what fellow Creekers think about these 2 models before I make my purchase.
    Thanks in advance for any input.

Quote Originally Posted by Liem Tran
    I need some help with choosing A new drill press. So far I've narrowed it down to either the Ridgid for $259 or the Rikon for $329. These 2 models are within my price range and appears to be very decent machines. I've heard a lot of good things about the Ridgid model but can't seem to find much info on the Rikon. Well, just wanted to know what fellow Creekers think about these 2 models before I make my purchase.
    Thanks in advance for any input.
    Liem,

I recently purchased the Rikon. It is a good machine, but there is one thing that would keep me from purchasing it again - the chuck, although it will take bit shafts up to 3/4" it will not take anything smaller than 1/4". In my view this is a serious drawback. I had to hold onto my bench top Delta for drilling smaller holes so now I have two DP's. I'd rather have the extra space.

I looked at the Rigid and nearly bought it (did not know about the Rikon chuck problem till weeks after I brought it home). The Rigid has received good reviews and the lifetime warranty is a real plus.
    I have been black and blue in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts with my own furniture. - Frank Lloyd Wright

I have been black and blue and bloody in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts while building my own furniture. - Rennie Heuer

I don't have either but one of the critical factors to me would be the travel. The longer the better. Most DPs have a travel of about 3½" , there are some available with 4+".

Rennie - you can buy another chuck that will go from about 1/16" to 3/8" and switch out depending on the size bit you are using. I bought one and it is in my press 98% of the time as I seldom use bits over 3/8".

George
    2B1ASK1

I'm in the same boat, and will probably end up getting the Ridgid. It gets good reviews and has decent quill travel (3 3/4" IIRC) for the price.

Thanks George. That's something I have considered and might just do someday. Right now the LOML feels more comfortable with the little Delta for her scroll work.
    I have been black and blue in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts with my own furniture. - Frank Lloyd Wright

I have been black and blue and bloody in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts while building my own furniture. - Rennie Heuer

While you mention it as

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer
    Liem,

I recently purchased the Rikon. It is a good machine, but there is one thing that would keep me from purchasing it again - the chuck, although it will take bit shafts up to 3/4" it will not take anything smaller than 1/4". In my view this is a serious drawback. I had to hold onto my bench top Delta for drilling smaller holes so now I have two DP's. I'd rather have the extra space.

I looked at the Rigid and nearly bought it (did not know about the Rikon chuck problem till weeks after I brought it home). The Rigid has received good reviews and the lifetime warranty is a real plus.
    A serious drawback, most 3/4" capacity drill chucks are not designed for small bits. you would be better of with a 1/2" or a 5/8" capacity chuck. Even a 5/8" has limits on small diameter drills. I have a 5/8" and just chuck a 3/8" (drill chuck) in for very small bits. At least it works for me. A lot of my friends have a bench as well as a floor model for that very reason.
    Ron In Clanton, Alabama

Shoot amongst us boy, one of us has got to have some relief!

I bought the Ridgid about 4 months ago. I've been very happy with it with one MINOR exception. The two deciding factors for me pre-purchase was that it has an excellent quill stroke, and can be slowed down to 400 RPM. The stroke is nice both for drilling deep holes for mortises and the like, but you also find you don't have to move the table up-and-down as often. The slow speed is good for large forstner bits and hole cutters.

The one issue I've encountered is that when I set the depth-stop, for some reason the feed handle won't automatically retract. It's as if the depth-stop mechanism is putting enough drag on the shaft that it prevents the spring from retracting the quill. It's easy enough to manually raise the bit, but a bit annoying.

I've been tempted to disassemble the mechanism to figure out what the deal is.

But again, other than that, I'd definitely buy this puppy again
    - and I paid $279 at The BORG.
    --Steve--
    Support The Creek - click here

There are a bunch of drill presses with price drops at Amazon right now. I got the info at www.frozenwarrior.com/~pricewatch They keep track of Amazon price drops.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer
    Liem,

It looks like the Rikon is off my list. I don't want to buy another chuck or have 2 drill presses. This is my second failed attempt to try Rikon tools, the first was their 18" bandsaw. I found some complaints on it too. I really appreciate the info. guys. I did a little more research and found that a lot of people like the Delta 17-965. It maybe worth checking out. Once I make my decision I'll post some pics and a review.

Thanks everyone.