Thread: Designing - Mission / Arts & Crafts

Arch Stanton Guest

Designing - Mission / Arts & Crafts

I have just started out in woodwork and I have fallen in love with the Mission / Arts & Crafts / Craftsman style of furniture. I have decided that I am going to make everything in the house in this style.

There are a lot of books around with plans and pictures and I am going to order some over the weekend.

What I would like to do is make some things that might not be in a book.

My problem is I am not a designer and I need all the help I can get in this area.

I know the style relies on:
    * mainly straight lines
    * no inlay
    * oak
    * using joining techniques for decoration.

Is there a particular book or website that would give me a set of guidelines I could use when I'm designing things?

Brian

I have been black and blue in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts with my own furniture. - Frank Lloyd Wright

I have been black and blue and bloody in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts while building my own furniture. - Rennie Heuer

Arch Stanton Guest
    Thanks Rennie,

I have been there but I did take another look. I've decided to get some old catalogues and just look at as many different pieces as possible.

Brian

Arch,

You might also check out a couple of books by Robert Lang, Shop Drawings for Craftsman Furniture and MORE Shop Drawings for Craftsman Furniture. I have both and they have drawings for several pieces, but you could also use them as a design reference.

Keith

Arch Stanton Guest
    Thanks Keith,

the man at Amazon is busy right now wrapping them up and putting my name on the box.

Think different

When you want furniture that is not in books dont buy books with Arts and Crafts style in them.
    Look for furniture that you like and then change it to your required style.
    What is Arts and Craft about, simple lines ,constructions that you can see and flared lines.
    Look at this bed.
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...g/1273341.html
    Change legs to an outside flair fit loose tennons on out side of legs and when you want change the top rail.
    Hope this helps
    Bernhard.

Blog Entries
    Rails. Lotsa rails. Oh, and arches, don't forget the arches. Oh, and the little arched wings as armrest supports. I think you're on the right track here. Just Google 'Mission Style' and absorb as much as you can. You'll see a fundemental design thread in most of the A&C, Stickley, etc. pieces out there. I also like this style; clean, simple, timeless. Enjoy!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Arch Stanton Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bernhard Riddering
    When you want furniture that is not in books dont buy books with Arts and Crafts style in them.
    Look for furniture that you like and then change it to your required style.

Bernhard.
    Hi Bernhard,

I may not have explained myself properly. I am not very creative at all and I am a bit of a perfectionist. It is going to be hard for me to be happy with anything I design. I will make chairs, tables etc as they are in the books, once I find a design that appeals to me.

What I also want to do is make shelf brackets, speaker boxes and other things that may never have been designed in the mission style.

Looking for furniture that I like and changing it to my required style is probably what I will do but I think I need guidance from books or somewhere else so I can define my required style.

Arch,

I have been building furniture in the Arts and Crafts style for over 20 years. This style encompasses a very wide range of styles that most people are
    unaware of. Your statement of the design elements:

"* mainly straight lines
    * no inlay
    * oak
    * using joining techniques for decoration."

is really not applicable to all Arts and Crafts furniture. Certainly, these elements are typical of Stickley or Mission style, but there are many other styles within the major category of "Arts and Crafts."

It takes time and research to come to an understanding of what this "style" is. Even after 20 years, I am still learning. Arts and Crafts, Craftsman, and Mission are not synonymous terms. From the familiar Stickley designs emphasizing sturdy construction and simple joinery to the refined elegance of Greene and Greene, you will find many variations.

The problem with books that have project plans is that it is more difficult to develop a sense of the style from that format, at least in my opinion. What you are wanting to do is admirable: to develop enough sense of the style to build contemporay pieces that are your own.

I would suggest two books: In the Arts and Crafts Style by Barbara Mayer, and Arts and Crafts Furniture, from Classic to Contemporary by Kevin Rodel. These two books give a nice overview of the breadth of the Arts and Crafts style with representative works from the major designers/builders. You can then begin to develop a sense of what elements you like and what you don't.

Don't sell yourself short by saying that you are not a designer. You can, and you will design, but you need to establish a knowledge base first. I think you will find, as I have, that your particular work will evolve with time to suit your needs and your own sense of style. Good luck. You are approaching this in the right way. Welcome to the Arts and Crafts community!!!

Matt

10. Design - A&C

Arch:

Couldn't agree more with Matt's comment: "Don't sell yourself short by saying that you are not a designer."

and Glenn's attitude of.... get it and go man...."enjoy".

Specific to Green & Greene, I like the book "Creating a Style" by Makinson and Heinz. Loaded with pictures.

This months Popular Woodworking has an Arts & Craft side table and an article on drawers.

Neil

Arch Stanton Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Zettl
    Arch,

I would suggest two books: In the Arts and Crafts Style by Barbara Mayer, and Arts and Crafts Furniture, from Classic to Contemporary by Kevin Rodel.

Matt
    Matt,

thanks for the input. That's what I wanted to hear.

At this stage I have a leaning towards Stickley's work but am interested in looking at Greene & Greene.

After googling around I came to the conclusion that A & C and Mission were the same. Thanks for setting me straight.

I have already ordered the Barbara Mayer book and I will definitely have a look at the Kevin Rodel. I'll just sit back and wait for them to arrive and then I can suck it all in.

Glenn, yes I do like those arches.

Neil, the Australian Woodsmith also has an article on making an A & C sideboard in it's current edition. I wonder if it is the same article? I'll do some detective work.

I've also seen lots of modern A&C done in cherry and even maple. I think QS oak can be a bit overused, just like the foursquare ebony pegs or cutouts. After a while, it gets a bit cliche. They do all have their place, though and do add a bit of themic identification/association

I'm doing my kitchen in A&C-inspired cabinets, paneling etc. TBD if it all works together

Here are a few modern interpretations I really like:
    http://www.kevinrodel.com/prairie-table.shtml

http://www.kevinrodel.com/prairie-desk.shtml

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Arch Stanton
    I know the style relies on:
    * mainly straight lines
    * no inlay
    * oak
    * using joining techniques for decoration.
    Brian
    Brian,

Go to my site: www.missionfurnishings.com

There you will find my designs that break a few of your rules. BTW, inlays in Gus's work designed by Harvey Ellis are defined by the inlays. I'm making many of my pieces with inlays, made in-house. I'll be offering my library of inlays in veneer and finished part form to the trade soon.

Mainly straight lines... well, sometimes that's true, but rarely no arches anywhere in a roomfull. Oak, mostly. 1/3 of my work goes out n Mahogany or Cherry.

Joinery wasn't used as decoration, exposed joinery denoted a break from the cookie-cutter mass production of the time, and still does.

Design away... You can't get it too "wrong". I'd suggest making cardboard mock-ups 1/2 scale. You'll know when it's "right".

Mitch
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Arch Stanton Guest
    will have to get the Kevin Rodel book. Checked out his website, he makes beautiful pieces.

Arch Stanton Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus
    Brian,

Go to my site: www.missionfurnishings.com

There you will find my designs that break a few of your rules. BTW, inlays in Gus's work designed by Harvey Ellis are defined by the inlays. I'm making many of my pieces with inlays, made in-house. I'll be offering my library of inlays in veneer and finished part form to the trade soon.

Mainly straight lines... well, sometimes that's true, but rarely no arches anywhere in a roomfull. Oak, mostly. 1/3 of my work goes out n Mahogany or Cherry.

Joinery wasn't used as decoration, exposed joinery denoted a break from the cookie-cutter mass production of the time, and still does.

Design away... You can't get it too "wrong". I'd suggest making cardboard mock-ups 1/2 scale. You'll know when it's "right".

Mitch
    Well Mitch,

I suppose my generalisations were well off the mark. Your work is great. The shelves and door bells (even though I don't need a door bell) are the sort of things I'd like to start with. I'd be over the moon if I could make a simple shelf as well as you do.

I think I will be doing a fair bit of study before I start producing.

I will do my drawings in sketchup but it might not be a bad idea to make some mock ups in cardboard when I first get started.

Brian.

PS. Don't let it be said that Arch Stanton doesn't like arches.