Thread: I want/need to build a Master-Bed …

I want/need to build a Master-Bed …

I want/need to build a Master-Bed for my wife and I…while currently we have a queen sized bed-and are very happy with it – we were thinking about one of those “adjustable foundation” beds, and the majority of them are made in 2 halves so they can be adjusted individually. Not sure about storage under the bed; can go either way.
    Questions:

1. Does anyone have any photos and/or plans of a beautiful master-bed?
    2. What is the best way to build the bed (joints?) so it can be broken-down and moved etc?
    3. With the height of the foundation and the mattress, perhaps the drawers make the bed too high?
    Any tips & hints?Thanks you all,
    Phil

Phil,
    You may want to check your local bookstore or a library for a book called "Beds" by Jeff Miller. I am going to use the plans from the book to build a sleigh bed in the future.

2. What is the best way to build the bed (joints?) so it can be broken-down and moved etc?

Spend some time looking at Japanese no glue joinery. It is both interesting and beautiful.

3. With the height of the foundation and the mattress, perhaps the drawers make the bed too high?

I built a monster king water bead back in 1979 that had 2 rows of drawers on either side of the bed frame for a total of 12 drawers. The drawers were about 8" high.
    It was a huge bed maybe a tad high for some but we didn't mind the height.
    It also had one of those massive insanely huge headboards that were popular at the time. Prolly look stupid today.
    I suspect the headboard off set the other large features like the drawers.

that is a nice bed.
    Interesting view too.

I don't know if this fits your description of "Beautiful", but my Wife likes it, and that's really all that counts. (I kinda like it too)

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Do the best you can, with what you are given.

This is the bed that I will be starting after I finish a second dresser and two night stands in cherry. The design is pretty simple frame and raised panel construction. I still need to detail out what type of joinery I will use. Maybe this will give you a few ideas.

8. Bed

Phil,
    I noted your post about bed-making. I've made several of these 4-poster beds from curly maple that are easy to assemble/disassemble, are GREAT fun to make, sit high enough to store material under, and are adorned by people young to old, short to tall and all genders.

It takes 12/4 stock and 6/4 stock and all of the joints are tradtional in style and are head together with bed bolts. The hardware is lost-wax hand-casted brass. (c. 1790's).

Attached are a few pix. I can give you more details if interested.

Phil,
    I think the first thing to decide is what style. I built a bed massive bed with tall sides. I also wanted to build a bed that would never squeak. I ended up skipping the traditional hardware methods. I made my hardware from 3" by 3" angle iron 12" long. I had them powder coated and I used steel thread inserts in the wood and countersunk allen head bolts. I also put Delrin (a slippery plastic) under each slat, and the slats are held in place with Delrin pins, one is a round hole in one side of each slat, and one in a slot on the other side of each slat. The only wood on wood contact is where the angle brackets hold the sides to the ends, but those are bolted on VERY well. I've been using the bed now for 15 years and it is still solid as a rock and it has never squeaked.

10. Joe, very pretty bed. The headboard is AWESOME!