Thread: Is my Sketchup 6 really free?

1. Is my Sketchup 6 really free?

I just downloaded and installed the Free version of Sketchup 6 here:

http://sketchup.google.com/download.html

...or so I thought.

After I downloaded it, the program info says Google SketchUp Pro, and the header at the top says [EVAL]. It's version 6.0.277.

When I click on license info under the help tab, it tell me how many minutes I have left.

I uninstalled this once, and redownloaded the free version just to make sure I didn't click the Pro version accidentally the first time.

So is this the free version? Anyone else dealing with this?

There are two versions of Google SketchUp 6. One is Pro the other is not. It sounds like you downloaded the Pro version which is not free. The free version can be downloaded at http://sketchup.google.com/product_suf.html

3. Yeah, that's the page I went to. Then I followed the upper right link and downloaded the left link Google SketchUp 6, NOT the right link Google Sketchup Pro 6. I did this twice in fact, to make sure I didn't download the Pro version the first time. Same result though.

Jameel,

I wonder if you uninstalled the pro version, then went back and downloaded and installed the regular version, that would work?

Good luck. It really is free.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

5. Thanks John. Check the second to last line in my first post. I uninstalled the first attempt in case I accidentally downloaded the pro version. Then I went back and made sure I clicked on the free version and installed that. Same result. I'm keeping Sketchup running all day to see if the 8 hours expires or what. When you click on info in the help tab, what does your version say?

When I click "about sketchup", it shows google sketchup with nothing about expiration. At one point, I had google sketchup and the sketchup trial version peacefully coexisting in different directories. Sounds like a glitch on the google sketcup site sending out the wrong file. Worth a call to them.

my downloaded file name is GoogleSketchUpWEN.exe

I didn't notice that you had already tried that. The Help/About Sketchup on mine says

"Google SketchUp
    6.0.277"

no mention of pro.

I just went to another computer here at work and was able to dowload the non pro version to that PC using the left button at <http://sketchup.google.com/download.html>.

I've exhausted all my ideas. I didn't see anything helpful here <http://sketchup.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=8537>, but you might.

I've tried twice to download and install this program (the free version) and it fails to install with this error:

Error Code: -5003 : 0x5
    Error Information:
    >SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (1814)
    PAPP:Google SketchUp 6
    PVENDOR:Google (http://www.Google.com)
    PGUID:B3D8B2F8-3C2C-45BC-933E-8B60E78F6684
    $11.50.0.42618PAK
    @Windows XP Service Pack 2 (2600) IE 7.0.5730.11

Any ideas?

"What do you mean my birth certificate's expired?!"

Jameel, I guess I don't know what to tell you except perhaps try removing all Google SketchUp related Registry items before doing a new install.

Neil, I would send that error message to SketchUp's Customer service and see what they tell you. That's really the best place to get problems with installation solved.

Good luck.

10. Well, so far I've let it run for more than eight hours. The timer says "zero", but it still runs. I can save and everything. So I restarted the program and the timer went back to 8 hours. Seems to be working fine though.

That's strange behavior for the countdown timer, but who knows what they are thinking.

Regardless, it looks like if I found that I needed the pro-version for something, I could put it on a PC that I don't generally use for SU and just use it for those purposes. That way I could stretch out the 8 hours.

Good luck sketching away. I'm finding it addictive and actually cutting into shop time. But my shop is right around the freezing mark most of the time in the winter, so learning some new skills inside is great for now.

Try Filehippo. They seem to archive older versions of free software. I checked and they have SketchUp 6.0.277 - filehippo.com