Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet, Rikon, or Rockler mini/midi lathe?

Question Jet, Rikon, or Rockler mini/midi lathe?

Hi folks.

I'm brand new to turning and have a basic question I need help with. I've snooped a bit through the threads and I'm still no further along...

What lathe should I buy for pens, small bowls, etc???

Rikon 70-100 12" x 16" - $249
    Jet JML1014 10" x 14" - $199
    M-Power 1018 10" x 18" (Rockler) - $159

And for this instance, let's say they all cost the same. (And, full disclosure: I just bought the M-Power but I don't think I made the right choice.)

Which will I be happiest with in the long run?

Thanks,
    ~Steve

I don't think the Rockler will disappoint you; I would choose the Jet between those three. The Jet Mini has a solid reputation and is a proven performer. I have no experience with the Rockler but generally hear good reviews.

But I should also say that my opinion is strongly affected by an experience with a Rikon Mini that turned out to be a complete lemon. The Rikon Mini gets good reviews as well, but my experience was bad enough to steer me away from any Rikon products for a long time, maybe permanently.

BTW, Welcome to SMC! Hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do.
    Last edited by Mark Pruitt; 01-25-2007 at 1:54 PM.

I'm biased as i have the Jet and love it.
    Have turned enough pens/pencils/bottle stoppers and confetti lamps in
    past year to sell at craft shows to hopefully buy my dream full size lathe,,
    just haven't decided yet which one that'll be....PM 3520,Vega,Stubby or
    Robust.
    Won't get rid of the Jet mini though,,,it's a work horse for the small stuff
    (and doesn't complain too loudly when you max out it's 10" swing either).

Just wanted to Welcome you to the Creek!

I think you made a wise choice in getting a lathe - any lathe! Just remember that the lathe will be the least of your expenses.

Have fun with it, ask lots of questions and if you can - get with a local turning club. Spending time with an actual turner will save you a lot of time and money!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

For what it's worth, I'm told that the M-Power is made by the same folks that make the Jet.

I'm like Mark when it comes to looking at track record. The Jet has a long-standing reputation for quality. The other two are still relatively new and may be great lathes, but only time will tell.

Jet, Rikon or Rockler lathe

Hello,

I too woul lean towards the Jet. But, I would wait about 3-4 weeks for the new Jet 1220 mini lathe to come out. It;s supposed to be the same 12" x 16" as the Rikon. According to what I have seen on this board, Woodcraft will offering it at $199 in the very near future.

Good Luck,
    Dan Heine

That's simple none of them for alittle more $299 and free shipping you can get the palmgren 15" swing and a full horse motor. on amazon. I bunch us us got them and love them.

Bob

Yep I agree with Bob. Love mine Palmgren made lathe and also love the little Rikon. Haven't had a dimes worth of trouble with the Rikon. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the above. By the way welcome to Creek Steve.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I bought the Jet 1014 just before Christmas and really like it so far. I was tempted by the Rikon because of its larger size, but some of the comments on this forum raised some questions and the salesman at the store, which sold both, recommended against the Rikon. Satisfaction with a tool of any kind really gets back to expectations. In this case, the Jet seemed to be the "least risk" choice, but I'm sure I could have done any of the same basic opertations on the others as well.

A famous turner reported in another forum last year that he purchased 5 Jet minis and 5 Rikon minis in his teaching studio. The 5 Jets were going strong and the 5 Rikons were falling apart. In a teaching environment, the lathes are usually subject to rougher usage. For weekend users, it may take longer for the problems to pop up.

If you want the 12" swing, at least I would waiting for the Jet 1220 and compare.

Gordon

Interesting, the saleman where I bought the Rikon (Woodcraft) said he recommended the Rikon over the Jet. He said the Jet was a fine proven machine, but the features and 2" increase in diameter and length of turn made the Rikon a better buy. Only takes a second to change pulleys, shield over the motor, indexing, spindle lock, and on and on. I guess it depends on who you talk to. I did hear that Rikon like other brands had a few problems when first placed on the market, but I was told they had resolved those issues. On the other hand, I'm now thinking about the Palmgren as it appears to be even a better buy for the money . Something to consider! Welcome to the Mill, and hope you have a good grip on your wallet, it's only just beginning
    Last edited by Dale Gregory; 01-25-2007 at 7:14 PM.

O.K. guys, about this Palmgren. Is that a good deal or is it a get-what-you-pay-for thing? I recently borrowed my dad's Rikon mini and made my first turnings (some handles). I must admit that I wasn't really wanting to get into turning(yet another woodworking hobby and tool to go with it ) but after a few go's I think I'm in trouble! Anyway, I like the Rikon but after seeing the Palmgren I'm wondering if I'll end up wanting it after using the smaller Rikon. I saw the previous thread around x-mas when a lot of you got one, now you've had time to work with it what's the verdict? Thanks for your opinions.

Rikon is good

I was in the market about a year ago and was trying to decide between the Jet and the Rikon. I went to the local Woodcraft and played with both. I bought the Rikon because it was a bit stronger and had a little better feel to it. Fit and finish are about the same on both. I bought have used the Rikon to turn pens and small bowels, bottle stoppers and just make sawdust with. If I had to buy another small lathe it would be a Rikon. Hope this helps

Terry,
    As I told you on the neander forum turning is addictive and yes the palmgren is worth twice that price. I had an older grizzly that retailed for $300 and I would not put them in the same league.

It has a longer bed more swing 15" and more power plus it's low end speed below 400rpm. great lathe!

Thanks Bob.