Thread: want recommendation for mortising bits

want recommendation for mortising bits

I'm about ready to purchase a new powermatic mortising machine. I have little experience with this piece of equipment. What are the best mortising bits to purchase. What's the best for the money?

Quote Originally Posted by John Heitz
    I'm about ready to purchase a new powermatic mortising machine. I have little experience with this piece of equipment. What are the best mortising bits to purchase. What's the best for the money?
    I did the research a couple days back. I didn't see a single person disappointed in the Lee Valley chisel/bit. There was a person on other site who was happy with CMT, but his was the only comment I could find. Alot of people use Fisch, and MOST of the comments are pretty positive. I've seen a mixed bag of pros and cons concerning Powermatic's chisel/bit selection. There was a recent thread here where the Yorkshire set from Wilke was brought up and I think a couple people, including someone at Wilke, uses these and are happy. WIth both Jet and Delta, it seems to be hit or miss whether people get good results.

I suppose any of these options will work if you take the time to correctly sharpen the chisels and bits. Lee Valley, Rockler, and Woodcraft all have their own sharpening systems and they all work.

I went with the LV set and the Rockler sharpener.

Thanks for the info. I'm new to the creek. It occurred to me after submitting the post to do a search. I did find some info that way. Lee Valley makes some decent products. I'll investigate it more. The local tool supply here has a delta set on the shelf . I think it is five pieces for about a hundred bucks. I thought about starting there and moving up over time, however, if i can get something better for a few more bucks.....?

Quote Originally Posted by John Heitz
    Thanks for the info. I'm new to the creek. It occurred to me after submitting the post to do a search. I did find some info that way. Lee Valley makes some decent products. I'll investigate it more. The local tool supply here has a delta set on the shelf . I think it is five pieces for about a hundred bucks. I thought about starting there and moving up over time, however, if i can get something better for a few more bucks.....?
    The Lee Valley set is about $105 for 4 chisels and they are distinctly better than Delta's according to everything I've read.

The PM requires chisels on the longish side. Don't buy the really cheap generic sets, they are too short ... DAMHIKT. The next issue of Woodworking magazine is supposed to have a review of chisels. I'm waiting for that since I know I won't need my mortiser until I'm done finishing the basement anyway.
    Jay St. Peter

thanks guys - appreciate the input. I don't mind spending the money that will save me money in the long run.