Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Malee Burl NE

John, you've outdone yourself with this one, grat piece !!!

I'll be anxious to see a great big one off the great big lathe
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Nice work John, the form looks very good.
    John 3:16

Beautiful job! I like everything about it.

Absolutely beautiful piece of art John!

Having the form offset was a great idea and really works well. That's a very different foot and gives the form sort of a floating quality. Great wood with lots of charactor.

Overall - very impressive! I've already saved it to my favorites!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

WOW! Gorgeous finish leave it as it is! I need to find some of this stuff!
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

Kind of has the shape of a large maple leaf, beautiful wood and what a job to do it proud!

Beautiful wood and turning! Great job keeping the NE. I can appreciate the work that went into this. I love Mallee but it is a booger to turn.

Very nice work!
    Last edited by Neal Addy; 01-26-2007 at 12:58 PM.

Nice work, John, and beautiful piece of wood.

Getting right artsy there, ain't ya John? That's a great looking bowl. Looks like gallery stuff. Nice looking bottom. I'll have to try the soft rag/tailstock thing. I was thinking the only way to get a goodlooking bottom on one of these was with a vacuum chuck. You got to mess with it a lot to get it to run true? Great piece!

Rich

Absolutely beautiful piece John!!! I'm currently working on my very first NE (sort of, as you'll see when I post it) and can now totally appreciate what goes into making one of these work. That business of turning out there in mid-air is really kinda creepy, and you're always wondering when that fateful catch is gonna happen! What's the secret to sanding one of these things anyway?? Again, great job John!

Jim V

Thanks again yous guys. Once again...you are too kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Stewart
    ....You got to mess with it a lot to get it to run true?...
    No...not really....maybe a little bit. The bowl really wants to center itself. One key to remember is that when you are cutting the tenon in the beginning, be sure to skew in a little pilot hole for your live center later. That way, when you turn it around, you already have your center. The other thing is, the cloth needs to be evenly folded...not wadded up. Jim Becker and Glenn Hodges are where I learned this technique..and they use a couple of mouse pads.

I've also used this technique on hollowforms with small openings. Just chuck up a heavy dowel. Not much grip...but enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim V
    ....What's the secret to sanding one of these things anyway??
    The main secret is "Don't get blood on your turning"!!!! And I mean that.
    Always remember and never forget that your hands are right next to a sawblade. You must control the urge to feel it while it's turning just to see how smooth it is (even though your instincts tell you to fondle it)
    Other than that, it's not too bad sanding the outside, but the inside is a bit harder for me. I keep my speed down under 400. When power sanding, I brace the sander on the toolrest if I can and hold it steady in one place, so that the wood comes to the sandpaper...offering very little pressure...Otherwise, I dive in the void and get blood on my project.
    When you are sanding the inside bottom, you will feel relaxed because there's a solid surface. ahhh...solid wood! Wham!...the edge takes part of your wrist off....More blood on your project....not to mention the project delays caused by doctor visits and bandage changes.

There's going to be a lot of non-turning, manual-type sanding as well. But ya know...there are others here with much more experience than I. They might be able to offer their own insights on bloodless sanding.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Blog Entries
    John, NOW THATS TALENT! I really like this piece. You've done a fantastic job. I have'nt even tried to figure out how to turn a piece and leave the natural edge like that. Maby you could give me some pointers.

Great piece!

$10.00?!?! ...I need to know where you are buying it.

How I wish you cored that... can't imagine turning everything else of that gorgeous wood into shavings.
    Dario

Gorgeous wood and a great turning job.
    John

"It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day
    that you realize how often they burst into flames."

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Thanks everyone! Lots of fun, this turning stuff is.

Joash...this piece cost me a little less than $10. To get the base done, I get all my finish turning and sanding done, then take the piece out of the chuck, put a soft cloth inside it and press it into the chuck with the tailstock livecenter centered on the tenon. Crank it tight enough that it won't fly off. Then light cuts, leaving a little nub where the live center is riding. Cut the nub off and sand.
    ok How did you turn the base? Did you turn a big collar for the jaws to hold onto? And then reverse turn it, and knock the base off?

Joash
    Why do they say "an alarm going off," if it is really going on?

Joash