Thread: Can't sell this little guy.....

Can't sell this little guy.....

This little bust is 8.5" tall and carved from basswood. Don't remember what I turned the base from. I have tried to sell him for 75 bucks at several shows but had no success. Do you think he's overpriced or just not any good.........
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wolf Kiessling

In the pursuit of excellence, there is reward in the creation of a wondrous relationship between the artisan and the soul of the tree

It's excellent work, Wolf. I suspect that it just requires the right buyer to come along...specifically, someone with a love. of that particular breed or someone that collects dog tchachkas.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I also like the little critter, well done. As Jim stated, the breed connection will most likely sell it for you.

As someone who collects dog figurines, I can say that it looks very nice. I can tell that you put a lot of work in on it and the craftsmanship is excellent. The only reason I wouldn't be interested is that it's the wrong breed for me. People who buy dog figurines usually collect a particular breed and many get to the point where they only buy ones that look like their dog(s). It can be a difficult market.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Wolf.........I really like that figurine! You'll find a buyer I'm sure! Nicely done!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

The work is excellent. I wonder if the combined effect of the carving and base is a little offputting though -- kind of like the little guy came from the taxidermist. I find the third picture much more appealing than the others.

Not sure how to change it, just passing along my first impression.

Pete

Very nice work, but once Pete pointed it out, yeah, kind of look like the dog is a trophy and has been mounted. Don't know how they normally are stood up, but the one buyer is out there, keep putting it out for them to find. Oh, put a sale tag on him next time, from $100.00 down to $75 only for this show/event. Everybody loves a bargain.

Blog Entries
    Nice work. See is your local vet will let you set it on their counter with a for sale sign & price tag or take it on consigment if they offer any sort of items for sale in their office.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Jon and Lee, a couple of really good ideas worth pursuing. Thanks, also to all the others who commented........
    Wolf Kiessling

In the pursuit of excellence, there is reward in the creation of a wondrous relationship between the artisan and the soul of the tree

I'm guessing you have made two mistakes.
    1.) Wrong audience. Like someone said: these collectors are breed specific.
    &
    2.) Wrong price. I can't guess how much work goes into something like that but I'd not let it go for less than a grand, maybe more. Which of course gets you back to the question of who it is to whom you are marketing.