Thread: Powermatic lathe: Isit worth it?

Powermatic lathe: Isit worth it?

I was in my local woodworking store this afternoon and they had a laathe for sale on consignment. I just did a quick look at it so I may be mistaken about some of the specs so forgive me if I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about. It was a huge Powermatic and I believe it was a model 70. I plan to stop back by there tomorrow and take a closer look. Anyway, it has a 17" swing, 6" and 12" tool rest, and several other accessories. It appears to be in excellent shape. It is green and 220volt. Although you have not actually seen this machine, do any of you lathe junkies feel that this would be a good deal at $1200?

Thanks
    Jonathan Patrick

Hi Jonathan

If you want a lathe so you can turn furnature pieces then the Model 90 is a good lathe for you. If you want a lathe for general hobby woodturning then you likely want a lathe with more swing over the banjo.

$1200 is the going price for a model 90 in good condition.

The 17" swing is likely 16" swing in the gap with 12" swing over the ways and 9" swing over the banjo.

The lathe could have a riser on the headstock to give 17" over the ways.

The drive system is a reeves drive noted by the large lever on the side of the headstock. These drives are noted for noise.

Thanks

Richard
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away