Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painful splintered fingers - What do you do?

Painful splintered fingers - What do you do?

I just finished building some saw horses, a workbench, and started working on my first few canoe and kayak paddles. But man, my fingers are extremely sore today. I got about 6-7 splinters and various cuts here and there. I was going to try some gloves, but I don't have anything that would still allow me to feel the wood well.

What does everyone do to treat sore fingers?
    What does everyone do to prevent sore fingers?

Thanks!

L

Luke

When I am kayak building I sometimes use open finger gloves. They also work great for paddeling.
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

Each time you do something that hurts don't do that again. After you've eliminated that first thousand mistakes, you will make far fewer.

Do be careful and think through each motion to make sure it won't draw blood (or damage the workpiece) if something goes wrong. Especially with power tools. Think of what could slide or slip or skip or get caught or what would happen if you slipped or tripped during the cut. After a while, it becomes second nature, but you can't let it become completely second nature. You have to keep safety in the front of your thought at all times. Also, if you find you are making more mistakes than you should, you may be working tired and vulnerable to making serious mistakes.

Depending on the species of wood, splinters can be a real challenge though.
    Be careful out there.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Luke McFadden
    What does everyone do to treat sore fingers?
    Depends on what ails 'em. I like to clean the cuts with bleach so they don't get infected and hurt worse.
    For that ache from too much cold weather I use heat, single malt scotch (Redbrest), and a warm fire.

What does everyone do to prevent sore fingers?
    I delegate.
    I watch out for splinters.
    I wear leather work gloves but not when using machinery.
    When chopping wood, stacking cordwood, hauling or whatever I always wear leather work gloves.

Wrap em every night with Neosporin (pain relieving) under band aids.

Cut out any splinter as soon as it happens. Sharp razor and grit your teeth. THe small cut will heal faster than a festering cedar splinter.
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

But be careful with Neosporin. About 50% of the population is allergic to it and it will only make things worse. Hubby and I both developed allergies to that stuff in our 50s, and we tossed every bit we had. See if you can get some Silvadine instead, or Bactroban. Neither have any metallic elements in them. However, both are prescription, so you'll have to see your M.D.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

For treatment of sore fingers I use either Neosporin, Bag Balm, or Udder Cream.

For prevention, I like 3M Vetrap. It is easy to apply and stays put and does give a reasonable feel.

Steve

Nicks and cuts? Typically, I bleed. I seem to get caught up in what I'm doing an only notice I got nicked when I see the drips. Then I clean it up with some soap and water and put a bandaid on it. 'Course if I haven't applied enough pressure, and bleed thru the dang bandaid, the whole thing starts over.

I don't wear gloves in the shop, except for when I'm carrying a bunch of rough lumber down. I do wear gloves when I fire up the chainsaw or am otherwise harvesting wood outdoors.

Working with sharp tools and chunks of wood, we're gonna get stuck. I clean the wound once I leave the shop, put some antibiotic ointment on it to avoid infection, slap a band aid on it and try to avoid doing it again next time. 'Course, I don't, always.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Because I live in a damp climate on the We(s)t Coast the ends of my fingers crack in the winter. I use bag balm and it works like magic. If my fingers are cracked at night and I use the stuff it is cleared up in the morning. Just run your finger thru the stuff, rub it in and thats it. Not greasy, only smells a bit( kind of a hospital odour)and works great. And its cheap(I Think-my wife buys it)

Fred Mc.

I wish I had a good answer for you Luke. I just dig 'em out, put on a bandage if necessary, and get back to work.
    The splinters from Wenge are really nasty. I will use fingerless gloves, ie cycling gloves, and I have also been known to use full gloves on the jointer when working with it. It gives me the heebies though. Gloves and rotating machinery are a bad combo.

I keep a wall mounted, lighted magnifier , a sharp needle, and a bottle of rubbing alcohol in the shop. After disinfecting with the alcohol, the needle will almost always remove the splinter. I disinfect the site, then later use antibiotic and some aloe vera. The latter overnight cures the pain of splinter holes, of skin disturbances (also of things like burns and beginning blisters). I only wear gloves if moving items not working on them.

Your best bet to prevent splinters is to wear a good pair of well fitting gloves. Second line is to prevent infection which can be done by using warm saltwater soaks, topical antibiotics (Sorry, I differ with Nancy's statistics on Neosporin and the composition of the alternatives) and band-aids. Most of us don't use band-aids properly because most bandaids aren't robust enough to stand up to the rigors of the shop. If you get a minor cut, nick or splinter, remove all fragements, wash vigrously with soap, cover with a bandage with a small amount of antibiotic on the dressing. The longer you can keep a wound covered, the better your chances for a rapid heal.

For pain, take 2 tabs iburprofin every 4 hours. Soak your fingers about 4 times a day in ice water until you can't stand it.

This regimen, used by athletes, is commonly used for sprains, muscle tears, and general aches or soreness.

Another option is do more physical labor.

I have always done as much manual labor as I could even when I was a desk jockey. My hands were always tough enough that I have never been bothered by soreness. I can still get splinters, but I just pull or dig them out and get on with it. Of course many city people are in circumstances where they really haven't any hard labor to do. In that case, I am sorry for you but I have no solution.
    What you do today determines what you can do tomorrow.

This is going to come off smart alecky....

Splinters?

Get used to them and ignore 'em unless they are huge.

Just pull em out when you are not so busy.

Cuts? Duct tape.

Gloves? Your shop, is it below freezing?

Gloves are a very bad habit. Not to mention gloves

and power tools are a no-no.

You don't form the callouses and even

those little splinters hurt.

Remember the work part of woodworking?

Tough hands are part of the deal.

Per
    Last edited by Per Swenson; 01-28-2007 at 10:46 PM.
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence