Thread: Fein Turbo II is Louder After filter change

Fein Turbo II is Louder After filter change

After going from the cloth bag filter to a pleated canister of 1 micron and the paper bags the Fein Turbo II is much louder. It is kind of a high pitched wine.... Is that normal? Or did some dust get into the bearings when the cloth bag broke and I need new bearings? Its about 2 to 3 years old. Any bearing , brush or service repear issues that you experienced? I hate to spend more money on it....chisels and planes are more fun
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Mark, If you have an new spare bag filter, put it on and see if it still whines. If it does then something is wrong elsewhere. One time my stepbrother used my old shop vac without a filter and it got clogged up with dust,hair .etc.. next time I used it I couldn't understand what was wrong with it till I took it apart and saw that the debris was impacted inbetwwen the fans impeller blades.

.Mike
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    After going from the cloth bag filter to a pleated canister of 1 micron and the paper bags the Fein Turbo II is much louder. It is kind of a high pitched wine.... Is that normal? Or did some dust get into the bearings when the cloth bag broke and I need new bearings? Its about 2 to 3 years old. Any bearing , brush or service repear issues that you experienced? I hate to spend more money on it....chisels and planes are more fun

Mark,
    The Fein vac is a 'bypass' type vac, so the air in the canister isn't suppoased to come in contact with the motor.

Mine has no noticeable noise change when changing from cloth cone to bag and filter. Could it be that your filter pleats are vibrating, or maybe there's a hole or blockage in the bag?

Try a different bag. If that doesn't work, remove (temporarily) the filter. If the noise persists, you may well have a bearing problem - maybe just from long-time usage wear and tear.

That said, my Fein is about seven years old, and has been pretty much bulletproof. No maintenance has ever been required beyond periodic filter cleanings.

Mark,
    I have the same vac and also changed from the cloth to the bags (with a HEPA canister filter)--and like Jim, I didn't notice any major difference in noise. Certainly not a high pitched whine. Fein tech support seemed pretty nice when I had to call them once.
    -Rob

The noise from mine didn't change in pitch or intensity when I switched over to the 1 micron filter/bags either... hopefully your Turbo II isn't terminally ill...

Dan

I didn't notice any change in noise level when I changed mine over to the cannister filter.

From what I read somewhere about the outrageous price Fein wanted to replace a switch, I have a feeling that any Fein repair will be expensive.

Terry