Thread: G0453 Planer Parallelism

G0453 Planer Parallelism

Does anyone have experience adjusting the bed parallelism on a G0453 or equivalent planer?

I found mine out by .026 side to side and .04 front to back. enough that I am seeing different thickness on the planed wood and out of the spec Grizzly states.

I have found the adjustment they recommend to be very hard to achieve - - can't move the chain on to different teeth due to the base casting being so close to the chain. Any suggestions?

Not meaning to hijack your thread, but how do you like the planer. How is the fit and finish?

I was considering this vs the Yorkie. The yorkie saves me $160 but I hear the fit and finish is not great. I am looking to upgraade to a Shelix head.

If they are the same I will get the cheaper one.

The Powermatic seems nice but it's $1000 more .

I am a hobbiest at can't justify the price of the PM

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Gerber
    Does anyone have experience adjusting the bed parallelism on a G0453 or equivalent planer?

I found mine out by .026 side to side and .04 front to back. enough that I am seeing different thickness on the planed wood and out of the spec Grizzly states.

I have found the adjustment they recommend to be very hard to achieve - - can't move the chain on to different teeth due to the base casting being so close to the chain. Any suggestions?
    Hi Martin, I have the same machine but in Australia.
    My bed is also out but is very minimal. I know you can adjust the bed, but I found it easier to adjust the knives to the bed.
    I use the jig to set the knives, and then adjust the knifes where needed to the bed with a block of timber. You have to use the same block and keep using the exact same reference point on the block....hope this is some help.

Rob,

I have a 15" Yorkie. The fit and finsih was, in my opinion, excellent for a machine costing under $1000. I was poking arount in a woodworking store yesterday and saw the Powermatic 15 with a spiral blade system. The Yorkie could hold its own compared to what I saw (fit and finish).
    The Griz 15" and Yorkie 15" come from the same factory, only differing in paint color scheme. Although I do own Grizzly machinery, the fact that the Yokie is said to be inspected and checked for running and specs, played a big part in my decision. I just felt it was one more opportunity to catch something being out of specs. Mine was withing all specs upon delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by robert cohen
    Not meaning to hijack your thread, but how do you like the planer. How is the fit and finish?

I was considering this vs the Yorkie. The yorkie saves me $160 but I hear the fit and finish is not great. I am looking to upgraade to a Shelix head.

If they are the same I will get the cheaper one.

The Powermatic seems nice but it's $1000 more .

I am a hobbiest at can't justify the price of the PM