Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Best woodworking magazine to subscribe to?

magazine

Luke: Fine Woodworking and Fine Homebuilding. For someone getting started Popular Woodworking is good.

Luke, As others have said, there are a number of good magazines out there. Some are better than others.

Don't forget to use your local library. They often subscribe to several woodworking magazines and you can usually take them home for good reading. Every so often, I go to our local library and look through magazines for ideas. I know what they have so I also look up things on line and if I find something, I go and get the magazine. Most libraries will photocopy articles for a niminal fee.

Fine Woodworking and Popular Woodworking. "Nuff said!
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

4. This thread was brought back from the abyss just in time to help my current situation.

I just interviewed for a position as a freelance contributor to one of the major magazines mentioned in this thread and I would really like to know how everyone feels about the current offerings. So far I have gathered that there seems to be a consensus that there is a fair amount of redundancy between the publications. What type of new content would be appealing enough to drop your hard earned money on a magazine?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Bergstrom View Post
    This thread was brought back from the abyss just in time to help my current situation.

I just interviewed for a position as a freelance contributor to one of the major magazines mentioned in this thread and I would really like to know how everyone feels about the current offerings. So far I have gathered that there seems to be a consensus that there is a fair amount of redundancy between the publications. What type of new content would be appealing enough to drop your hard earned money on a magazine?

Thanks in advance for your input.

I think that what appeals to some does not appeal to others, so a mix of simple and complex projects is helpful. For myself, I am still outfitting my garage shop, so jigs and fixtures are always good, as well as innovative products.

A good example of that would be the mortise jig that was featured in the current issue of Woodsmith, which I had not seen before, and was interested in reading about. If I had not already built an alternate jig for my router, I would be interested in it.

One area that seems to be getting a lot of attention from several of the magazines that I subscribe to is various finishes. That is fine, but there is a lot of redundancy in it.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.