Thread: Power Feeder on MM Combo Machine?

Power Feeder on MM Combo Machine?

I have a Mini-Max CU300 and was wondering if anyone ever mounted a power feeder on one. I'm not a big fan of drilling holes in my nice piece of equipment but a power feeder would be nice when using the shaper.

I think that the one consideration is going to be some kind of "quick mounting" capablity given the combo nature of the CU300. Think about how you might do some form of clamp on arrangment for that reason.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I could be mistaken, but I believe the typical power feeder install will block your ability to open the left-hand access door to the lower cabinet and restrict or prohibit your ability to lock the spindle and change tooling. Something to keep in mind regarding time element.

Brian,

I have a power feeder on my MM 410 Elite. It is mounted on a heavy duty springed hinge. This set/up does not interfere with opening the shaper door. For me, the feeder is much safer and gives a smoother finish on shaper cuts.
    The best power feeder attachment I have seen is on the new MM 410 Technomax. It is a swing arm set up that will move completely out of the way when not in use. Not sure if it could be adapted to an existing combo.
    Call Sam B. at MM, he is there resident expert on such matters. He is also one heck of a woodworker.

Brian

Brian,

I have a Felder Combo with a tilt bracket for the powerfeeder. Even if MM doesn't offer such an option, it should be fairly easy to fabricate one for your machine. The bracket is basically a sturdy hinge munted on the back of the saw. It allows the PF to be tilted out of the way when not in use.
    Cheers,
    Bernhard