Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Craftsman 22124

Craftsman 22124

I may be picking up a 1 year old Craftsman 22124 table saw today and I am looking for any last minutes thoughts from this group. I am a new member but long time lurker and have been working with a Delta contractor saw without any dust collection. I am in the midst of setting up a new workspace and have been looking for a cabinet saw to add to a relative "starter" Jet 1.5hp dust collector that I will be moving from tool to tool until a more permanent solution can be acquired.

Even though I know that many have been able to locate more powerful, well known table saws for $500.00 or less my search has been without any success. I truly would like to move forward in getting a decent shop up and running, but am wondering if this will be the right purchase for me. At this time, I will be doing the typical home workshop projects and do need the ability to make precise and accurate cuts, because I have found I am a little anal about small "mistakes".

It would be helpful to me to get some feedback about this Craftsman 22124 from users, because, even though I have read the initial reviews and comments about this machine upon its introduction, it has been difficult to find information from some that have been able to use it for a while now. All the normal questions are there for me, accuracy of cuts, is there enough power, dust collection, durability, and so on....

The saw I am looking at has all standard equipment; Biese fence system, miter gauge and fence system, retractable outfeed table and right side extension table. Add ons are a new Tenryu blade, nicely made crosscut sled and Jet mobile base. Price $500.00. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

I probably should have put this is another section. Moderator, move if you please.
    Last edited by Paul Maxwell; 01-29-2007 at 9:17 AM.

I have a Craftsman zip code TS and as a hobbyist I think it serves its purpose just fine. I have the middle of the road model and have been very happy with it. I recently had to cut 2 1/4" rock maple with it and did just fine... $500 is a fair price considering all the extras...

I've had the 22124 for a little over a year now and I'm completely satisfied with it. It's done all that I've asked of it so far. The Bies fence is great, and the saw had pretty good dust collection. If you're thinking about a right-side router table, the first thing I suggest is to throw the el-cheapo extension that comes with it as far as you can. Build youself a nice, sturdy router table extension.

As a beginner woodworker I choose the Craftsman 22124 and have been very happy with its performance.

I would like to extend the tables right side if I only knew how.
    Don

Paul

I like my 22124 a lot. IMHO, there is nothing even close to it for the same money. I paid $799 for mine. It is smooth and accurate. Power seems just fine to me, but I haven't cut 12/4 oak with it yet. The Biesemeyer fence is incredibly heavy duty and accurate. Lietz blade was a pleasant surprise. I had intended to upgrade it. To this point I can not justify a new blade.

My 22124 has been serving me well since April, 2005. With the right blade choice, there's nothing it hasn't cut with relative ease, including 12/4" hard maple. It's no PM66, but it's been more than adequate for this weekend warrior.

I slid the rails 10" to the right for a 40" rip capacity, and added a router table on the right side.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

"I slid the rails 10" to the right for a 40" rip capacity"

Scott,

I didn't even consider that as a possibility. Anything tricky about it? Any downside. (Other than the obvious loss of range on the left side).

Thanks for the replies so far! If you could do it again would get another 22124? What do you all think of the price of $500.00 for the rig that I described in the first post?

Paul

Blog Entries
    I got mine for under $700 with some freebies thrown in for some effort I had to put out due to a bad top on the first saw. So, your $500 sounds like a good deal. I have been very happy and would do it again. The power seems like more than the rated 1 3/4HP, dust collection is good. Mine is very stable but I added an additional CI wing in place of the rather useless Bies extension and have a RT hanging off the left side. The whole rig is probably around 600lbs., has low vibration and the trunnions are a pleasure to use. I run thin kerf blades as that is what I had a collection of from my contractor saw days but a full kerf should be no problem if that is your preference.

P.s. The folks at Orion are a pleasure to work with is you have questions or problems. They sent me some replacement parts that I didn't even request due to my description of them not meeting their expectations of their product.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Maxwell
    ... If you could do it again would get another 22124? What do you all think of the price of $500.00 for the rig that I described in the first post?

Paul
    I'd definitely do it again given your circumstances, and given a 110v restriction....but I'd also consider the Steel City version of the same basic design. I do have 220v available, so at much over $800 I'd be looking towards a full 3hp cabinet saw, but other than a good used cab saw, I can't think of anything else in the $500-$800 range I'd be interested in to replace the 22124.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Dewayne Reding
    "I slid the rails 10" to the right for a 40" rip capacity"

Scott,

I didn't even consider that as a possibility. Anything tricky about it? Any downside. (Other than the obvious loss of range on the left side).
    Hi DeWayne - You'll need to reattach the switch, and you'll need to lift and reset or replace the tape. The actual rail shift was a 10 minute no brainer.

I bought one of these two months ago and could not be happier. I was also limited to 110V and this seemed to be the best option at the lowest price to boot.

You won't be sorry, I've yet to find anything that bugs me about this saw and the Biesemeyer is great.

Craftsman Lovefest

Thanks Scott, there have been a few times I wished it would rip about 35". I think the max in stock config is about 31 1/2.

Paul,

I absolutely would buy it again. Now quit rubbing your $500 deal in our face. You know darn well that's a steal. That much won't get you a Delta contractor saw with a good fence. $1000 is the price point where I would consider something better than the 22124.

Regarding Orion. They are very good. I bought the Craftman Professional (Orion) jointer last week. Unfortunately, a China product like everything else I can afford. Some panels damaged. Orion shipped them in 24 hours. Dewalt does the same though. They know shipping damage is a fact of life with everything coming from 7000 miles away.

$500 is awesome for that saw!! Congrats.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Paul, I've had my 22124 since March of 2005, and I have been completely satisfied with it! I would buy it again in a heartbeat. It has done everything I've asked of it, and has had zero problems. Great fence, great table, great price, go for it!!!!
    "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." -Henry David Thoreau