Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Good Morning Everyone,

Sorry, but I've been MIA from the forum for about 2 weeks now due to the extreme workload at the "day job". Things have settled a bit and I'm acutally getting a couple of days off. Sure is nice to have some time off.

The computer desk is done (except for the rubbing out), but the customer said they want it like it is, so he came by here Saturday afternoon and picked up all the pieces of the desk except for the 3' by 8' piece, which was too long to fit inside his vehicle. I'll be taking that to him sometime today. I'll get pictures once he has it all assembled and setup like he wants it and then I'll post the pics.

I'm gearing up for an oval kitchen table and a baby dressing table/dresser for some friends of our that will be having their first baby in a few weeks. I'll be working on the table and the dresser at the same time, but I have to finish the dressing table/dresser first as they will finish it themselves to match the paint in the baby's room.

After that? I'm getting back into woodturning and then into some furniture projects for our home that I've been putting on hold for almost a year now.

It's time for another cup of coffee and another log on the fire.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Well...this week is starting off as a two-latté Monday morning and another episode of PowerPoint, um...Hades. But the weekend was "ok". No woodworking, but I did get the slabs moved out of the shop and upstairs into the area I plan on using for longer term lumber storage. (I love having that door on the end of the building!) My new saw should be arriving this week, so I have a big empty space in the shop prepared for the "de-palletization party". It was way too cold to consider getting more finish on the doors for the cherry vanity project, but I brought them in the house to deal with during the week as I can use a brush for what I need to fix up to complete the work.

I also split about a cord of wood thanks to having Fred Voorhees' splitter available to me as well as about another half cord for Robert Tarr with his assistance. Of course, that guarantees it will remain too warm to do much burning of the stove...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I finished an outfeed table for my TS (except for the extended miter slots):

Click on thumbnail to enlarge

Smile Damage control

A snowstorm was followed by extremely strong winds up here in the mountains of AZ. The result was the loss of our garden gate and heavy damage to an eight-foot section of wooden picket fence. So I turned carpenter and repaired the fence and built a completely new garden gate. Nothing fancy, but a much stronger set-up. Will it withstand further bad weather? Only time will tell.
    Al Clem
    Sedona, AZ

Mike,

How'd you attach that table to your saw? I can't tell from the pictures you posted. An out-feed table has been on my list for a long time....

Jack

Another successful Pinewood Derby in the history books for our Pack.
    No cars came off the track due to the track this year (paid more attention to alighning the track sections), so it was an improvement over last year. And, by drilling out the sensor holes a bit, the timing functioned flawlessly.
    The icing on the cake was the extra help available for setting up AND breaking down. It was VERY much appreciated.

Saturday afternoon/evening, we cleaned out the garage & my car now fits (which, much like Jim's wood, nearly guarantees no measurable snow this winter .

Yesterday after Church, I managed a bit of shop time... I mounted a [free] light and cleaned up a bit before playing with the kids.

All in all, a productive weekend.

I hope your weekend was as good as mine.

-Mike

I started by installing my first zero-clearance insert on a combo machine. Not as easy as I thought it would be because of the riving knife and scoring blade combined with multiple thicknesses required on the actual insert. In the end, I'm very happy with the result.

Next, I finished milling up the rails and stiles for some laundry room cabinet doors to cover the built-ins. I had originally decided to use stub tenons for the doors, but after taking a shaper seminar with fellow 'Creeker Sam Blasco I'm thinking of going with cope and stick instead and also using raised panels instead of 1/4" ply for the field. The shaper is opening up a whole new world of power, accuracy and flexibility. (Quick Note: The LOML refers to the shaper as "the spinning blades of death." It IS pretty scary without safety guards!).

Hope you all had a great weekend too!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hogoboom
    How'd you attach that table to your saw? I can't tell from the pictures you posted. An out-feed table has been on my list for a long time....
    Hinges are screwed to the rear rail...you can see them in the third picture
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I put two of the doors on my daughter's bookshelf/secretary, but she didn't get the old furniture cleared off enough to move it out. So the secretary is still laying on my bench.

I did make a face frame and the door stiles and rails for a linen cabinet I'm making for a service project. Just big box pine, to be painted. I could have started the shelves and door panels, but my son wasn't home to help me unload and maneuver the MDF. I'll get that on the way home today.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hogoboom
    Mike,

Jack
    I found a use for my bowed Delta extension table. I used a piano hinge and fastened it to the bottom of the table skirt and bottom of the rear angle iron. I only needed to shim the hinge at the table about 0.015" to keep the TS table just proud of the outfeed table. Also, for the support I found Sears had a roller stand for 1/2 price ($15). I took it apart and mounted it with a locking leg bracket (note, two sets of holes - when I centered the support it hit the dust port so I had to move it over a bit):

click thumbnails to enlarge

Got some Shop time in on Sunday. Needless to say nothing was actually produced! I sent hours at the 66 with my TS-Aligner doing my best to get the saw as accurate as possible without going nuts.

Final result is that I need to get some shim stock as my rack is 10 thou out when I tilt the saw 45 degrees. Everything else is VERY good (within 1 -2 thou on all other specs)

I spent so much time on this cause I am working on building a box next and I want perfect miters. I cut a prototype out of 1/2" Melamine (Thanks to Brad Noble, it came from the crate you sent, 1/2" Melamine is hard to come by out here). Glued it last night and have yet to see how bad it was. Looked like it was 3/32" out of square when I was gluing up last night.

It was this morning on the way to work that I realized I have a lock-miter bit that I bought a while back! I'm gonna set that up tonight and build yet another prototype and see how I like that one.

Started off Saturday with a plan of replacing my old fuse box in my shop with a breaker box. I need a 220 line, and the current box couldn't accommodate what I needed. After opening up the box, realized the line from the house was too small to handle the 220 also. Ended up digging a ditch, crawling underneath the house and running a new line. I was really surprised I got everything done and was testing out my new Unisaw before sunset. Sunday was church and resting my sore muscles from Saturday.

Excellent weekend here, got the larger TS sled done, the TS extensions done and the first of the wife's storage cabinets done, but not painted. Also finished the rack for clamps on the side of my plywood rack, and basicly spent the weekend hiding in the garage.
    Well...except for taking the wife out to eat Sat night and spending $70 on what make have been the most bland prime rib I have ever had.

All in all a pretty good weekend.

Al

Well, I was just planning on re-routing the PEX that feeds the washing machine and utility sink that runs off the water heater. Pretty clumsly looking retrofit done a few years ago.

Ended up running PEX through the entire house! Hybrid homerun system. 1/2" homerun hot water for kitchen and bath and shower. 3/4" cold water main with 1/2" t's for kitchen sink, bathroom sinks and both toilets.

It's a small house, ranch style house, just me and the wife. Tweaking or augmenting the system later on will be a snap.

Buh-bye noisy, hammering pipes.

In summary, last Tuesday I got my electrical upgrade final inspection handled, Saturday I got rid of my 48 year old 1/2" galvanized water lines.

I'm a happy camper.

Now I can begin converting the garage into a more proper shop.

I spent my weekend doing 6 RP doors and finishing up an art display case I've had going for some time now. Sorta slow, but nice to lay back a bit. I sprayed the case with pre-cat lacquer in between heating sessions in the spray room. Gotta heat it up turn off the heat, spray, clear the fumes, spray again and so on. I hate winter and spraying lacquer Better to do that than the alternative though BOOM!!!!!!! I know, no pics and it didn't happen, but pics will follow in the days to come.
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.