Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirrors - wow!

Mirrors - wow!

My mirror project continues - all the templates are ready.

Today I went to buy the actual glass mirror. It's oval with a 1" beveled edge. Wow, is it expensive. ~$325 for a 3x2 (approximately) mirror. It was reasonable enough until the cost of bevelling it was added. The bevelling alone was well over $200.

I have to wait for the mirror. Just enough time to quit hyperventilating.

What's your experience with mirrors - did you buy or can you cut them yourself? Is the cost lower somewhere other than the Milwaukee area?

I haven't done the mirror thing yet, but the particular glass I used in four tall cabinet doors in my kitchen cost over $200.

And yes, the beveling will add a chunk of change to the transaction...it's a lot of work. What's most important, however...is the end result. Which if we are to believe you, requires some camera work...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    John, I’ve made a few framed mirrors for gifts. I buy already framed mirrors from local furniture stores and toss the frame. I just design what I’m going to do around the cheaper mirror. The mirrors are 1/3 or less the cost of custom made mirrors.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Stock sized mirrors

Most glass suppliers have a series of beveled mirrors in stock sizes - ask about these before starting your project and design to suit if you can. My last mirror project used a 3 foot circle which cost me about 45 bucks. This was a good quality 1/4 inch mirror with a 1.5 inch bevel.

Custom beveling is expensive!

Blog Entries
    The LOML's jewelry cabinet has a non-beveled mirror. That design decision immediately followed my discovery that the beveled mirror would cost as much as ALL the raw materials for the piece.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by John Gornall
    Most glass suppliers have a series of beveled mirrors in stock sizes - ask about these before starting your project and design to suit if you can. ...
    That's what I've done in the past as well. Years ago I built a hall tree with a full length beveled mirror. I found the mirror at Sears, of all places, for far less than anywhere else and I designed the hall tree around that mirror. It worked out great and came in at a fraction of the cost of even buying a beveled mirror at a glass shop.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page
    I buy already framed mirrors from local furniture stores and toss the frame. I just design what I’m going to do around the cheaper mirror. The mirrors are 1/3 or less the cost of custom made mirrors.
    Yeah, great idea! But too late for me - the design is done, the templates are made.

This is an excellent idea for the next time.

Yes, there will be pictures. Eventually.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley
    The LOML's jewelry cabinet has a non-beveled mirror. That design decision immediately followed my discovery that the beveled mirror would cost as much as ALL the raw materials for the piece.
    Even if I'd simply used a custom oval mirror it would have been relatively inexpensive - maybe 85 bucks. It's the beveling that's costing.

I recall from long ago that beveling is the real money when using glass. Too bad I'd forgotten that. Or I might have compromised the design.

Anyway, I'm sure the bevel can only enhance it's appearance.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by John Piwaron
    Anyway, I'm sure the bevel can only enhance it's appearance.
    John, I agree, beveled glass is classy looking. My current project has 18 pieces of custom cut 6¾ X 10” X ¼, clear glass with a 1¼ bevel. I don’t even want to talk about how much that cost me.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page
    John, My current project has 18 pieces of custom cut 6¾ X 10” X ¼, clear glass with a 1¼ bevel. I don’t even want to talk about how much that cost me.

Plenty, I'm sure. But if I let price decide everything for me I might be shopping at Walmart and Ikea.

The projects one builds for ones self are supposed to be no compromise as good as it is possible to be done.

Any beveled glass can be pricey. The last mirror project was used with a standard off the shelf beveled mirror piece from Michael's, a craft supply chain store. Not sure what is in your area, but you might check with a craft supply store or similar store. Some of the big box stores also have pre-cut glass in stock. Worth a try. Good luck.

Good quality mirror

I go to a glass wholesale and get 5 mil or thicker high quality mirrors. There is a difference in the look of a cheap import mirror at the borg or a craft store and it will make your project look much better. The cheap ones can have only 3/4 inches of bevel - I like the look of 1 1/2 inches bevel on a thick mirror. I have also tried some of the mirrors with dark glass - about 35% light absorption - makes the wood come forward and the mirror drop back in the visual appearance. Also used a blue tinted mirror once - quite dramatic.

this vid shows a mirror being beveled if anyone is curious.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngo0P1F8uG8

Have you checked Home Depot? I think the Borg has a stock beveled oval mirror.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

These are the type mirrors I make and have thought about the bevel glass but after hearing the price it was way out of line. Would not get the price back. I tried cuting thes shapes myself but found it to be more difficult than it looks so have it done professionally now and pretty resonable too.

Last edited by John Terefenko; 01-30-2007 at 10:34 PM.
    John T.