Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MM20 Dust Collection

MM20 Dust Collection

Any of you SMC people know where I can purchase a reducer from 5 inch hose to a 4 inch dust port on my MM20 saw? My dust collector uses a 5 inch hose and it fits all my other shop machines. I need something that will slip over the 4 inch port on the saw and increase up to the ID of a 5 inch hose. I checked all lumber and hardware places and nobody locally carries anything larger than a 4 inch in PVC. No adapters avaliable in my area. What did you guys do to get dust removal for your MM16 and MM20 saws? Thanks for any information. I do not have a central system just a portable roll aroung machine I hook up to what ever machine I am using at the time.

James Huntsville, Tx.

Something like this??

-- 7-step adapter provides a multitude of dust collection reducing options. Outside diameter sizes include 1", 2", 2-1/2", 3", 4", 5" and 6". Measures 9-1/2" L x 6" W x 6" Deep.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10472

I used a galvanized heating duct reducer. 5">4". I used mine to step down from my old 1 hp DC inlet to a 4" hose. Not sure how it'd fit a 5" hose, though.

Hi James,

I've made shop built reduces out of stacked up scrapes of plywood ( 3 to 4" stacks), simply cut a hole to fit the MM20's dust port od & cut the outside to fit the hose's id, preferably with a tapper to give it a friction fit.

Or you can spin it on a lathe to make the outside tapper fit for the hose.

You can also use this to reduce a dust gate to fit a smaller dust port on a machine.

Hope this helps,
    jim
    Life is just a series of projects.........

Try AHS

http://www.airhand.com/category.asp

they'll have em for @ 24 bucks, or will custom fit if the MM has a metric port for about $30.

I've tried the step downs and I think they are rubbish, they work but not as well as a tapered reducer. You spent a bit of coin on the MM, don't skimp on the accessories to run it properly.

James -

I think I got it from Oneida. It's a single long taper 5 to 4" diameters. I also had a 6 to 5 to 5 wye made locally from a sheet metal / ductwork supply house locally....give that a shot too- 24 guage sheetmetal...

Quote Originally Posted by James Jones
    Any of you SMC people know where I can purchase a reducer from 5 inch hose to a 4 inch dust port on my MM20 saw? My dust collector uses a 5 inch hose and it fits all my other shop machines. I need something that will slip over the 4 inch port on the saw and increase up to the ID of a 5 inch hose. I checked all lumber and hardware places and nobody locally carries anything larger than a 4 inch in PVC. No adapters avaliable in my area. What did you guys do to get dust removal for your MM16 and MM20 saws? Thanks for any information. I do not have a central system just a portable roll aroung machine I hook up to what ever machine I am using at the time.
    FYI. The dust port on the MM bandsaws isn't exactly 4", it's 100mm or something similar. Anything rigid may have a hard time fitting over it. In fact, the 100mm fitting from oneida also won't fit my MM16, even though the MM16 port is sized as advertised.

Pete

Can't tell you about a taper/reducer. I do believe in PVC, it goes from 4" to 6". I've never seen PVC in 5". If you need something slightly larger to help fit a 4" to 5" metal taper or reducer, get a short piece of 4" SD 2729 thin wall PVC(sewer and drain, not the schedule 40 or 80). It is a very tight fit on the MM 100 mm port. Tight enough not to need any sealant!! Might need to bevel the edge after cutting to get it started. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brown
    FYI. The dust port on the MM bandsaws isn't exactly 4", it's 100mm or something similar. Anything rigid may have a hard time fitting over it. In fact, the 100mm fitting from oneida also won't fit my MM16, even though the MM16 port is sized as advertised.

Pete
    This is correct..... I had to cut the fitting from Oneida with sheet metal shears to get a friction fit......
    I really wish the port was on the little 'sliding cover' underneath the table - so you could get the DC port closer to the blade guides - I think that's where it should be! Maybe a modification...but I guess is doesn't bother me enough....YET!

The port on the machine is a 100mm port which is a proverbial hair over 4". Oneida's 4" hose can be stretched over it, so rather than having a big, fat adapter at the machine, use the flex hose and reduce closer to the drop. This is exactly what I did for my MM16 and it works wonderfully. No need to buy an expensive 100mm to 5" adapter, IMHO.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    James, This was my solution for my MM16. I don’t know why it wouldn’t work for the MM20 too.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=10090

Opps, I didn't read your post all of the way through.
    I use a four inch hose to connect to the BS.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 01-29-2007 at 8:41 PM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Bruce--that is a "great" solution! Why didn't I think of that?

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Mason
    Bruce--that is a "great" solution! Why didn't I think of that?
    Not everybody is as lazy as I am...
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Maybe I'm lazy, or don't understand the physics of dust collection, but I simply wrapped the outside of my MM16 dust collectin port with duck tape until my 5 inch flex hose fit with a friction fit. I certainly don't see any negative performance impacts from doing it this way, although I suppose that there could be. Also, it was free and easy, if not very elegant.

Mike

Blog Entries
    http://www.ptreeusa.com/dustfittings.htm Part number 438 at Peachtree, $4.50.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler