Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4' Flourescent Light Fixtures, Recessed

Recessed flourescents

I bought, at one of the big stores, some of the 2' x 4' fixtures designed for T bar ceilings. As my ceiling joists were 24" oc, the fixtures wouldn't quite go between the 2x4 joists. My ceiling is drywalled so I laid out the length and cut between the trusses (joists). I then made a frame of 1x2 and fastened this through the drywall, leaving enough space for the lip of the fixture to fit. Once in place the fixture fit on the surface mount frame and fastened up easily. I think the fixtures were about thirty bucks for a four bulb fixture.

You will need to change to T8 lamps with the electronic ballasts. There is a retrofit kit available to change a T12 fixture into a T8 but it may be most cost effective and easier to replace the fixtures, the T8 and T12 fixtures are wired differently.

You will be very happy with the increase in light output.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen
    I am considering the replacement of all my old ballasts with electronic ballasts. I currently have 12 fixtures, each with four 40W T12 four foot bulbs. I was going to just replace the ballasts with a single electronics ballast that would support all for T12 bulbs. Do I need to go with T8 bulbs? I'd prefer the most light I can get with the existing fixtures...joe
    You can get one ballast to do four T8 bulbs. Officially, all T12 bulbs and ballasts will be off the market by 2010. Already, new fixtures can only be purchase as T8 or T5 which are much more environmentally friendly. Also, T8 lights draw less electricity, and give off more light. I am converting my home over, as fixtures break down.

Richard.