Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some TASER info

"""""""""
    The cartridge case on a .38 is shorter than a .357, so you can get some fouling at the front of the chambers...nothing a good cleaning won't cure.
    Probably more rounds than even a serious shooter would go though.
    Nothing I would even worry about though.

I probably run thousands of .38 rounds though the S&W 686 shooting steel matches, and still used the gun with .357's for deer hunting, never had any problems.

imho the problem with practicing with a light gun and high power loads is the flinch that usually comes with it, using the reduced loads helps stop that...usually..

Al

Taser Info.

I always carry a small SW revolver,Chief model Light Weight. I have SNAKE SHOT in the cylinders. I tell Moma,that if she uses it aim for the face. It will not kill the bad guy,but he will NEVER ATTACK ANTONE EVER AGAIN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Willits
    """""""""
    The cartridge case on a .38 is shorter than a .357, so you can get some fouling at the front of the chambers...nothing a good cleaning won't cure.
    Probably more rounds than even a serious shooter would go though.
    Nothing I would even worry about though.

I probably run thousands of .38 rounds though the S&W 686 shooting steel matches, and still used the gun with .357's for deer hunting, never had any problems.

imho the problem with practicing with a light gun and high power loads is the flinch that usually comes with it, using the reduced loads helps stop that...usually..

Al

As I mentioned previously, I generally target shot my .357 with .38 ammo and I sure haven't seen anything wrong with the piece. Of course, I probably only shot between 500 and 1000 rounds with it.

One thing about a light weight .357 revolver (there seem to be several variations of this for sale), it seems to me that this thing would be murder to practice shoot. My late wife used to have a two shot derringer (don't remember the brand, probably some type of Saturday night special) of .38 special caliber. I shot that thing just one time and it scared the sh...t out of me. I mean, sheesh, I thought the thing blew up in my hand. I really didn't want to ever shoot it again, and I didn't. What I don't know if that thing was any smaller than these light weight S&W's and Taurus' that seem to be popular with the guys here. Any thoughts?...........
    Wolf Kiessling

In the pursuit of excellence, there is reward in the creation of a wondrous relationship between the artisan and the soul of the tree

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl
    Wolf, I'm glad you are considering a handgun over a taser. A good friend of mine has 2 sons who are cops. Both in large, metro areas. Both have stories of tasing guys 3,4 and 5 times with no effect because the perps were hopped up on drugs--the type of people you'd probably have to defend yourself against, were that situation to occur. Personally, I like my .45 Colt Commander for carry. It's been very reliable--I don't believe that in the 1000 or so rounds I've put through it that it has ever jammed. If I were to go smaller, I'd go with something like a .380 pocket pistol, double action only.

Sheesh, what your friend's sons say is pretty telling. That pretty much decides for sure that I won't get a taser......

The main reason I like the revolvers over the semi-automatics is that I have never heard of a revolver jam. I have even thought about it and don't see how they could jam.

I've been looking at the S&W and Taurus web sites and see that both brands have steel, aluminum and titanium weapons available. Naturally, the titanium and aluminum are the lightest and light is of a great deal of interest to me. I am wondering if an aluminum piece would hold up. I know titanium would but that is really expensive and I'm not sure I would want to spend that kind of money. Also, anybody have any opinions on two brands of guns I keep hearing about all the time, H&K and Glock? You can probably tell by now that I don't know a great deal about guns.......
    Wolf Kiessling

In the pursuit of excellence, there is reward in the creation of a wondrous relationship between the artisan and the soul of the tree

As a cop that carries a taser daily and having used it twice in contact mode, I am not impressed with the taser as a means of self defense. I have been OC sprayed 4 times (once was enough but each of the 3 instructor schools I attended required it) and being tased I would recommend OC over a taser.

Depending on your goal, if you want to stop a deadly threat, a handgun is the only real option. When cops use tasers it is just to cause a temporary disfunction so we can go hands on and take someone into custody, and typically 2 or 3 cops to one suspect. For self defense, OC would close the attackers eyes and give you distance to escape better than a taser in my opinion.

Our department buys ours from taser international, they are the only vendor I would consider. Our X26 models cost aqbout $900, plus $20 per cartridge. We buy the extended warranties as they are used 24/7 and subjected to all types of weather. They are small units, about the size of a little Glock, but the holsters are bulky and would be cumbersome to conceal.

Since everyone else is discussing their handgun preferences I have to stand up for my Sig 228 9mm, with +P+ hollow points. It's dropped more deer than most hunting rifles, but of course the deer were slowed down by impact with a car first.

A reputation for craftsmanship is a responsibility
    to never take lightly.

I own the H&K USP model in .45, I think it is a better weapon than the Glock, but the Glock is quite popular, and a bit cheaper.
    As to which is better for you, try to find a gun store/shooting range that rents pistols, shoot them both and see which one you like.

Both have smaller version that work well for carry.

I don't think I'd worry about how long either the Titanium or aluminum will last, most people won't come close to shooting out one of these guns.
    Also if pistol shooting becomes something you do on a regular basis, chances are you'll look for a pistol a bit more suited for target practice.

Might also want to see if there's any USPSA or IDPA matches going on in your area, good way to learn familiarity with your pistol and have fun.

As long as I'm rambling...try to take some self defense classes on carry, there is imho a whole new mindset to carry.
    Mental awareness, keeping out of troublesome locations, when you can and more importantly can not use deadly force, how to carry and with what, what to do if you have to pull the trigger, what loads you can and shouldn't use, list goes on.

Personally I live a different life style now that I carry, and for God's sake I hope I never have to use deadly force, but if I do, I will shoot to kill.
    Using a round that just may PO a attacker, like bird shot or? is foolish imho.
    So, for those considering carry, please be careful and get get as much training as you can, your life or financial well being may depend on it, remember, using deadly force will almost guarantee a legal battle.

Rant...off

Al...who thinks this is probably the most mellow gun post he's seen in awhile....

I don't mean to pick on you, Al, but I don't care much for the phrase, "shoot to kill". IMHO, there is no such thing. You shoot to stop the attack, no more, no less. If that is fatal, so be it. Center torso, high-probability shot, shoot until they stop or drop. Learning your local laws is good, but I'd rather be alive and in jail than legal and dead because I was too afraid of a lawsuit or criminal charge to shoot. And, yes, I have carried illegally into unsavory areas of this country (my permit wasn't good in those particular places).

BTW, I envy your USP .45...nice gun...I can't stand Glocks.

Jason
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Jason your point is vaild, and but I may not have been clear enough, techinally you may shoot to stop a threat, to keep the laywers happy, but I've been taught you shoot to kill, not wound.
    And that is what I meant by shoot to kill.
    Al

ps...pick on me all ya want...I'm married and used to it...
    Last edited by Al Willits; 02-01-2007 at 8:42 AM.

May I remind participants in this topic that the SMC audience includes minors and others who may not be comfortable with the discussion. Please remember who your total potential audience is. It may be a good idea to continue in-depth talk off-SMC via email or PM. I believe that Wolf's initial question was answered in the first few posts. I'll leave it open and "here" for now, but reserve the initiative to move the thread out. If that happens, it's only because of what I wrote in the first sentence of this post.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Jim
    SMC Moderator
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-01-2007 at 12:25 PM.

Fair enough, Jim--no more "gory details" from me.

Al, I've been married a while too--I know what you mean!
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore