Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood storage Racks

Wood storage Racks

I have just rearanged my shop and I am looking for some shop built ideas for lumber racks. I have see the triton system at Rockler but I would think I could build something for less than the $64 cost of the Triton. I am looking for any pictures or plans for ideas.

2. Lee Valley has several brackets that might help...see http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...45&cat=1,43326

I looked at various systems shop made and premade. I opted for spending $ instead of time so I settled on these from Lee Valley http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...44&cat=1,43326. the double bracket on the shelf takes a bit more room than i might like but I'm using them in a more overhead environment where they work fine. DIY has a similar system made out of wood http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/wk_pla...275270,00.html as well as some good references.

Some where between Buffalo and Rochester NY
    Your local box store sells the heavy duty adjustable shelving componets. This could be done fairly simple.

Hi !!!,

This is low tech, but will hold 100's of bd ft of lumber...

Let's say you have 8' ceilings....

I screw two 2 x 4's-8' "face to face", then drill a hole at a 2 1/2 degree angle for 3/4" black pipe. I space the holes at 18", or 4 "shelves" of 3/4" black pipe per doubled 2 x 4's. I lag these to the studs 16" oc. The black pipe is cut to 20", thus the stick out about 17" from the wall.

Hope this helps,
    jim
    Life is just a series of projects.........

Here's a very old picture of my current rack that accomodates both solid stock and sheet goods. Since this picture, it's been relocated and reversed, but has served me well. I plan on building a similar one on the second floor of my shop shortly for additional storage.

lumberrack-1.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Free standing cantilever design

Quote Originally Posted by John Branam
    I am looking for any pictures or plans for ideas.
    You didn't say how much room you have. Most people don't like to take a lot of room for wood storage so they are reluctant to use a free standing design. The popular choice seems to be wall mounted brackets for shelving type storage. If space is at a premium then your options are limited.

I used to have the wall mounted storage and I found it thoroughly frustrating. There wasn't enough storage, poor access since the largest boards were stacked at the bottom creating a big pile, and I couldn't ever find anything without unloading several shelves.

So I opted to build a free standing cantilever shelving system with a middle bay for additional storage. I based my design on Bob Key's old design while he still had his shop. His website is permanently down but here is an archived link
    http://web.archive.org/web/200412150...m/bws/rack.htm

It's easy to build with just dimensional lumber and it is stronger than you'll ever need if you double up the tree supports as he suggests. A good bit of the strength comes from it being anchored to both the floor and ceiling. I climb on it like a ladder to reach the top shelf where I store some 8/4 12" wide stock I'm saving for my ultimate workbench as well as some other stuff I want to age for a while.

This design gives me a total of 12 outer shelves and 6 middle bays I can access from the end. One additional advantage is that the four support trees are independent and If I ever need to move the rack I just detach each tree from the floor and ceiling and move them one at a time. But I doubt I'll ever need to do that.

I regret not designating more space for wood storage sooner. It really helps to have surplus stock on hand in addition to an order for a current project. I always blow a mortise placement at least once on every job and it's nice to have plenty of stock in inventory to avoid another trip to the hardwood supplier.

I can't tell you how much more I enjoy using this design since I can keep five times as much wood on hand as I could with my wall mounted system. I don't regret using all the space one bit in my 900 sq. foot shop. It takes up about 60 square feet, it runs all the way to the 10 foot high ceiling, and I can access it from all sides. I also attached a 24" upright plywood bay at the end for sheet goods. Good luck with whatever you choose.
    Last edited by Dennis Hatchett; 01-31-2007 at 12:27 AM.
    Yes Dear, I could build that for you if I only had that new ...

I also opted for the Lee Valley unit. The specs state that the rack will hold 600 lbs. at the wall end and 300 lbs. at the outside end of the bracket. During construction I added 2x12 blocks between the studs for extra strength. I then attached the 2x4's to those brackets. This is what it looks like now. More wood to come!

rack1.jpg

Arent the home depot adjustable shelves alot cheaper,but the same. There 6 ft standard is 12.00 as opposed to home depot at 8.00
    Measure twice and cut once and swear three times

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Hatchett
    You didn't say how much room you have. Most people don't like to take a lot of room for wood storage so they are reluctant to use a free standing design. .
    I have room for a free standing set up, but I am leaning more toward a wall mounted set up. I do not have a lot of wood to store right now but that will change this summer. I also want to incorporate sheet good storage, most of which is 4'x4' or smaller.

Just last weekend I was facing the same dilema. I didn't feel like forking over the $65.00 for the rack at Woodcraft. For what I was looking to accomplish I needed; no adjustability, use no floor space, and hold less than about 250#. What I ended up doing was buying some 2' lengths of black water pipe and having threads put onto both ends of them. I lag-bolted a 1" floor-flange into the framing and screwed the pipes into it good and tight. For the other end, I put caps on them and ran a safety cable through holes I drilled through the caps and into the ceiling framing (mine are overhead). I go about 190#+ and I hung from each pipe after it was in and it didn't budge at all. I think I have $20.00 in the project and I built three racks.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Fox
    Just last weekend I was facing the same dilema. I didn't feel like forking over the $65.00 for the rack at Woodcraft. For what I was looking to accomplish I needed; no adjustability, use no floor space, and hold less than about 250#. What I ended up doing was buying some 2' lengths of black water pipe and having threads put onto both ends of them. I lag-bolted a 1" floor-flange into the framing and screwed the pipes into it good and tight. For the other end, I put caps on them and ran a safety cable through holes I drilled through the caps and into the ceiling framing (mine are overhead). I go about 190#+ and I hung from each pipe after it was in and it didn't budge at all. I think I have $20.00 in the project and I built three racks.
    Do you have a picture that you could post?

Wooden 2x2 wall rack

I built this a few years ago, and have no regrets...
    7219WallRack.jpg

More details...
    http://web.mac.com/sgmatthews/iWeb/C...od%20Rack.html

I went the HomeDepot route myself. Fast, easy and plenty strong! Oh yea, inexpensive as well! (I'm talking about the heavy-duty stuff, of course)

Dennis, thanks for posting that link; I've been trying to remember where I saw that rack for months. Its just the thing I need for the new shop!