Thread: Feedback on the Grizzly G0490 jointer

Feedback on the Grizzly G0490 jointer

I'm considering purchasing the Grizzly G0490 8" jointer parallelogram bed jointer. Other than the wheel adjusters in place of the lever adjusters, it looks like a copy of the Delta DJ-20. I've read the 2005 review on 8" jointers in Fine Woodworking and was surprised by the results. Can anyone provide feedback on their own experience with this jointer?

just run a search on this unit here and you'll find a load of positive responses for the most part.

John,

You are absolutely correct and my post was dashed off a little too hastily this morning. I'm really after any comments on the flatness of the beds and fence as well as any comments on fit/finish beyond the already extensive prior discussion on the belt guard "clang". I'm also interested in assessments on the quality and performance of the motor. My apologies for not being more specific.

Doug,

I just bought the Shop Fox clone locally & saved about $125. (plus it comes with a 2 year warranty) (NOTE they appear to be the same machine... I downloaded the G0490 manual and they are basically the same... just formatting differences)

My base was damaged, but my local retailer exchanged it the next day.

The beds were slightly off (about 1/128") It took me about 1 hour to dial it in.

I tried a few test pieces and was very pleased.

Mine makes the infamous belt slap sound, no biggie for me...

Hope this helps!

-jj

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Lee
    I'm considering purchasing the Grizzly G0490 8" jointer parallelogram bed jointer. Other than the wheel adjusters in place of the lever adjusters, it looks like a copy of the Delta DJ-20. I've read the 2005 review on 8" jointers in Fine Woodworking and was surprised by the results. Can anyone provide feedback on their own experience with this jointer?
    I have one. It's great. The motor has been fine. I don't have the clang, but I think people have gotten rid of it by adjusting the belt tension.

Some people have complained about poor dust collection and I sort of have to agree. One g0490 owner examined the DC situation and noticed that there was no top to the dust chute funnel. He fabbed up a piece of plywood and hot-glued it in place improving the performance. I'm about to put a much bigger DC on it though so maybe I won't need the mod. It's not a big deal anyway.

The built in mobile base is adequate but not great. It's a bit tippy.

Twice the power of a dj-20 for less money, it's a great deal.

brian

Brian and Joseph,

Thank you for the feedback. Helpful and appreciated. In both cases, based on what you didn't say, it seems that you have not had any issues with flatness of the beds, maintenance of coplanar orientation during infeed bed adjustment, or bowing of the fence.

I will probably now make the six hour trip to PA and take a closer look.

Brian and Joseph,

Thank you for the feedback. Helpful and appreciated. In both cases, based on what you didn't say, it seems that you have not had any issues with flatness of the beds, maintenance of coplanar orientation during infeed bed adjustment, or bowing of the fence.
    My fence and tables were as flat as I could measure. Admittedly, I don't have a starrett straight edge. But no light under the one I have. The fence was as flat as I could tell also. The only thing that needed adjustment was the 90 degree stop on the fence.

I will probably now make the six hour trip to PA and take a closer look.
    I've been dying to go to mine. It's about a 9 hour drive to MO though. I'd have to bring a trailer so I can fill it with money on the way there and machines on the way back.

brian

Grizz jointer

I own the G0856 & have had it for going on 2 years now. I have not had anything to complain about (other than it not being wide enough occasionally so some boards see a Neander approach).
    It arrived packaged well, although I had it delivered to my work with a dock & fork truck, might have needed the neighborhood to unload at home. The tables were very well aligned out of the box, maybe I was just lucky - no daylight seen under 4' straight egde. Blade height was spot on too checked by dial indicator.
    The only "difficulties" I've had have been with curly maple & flame birch, no shock as they're both known to not play nicely surfacing tools.
    If I hadn't bought extra blades that I haven't used yet, I'd upgrade to Bryd cutter head, but I need to chew up the spares before that addition.
    In retrospect, I might have been better off with a 12" machine, buy one and only one that way.... instead of wanting to upgrade down the road.
    But the Big Bear Brand has done me well.

Another vote for Grizzly... I have the G0586 8" jointer, no complaints, it does it's job very well.

G0490

I have had my jointer for almost a year now (got it in March 2006). Been using it daily and have had no trouble what so ever. It has ate various kinds of lumber from pine to hickory and tons of it. This is a great machine and I have no trouble with dust collection except it will fills my 2 - 55 gal drums up in no time. I have put this machine through the paces and am very pleased with it. I also own the Grizz 15" planer and outside of a little oil leak from the gearbox drain plug (that I need to correct) it also is a fantastic machine. Hats off to Grizzly!!!!

Michael

I've had my GO490 for about a year now, without any complaints. Tremendous machine, IMHO. No problems at all. I did put a link belt on it and bought a second set of knives, so I always have sharp ones on hand. Smooth running and cutting. Love it.
    Alan & Lynette Mikkelsen, Mountain View Farm Gardens & Fine Woodworking, St. Ignatius, MT. Visitors Welcome!

John,

I'm really after any comments on the flatness of the beds and fence as well as any comments on fit/finish beyond the already extensive prior discussion on the belt guard "clang".
    My beds are flat beyond expectations and they came adjusted perfectly. I measured using a 50" Veritas straight edge and feeler gauge. I think that it will take several years to assess the quality of the motor. So far it is fine.
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 02-03-2007 at 4:21 PM.

All,

Thank you for the feedback. Based on the comments to this thread, Lar's well done review, and the other threads on the G0490 here, it seems like a much better value than I expected.

Brian,

If I took the trip to Muncy, I'd have to take a trailer also - however, I'm now going to have a G0490 delivered. I'm now afraid that if I go in person, I'll come back with more than I went for.

Here is my initial review plus a few updates

Initial Review
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=31022
    Followup
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32399
    Another followup after more use
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=45772