Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Jointer Refurbish--as promised!

Old Jointer Refurbish--as promised!

(Warning: Several long posts with lots of pictures)

There is probably a thread here once a month or so that discusses the virtues of an 8” jointer over a 6” jointer. Most folks consider it a worthy upgrade. A few months ago I added the riser block to my 14” bandsaw, giving it now 12+” of resaw height capability. My friend, Rich (who helped with the riser kit), said, “Now you need a bigger jointer. And forget those 8” or 10” machines. If you can resaw 12”, you need a 12” jointer. Or 16” would be even better.” But I really couldn’t afford a new 16” jointer or combo machine. “Naaah,” said Rich, who is an “old tool” aficionado and who doesn’t trust machines newer than, say, 1950. “Get an old, used machine. Much cheaper. And so much better! I’ll look for you.” I said okay. Uh oh! What did I do?! There is not much that Rich likes better than finding deals on old machines, refurbishing them, and getting them to be used as they were intended. It didn’t take him long.

Meet “Frank”—the new man in my shop.

Frank is a two-knife, 16” Frank H. Clement jointer. The Clement jointer was the model for many “3-legged” jointers to come from Clement, American, Yates, etc. Based on that history and where Frank came from, we think he dates back to the late 1800’s (maybe 1890’s). While there is a “No. 98” written on the front left of the machine, that is not his serial number; they were probably numbering the machines in the shop for some kind of inventory when they were moving or selling it. He came from the Finch Machine Co. in West Pittstown, PA (originally, the Finch company was in Scranton). Finch was a general foundry and machine shop that made turbine water wheels, engines, coal mining machinery, circular saw mills, iron fronts for buildings, steam heat parts, manhole covers, and repaired trains on the Delaware/Lackawanna line. Most of the forms built for the foundry would have been jointed on Frank. But when he arrived at my shop, it appeared Frank hadn’t been in use for a long time and needed a lot of cleaning up to get into usable shape. Lots of rust, sawdust cakes, and unidentifiable gunk. Boy, did that make Rich happy. I just wondered what the heck I’d gotten myself into.

Here are a bunch of “before” pictures. You can see the rusty mess on tables, cutterhead, cutterhead bolts, pulley, and the mess on the underside of the table supports. The cutterhead bolts were torqued on there so tightly, we had a devil of a time getting them off. Yes, in getting them loose, I said several words that would make a devil proud. But we got them off and cleaned them up and you wouldn’t recognize them. I had to get a machinist buddy of mine to make a special wrench for these bolts (thanks Pete!). He let me help make it, so I got a great lesson in machining steel, to boot. Most of the jointer’s parts are original, although it appears that sometime in the early 1900’s the cutterhead was replaced with one by Oliver (a good move). The knives were in decent shape, although I splurged and bought a new set so I can have a spare when they need sharpening. Now before all of you old-tool-fans-in-the-know exclaim and caution me against this clamshell cutterhead, let me say that I read about some of potential problems with these bolts. We cleaned and closely inspected every thread on every bolt and were very careful not to overtorque when reassembling. For “hobbyist” usage, this machine is safe and just fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Refurbish continued

Here are the undertable, pulley, and Frank's label.

Refurbish Part 2

Frank arrived on a flatbed truck. The guy I bought it from (a carver and woodworker who now spends much of his time buying and selling old machines) drove it down from his home in NY and helped get it off the truck (Absolutely priceless! Thanks, Jeff!). We had to disassemble it and slide each piece down heavy oak planks into the shop. Each table and table support must weigh 50 tons! Well, perhaps I exaggerate a little. Maybe they only weigh a ton each. ;-) Whatever. All I know is it took several people to get each one off the truck and 2 of us to drag it across the shop. But the main body with cutterhead still attached, we took off in one piece. I’m still not sure how on earth we got that off the truck without anybody getting killed or squished a little. With that last piece on the ground, Jeff said “You’d better decide where it’s going to go now. Once you clean and reassemble, you won’t want to be moving it, with all that weight.” Little did he know Ellis Wallentine would show up a few weeks later and decide I should rearrange my shop, Frank included! LOL! But 3 of us actually managed to slide Frank across the room without too much difficulty. And now he’s in a much better location. Thanks, Ellis!

Rich and I spent many Sundays working on the restoration. Removing that much rust is very good aerobic exercise. Half a gallon of WD-40 later and I can proudly say there is no rust on that beast. Once we got hold of a semi-usable wrench to try to get those bolts removed (a process that destroyed the poor wrench, so I had to commission one to reassemble), Rich dismantled the cutterhead, cleaned all the bolts, jibs, and other parts, and filed down the nicks and burrs. I scrubbed away at the rusty tables and fence. He took apart the oilers and cleaned out years of clogged gunk from those. I scrubbed the rusty tables. He scraped poorly poured babbet, so that when reassembled, every surface that should get oiled, does. I scrubbed rust. We put a wire wheel on one side of my grinder. With that we made bolts and gearshafts look like new. No more rust!

I had an electrician come to install 220 in my shop. I found a good, used 5hp single phase motor. Rich had a pulley for it and the necessary 4” belting and a lacer (so cool!). He also had an old box with fuses to use for an on/off switch (I spray painted it black to match Frank). My barn has a big steel girder in the center, so we designed a bracket to mount the motor to the girder. I made a bracket for the switchbox to hang from the girder right over the jointer, too. The original punch-out holes on the old box had one on the side. I got a plug and we moved the wiring to the bottom, so the cables would look neater.

Here are the infeed gear and outfeed gear (cleaned, but before the table supports were reinstalled), the front and rear oilers (sorry—no detailed pix of the babbet). Next are shots of the motor mounted, the belt attached, and the switchbox.

Refurb Part 2 continued

Here are shots of the belt, lacing, motor and switch.

Joanne -

Frank is a lucky guy to have such good care.

Well Done!

Ted

Jointer Refurbish--Part 3

When we finally got everything cleaned, the motor and switch wired and mounted, new knives set and tables adjusted, we carefully powered him up. Between the big pulley and belt off the 5 hp motor and that huge cutterhead, there is enough vibration, believe it or not, to make that beast move ever so slightly. Not much. But enough to make the belt too loose. Time for Plan B. With radiant heat pex tubes somewhere under the new cement floor, I was loathe to drill into the cement to bolt Frank in place. Instead, I cut out little plywood brackets and used Liquid Nails to adhere them to the floor, around each leg. Unfortunately, the tube of Liquid Nails that I had on hand had been opened. I was unsure whether that stuff goes bad or loses its strength. We squeezed some out and remixed it and tried it anyway. I let it cure for several days before I braved turning the motor on again. Apparently, that glue does not go bad (at least mine didn’t)—it seems to be holding well.

Here are 2 huge, shiny, rust-free tables, a view of a 16” knife, the cleaned cutterhead with funky bolts and the great wrench we made. There is a shop-made guard (not quite as old as Frank) that is a character-filled piece of oak. In front of that is a rabbeting fixture.

Around back you can see the infeed table wheel (no, that big wheel is NOT the helm or rudder on the aircraft carrier), cool knobs that hold the fence, and the belt on the pulley. I didn’t have a 15 or 16” piece of wood handy to try out, but here is a 9” piece of cherry—room to spare! Finally, since dust collectors and cyclones were not high priorities when Frank was born, I had to make a box with a dust collection chute to hook up to the dc. It works pretty well. A few chips fly out the top, but then, they do that on my Jet 6” jointer, too.

Huge thanks to Rich Polinski for hours of work on Frank. I learned so much on this project. It’s a lot of work to refurbish an old tool, but very rewarding. And far less expensive than buying something with this capacity in a new machine. Thanks for checking out my new man. If you’re in eastern PA and need some wide boards flattened, give a holler and come visit.

Final Jointer Refurb shots

Here are the last shots of the beast from the rear, a shot showing off the width (16"!!), and shots of the dc box I built for him.

Thanks for viewing. Hope this inspires some folks to revitalize some old iron. If I can do this, anyone can.

Thanks for posting this, Joanne! And I will personally attest to the boys and girls at SMC that this is a really fine machine in a wonderful shop!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Joanne, thanks for the post. That restoration is definately an inspiration and "eye opener" for me. Perhaps all new machines isn't always the best way to go.

I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures of your shop and work.
    Last edited by Don Bullock; 01-31-2007 at 9:59 PM.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Joanne, it's a beautiful machine and a really nice restore job. But, please, please replace that cutterhead ASAP. It is an Oliver clamshell head which was discontinued in the 1940s. Its design is suspect in that either through fatique or un-uniform bolt torquing, the "clamshell" covers can come loose, throwing the blade and creating general havoc. There's a thread running right now on the OWWM forum about two such recent accidents. I guess I can't post the link to that discussion which is a shame as it is a serious safety issue. PM me if you can't locate it. Here's a picture from a thrown clamshell a week ago. Fortunately no one was hurt...
    jointeraccident002.jpg
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

VERY nice restore job....you should be proud....WELL DONE!!!
    Jerry

Thank for the documentary, Joanne. I am very impressed to see that you were able to bring this beast back to life. It looks good enough to place in a museum. I would heed Bill's advice and consider installing a safer cutterhead. I don't think OSHA was around back in the day when this behemoth was made. Maybe you could get Byrd Shelix for it? That would be really cool! Expensive, but really cool .

If only Dev were here...you'd put a tear in his eye.

Thanks again for taking the time to post this. Your shop looks really classy.

Congratulations on the restore job. That's a great accomplishment. It's amazing how things were made back then with grace and beauty. I know it's named Frank, but curved legs like that have a definite feminine look to me. Heavy, but feminine.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Yes what Bill said. I like the older machines myself. I try to keep them as original as possable but sometimes its best to "update" somethings. You have a nice machine and works well. Too a little investment on another head might save a serious accident later.
    Nice job on the resto too. Do consider the update. Ask around in the OWWM room and maybe someone can help you out with a newer head and help you with the update
    Reg
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius--and a lot of courage--to move in the opposite direction."

--Albert Einstein

Very cool

That is an amazing thread, and the pictorial journey was fun. I suppose it would be poor form to inquire how much coin went into the thing? (I know an abundance of sweat was paid - maybe some blood and tears too!?)