Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shiraz please make a slot mortiser

Shiraz please make a slot mortiser

If there is one great machine that this country needs it a decently priced slot mortiser. Not a boring machine that needs to be rigged in some way, but a true slot mortiser. It would be great if Grizzly would make one. First, it would be priced to sell. Secondly, Grizzly would back it up. And last, and perhaps not least, you could find out the price just by looking it up on the Grrizzly site without any coy "contact us for pricing games" such as those played by Rojek et. al.

I am surprised Jet, Grizzly nor Rikon did a PTO for a slot mortiser on their 12" J/Ps, I can only guess price point pressure prevented it.

They did at one time
    Attached Images Attached Images

Laguna has an inexpensive import, and their page says free shipping.

I have a feeling it's a tool that doesn't sell nearly as well as tablesaws, jointers, planers, drill presses and bandsaws.

I see them used around here fairly often, too.

Quote Originally Posted by michael case View Post
    If there is one great machine that this country needs it a decently priced slot mortiser. Not a boring machine that needs to be rigged in some way, but a true slot mortiser. It would be great if Grizzly would make one. First, it would be priced to sell. Secondly, Grizzly would back it up. And last, and perhaps not least, you could find out the price just by looking it up on the Grrizzly site without any coy "contact us for pricing games" such as those played by Rojek et. al.

+1!!!! I'd be second in line behind Michael to buy one! I have looked at the Laguna, but heard mixed reviews. And I constantly keep an eye on the used market for one. From what I understand about Grizzly customer service, I would be more comfortable purchasing there.
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

Felder have a free standing and an accessory slot mortiser for their jointer/planer.

Excellent customer support and service, and an excellent product.......Rod.

7. Sorry - not happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    Sorry - not happening.
    OK...well...

I guess that about does it for this thread.

Everyone move along, now. There's nothing here to see.
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Sorry - not happening.
    Ha ha! Rejected!

For the record, I just bought a 10" Laguna jointer/planer combo machine. Most of my decision to buy it rather than the Grizzly 12" machine was because the Laguna has a slot mortiser option.

I think you should give it a second thought, Shiraz. American and Canadian woodworkers seem to be moving more in the direction of European woodworking machines (sliding table saws, combo jointer/planers). You guys have clearly responded to that trend by making sliders and combo jointer planers... I think the same trend could be expected with slot mortisers...

I'm sure you guys are very careful about what machines you choose to manufacture, so I assume there is some market data to back up your decision to stay away from slot mortisers... But I'm one measly data point- I would've bought your 12" machine if it had a slot mortiser attachment.

Just a comment - the Festool Domino is somewhat of a portable slot mortiser. You can't do everything you can with a slot mortiser but it doesn't take as much room as a slot mortiser and there's a few things you can do with it that you can't do with a slot mortiser. It's almost as expensive as a low end slot mortiser, however.

A slot mortiser is a great machine for making mortises.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have the Domino and I've owned and used slot morticers in the past and I can say that 99% of the mortices I do can be done by the domino. However, when it comes to doing a lot of the same mortice, nothing beats a slot morticer IMO.

That said, when I go to upgrade to a J/P combo, I will probably get the Laguna or one of the Euro ones because I can get the SM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aeschliman View Post
    Ha ha! Rejected!
    Someone with some picture editing skills should take a picture of a crazy cat and do a "Shiraz has ruled....FAIL" picture Icanhazcheesburger style.

I realize that 90% aren't going to get that, but those who do will know what I'm talking about.

It'd be a great thing to whip out in any grizzly thread like this.

Sorry - not happening.
    Anyone else find this refreshing. To get a true, honest answer instead of the BS company give us today like "We will pass this on to our marketing department for review" to only toss the idea in the trash.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

yes it is refreshing to skip the BS and get right to the bottom line

also sounds like Grizzly has already considered it

Have you looked at the Richline?

I haven't used one but it's on the shortlist (also the Laguna or a floor standing square chisel or a multi-router)

The compact size of the Richline is a real asset for a machine that won't be used every day.

-kg