Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is It Art

Is It Art

This is an age old question for us woodturners. When I do a show a few people offer a compliment about me being an artist or my work being art. I never argue with them, and I never call my work art. I think of it as me making something. When I did my first show I was put in my place by 2 gentlemen while I was setting up my booth. One was a deputy sheriff and one was a security guard. I think I was the first woodturner at this show, and they were watching me pretty closely. When I unpacked a hollowform and placed it on the table one of them asked me what it was used for. I asked them if they had ever heard of art before? The deputy said, "Sure have, he works at the service station across from the tobacco warehouse downtown." They put me in my place and taught me a valuable lesson.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Great lesson Glen! Thanks.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Glenn,
    As I grow up I more and more appreciate what people like you create...When people say things like that to me now...I smile and wonder what they find enjoyable in their lives. The definition of "art" is "the use of skill and imagination in the creation of aesthetic objects, environments, or experiences that can be shared with others." Why would you not believe what you do is art? Me thinks you are cutting yourself short by letting some people who can't (or don't want to because of some macho thing) appreciate your skill. You have the right to call yourself whatever you want...but an artist you are.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

The culmination of our life experiences is what we are....and how we think of things. Everyone has myriad life experiences unique from everyone else and we can't expect anyone to see things the same way as another. Someone may have met an artist early in life that was a complete idiot, and therefore associates art with morons. Conversely, art appreciation is instilled in others by people that may appreciate different forms of art. Some people see art in a chair...or a chair rail....while others seek the functionality of things.

I see art in nature. The unlocking of the beauty of the wood in a turned form is the essence of art to me....more so than a painting on canvas.

Turning is a collaboration with nature.

Turners are cool.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Glenn

There is a saying I picked up on some turning forum. 'If it would hold water its a craft if it won't hold water its art.' So the burly HF guys are the artist among us.

In reality its mind set as Glenn Clabo said. I really enjoy sharing my turnings with other artist of other mediums. A couple weeks ago the little gallery that shows my work had a reception during an ice storm so no one came except us 'artists'. We spent the evening discussing each other's work; a bazaaro painter, a glass blower and me. Between the personalities and the free wine it was a great evening. It may come done to dedication to the craft that converts one to an artist.

Lastly I think there is a marketing aspect to the craft or art question. Calling yourself an artist will increase the price point which can be reached.

Good Question.

Frank
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

6. Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Everyone has myriad life experiences unique from everyone else...
    Are you saying we are all unique - just like everybody else?

Art delights the eye of the beholder and pleases the soul of its creator. I'd rather the deeper experience.

Since it is so personal, no objective standards could possibly apply. Not so with craft. It has to be objectively suitable to some purpose. Somewhere in the neither fish nor fowl category is what we do.

Difference is 100-300% in price between a "craft" show and an "art" show on the same piece, so accept the designation as an artist, regardless.

Glenn
    It still amazes me how God gives one thing to one and another thing to another , imagine how increadably dull this world would be if it were not for those with the gift to bring out the beauty that so richly surronds us on a daily basis.When Solomon built the temple , God said he would give specificly the skill /s to do the metal work , the wood work, and the weaving. People like your two at the show ,, well , one can only hope that the dullnes in there life does not slow you down.As more of us " step out " in a world of falsness and sham and drudgery, let us never forget the joy and beauty we ( collectively ) have brought to someones life. And yes I would call us Artist, for we see that which is common as unique and that which is good for nothing as inspiration. Keep on turning !!!! Today is first day of the rest of your life .... Go man Go.
    John 3:16

Glenn, this makes my head hurt !! Keep in mind these are "my opinions" and I hope I don't offend anyone. Is woodturning art ? Yes and no. I think the way I see it is perhaps the way a lot of the non-turning public may see it. Anyway I'll try to explain. If I am looking at utilitarian pieces such as Pepper Mills, salad bowls and maybe even bottle stoppers I don't see them as art, I see it as "craft". Now when I see a Natural Edge Bowl, a Hollow Form, a Lidded Box or a Display bowl, I see it as art. Takes the same amount of talent/skill to do any of these pieces. So, I think a lot of us can be considered both craftsman and artist. Perhaps we do our craft partilly to support our art. And yes Glenn, I consider you to be an artist.
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Well, I was going to say something but then Keith's comments made more sense than what I was going to say so I'll just ditto Keith.

I've heard it said "That any craft in its highest form is art".... glass blowers , black smiths, turners , tool makers, pottters...

I agree with everything everybody has said so far......I'm just concerned that some are skilled artists/craftspersons......and I'm not!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Cothren
    Are you saying we are all unique - just like everybody else?
    Yer a funny guy Mark!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Keith sums it up pretty well. There's "craft" (utilitarian, functional) and then there's "art" (everything else). I see nothing wrong with considering myself both an artist and a craftsman at the same time. Very little of my work would be thought of as art by any purist, but that's OK. I don't consider throwing paint on a wall to see how it splatters as art either.

I'll never be a Tibbetts or Liestman but the world already has one of each of them. Turning gives me an opportunity to express what little creativity and talents my Maker gave me. That's enough for this old simple boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Addy
    I'll never be a Tibbetts or Liestman but the world already has one of each of them.
    Ya... but nobody else is going to be a Neal Addy! We all kinda contribute something unique to the world of art as turners!
    Isaiah 55:6-7