Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I keep my CMS or upgrade to an SCMS?

Cool Should I keep my CMS or upgrade to an SCMS?

Hello, Everyone.

I am a new member of the SMC and an intermediate woodworking hobbyist. Currently, I am completing work on a mobile tool chest and will soon begin work on a dolly for my twin stack compressor.

I have a tool purchasing dilemma and have posted this message to get your opinions and suggestions:

I own a cheap 10" Delta Compound Miter Saw (CMS). I am considering upgrading this saw and buying a used ("refurbished") Milwaukee 10" Sliding Compound Miter Saw (SCMS).

My Questions:

For a novice woodworker, is there a notable difference in functionality between the CMS and SCMS?

Should I spend the extra $$$ to buy a SCMS and "buy the best" (and hopefully cry once) saw for crosscuts and mitering?

Thank you for your response.

Traditionally, scms's are used in construction (I.E. cutting 2x10's for decks, rafters etc.), where cms are used more for "FINE" woodworking (Crown moldings, furniture-construction, etc). If you look here, you will see there are both exceptions to the rule, and ones that are recommended.
    Your gonna have to figure out what you want to do, and if you can justify it (price verses use). I started out with a hand miter box, then finally bought a cheapy (GMC) with a gift certificate on closeout (had a bunch of raillings), and am looking to upgrade now. I am just waiting till I hit my price point (for the models I am looking at).

IMO it really depends on what other tools you have. If you have a decent TS, I'd skip the scms, build a nice miter/crosscut sled, and decide what else is needed.

Welcome to the Creek!

The main thing that the SCMS would give you is length of cut compared to your 10" CMS. I was facing the same problem and wound up buying a 12" CMS.

You can do a lot with a 10" CMS, however, so unless you really need the extra cut capacity, stay with what you have. The table saw can be used for cuts that are too big for your 10" CMS. It's just not as quick and convenient.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Ed.....I own a 10 SCMS.......If you have a t/s and a good accurate CMS a SCMS doesn't gain much.....IMHO most SCMS are not as accurate as a good CMS....just more to have problems with..
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ed, like you, I started 10 years ago with a cheap-0 Black & Decker CMS. I still have it and use it every day. As others have suggested, build a good cross-cut sled for your TS and you will never miss the SCMS.

However, I also suggest you use the money you would otherwise spend on an upgraded machine on the Forrest Chopmaster blade. That blade--plus a dead-on tune-up--will give you incredible cuts.

I've got a Bosch 5412L SCMS (granted, I chose it because it was on sale). Tweaked it a bit when I got it out of the box. It is dead on for the full length of cut. It makes sense that a CMS would have fewer problems, but I haven't noticed any after using it for a year. Agree with Bert about the Chopmaster. Glass smooth cuts.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

The decision is a tough one. The Milwaukee is probably the best 10" SCms available.

I prefer a CMS mainly because I can get (not out of the box) much better dust collection than with a SCMS. The extra space required is only an issue if you have a small shop like 95% of us do.

Blog Entries
    I have a 12" SCMS and it was the perfect tool for building a deck, but is overkill for general everyday use and woodworking. Also, because of the sliding action, dust collection is an issue. I often snag the hose on something when sliding the saw back and forth, which causes the sawdust to fly everywhere behind it.

In addition, the depth of the SCMS really makes it difficult to stage. I keep it as close to the wall as possible, but am forced to keep it out about 20" from the wall in order to utilitze it's full sliding, dual bevel and mitering ability. I also keep it on the matching dewalt stand, which takes up a good amount of room also, but is extremely handy when handling longer boards.

Unless you plan on doing some major home rennovation in the future, I'd stick with the 10" CMS.

I am trying to sell my 12" scms in order to replace it with a DeWalt dw716. I find that I get too much flex and it just isn't as accurate as non-slider.

I'd recommend a Bosch 12 inch slider...best saw on the market...hands down. If you go with a 10 inch, I'd recommend considering Makita as well.

Here is the problem that I have found with CMSs. If you cut a 2X6 the blade is buried in the entire 6" of material at one time. If you use a slider, only about 2" of blade is ever in the wood.
    This may not be a problem with moldings , trim and pine, but with hardwood it is. You are asking a
    lot from your saw and blade to cut that much hardwood at one time. I would never buy another CMS again. I own 1 CMS and 3 SCMS.

Richard
    Last edited by Richard Wolf; 02-03-2007 at 6:56 PM.

I am keeping my CMS...for now

For the moment, I have decided to forgo the purchase of a SCMS.

Last weekend, I made my pilgrimage to the Woodworking Show here in Atlanta. While there, I discovered an excellent (package) deal on a brand new Bosch 4000-09 Worksite Saw with Gravity Rise Stand and Outfeed Supports (Left Side and Rear) ($500).

Given that I had been saving for a better quality portable table saw for over a year and have read glowing reviews of this saw, (my savings account and) I decided to take the plunge and buy this saw.

I will take the suggestion and make the building of a crosscut sled one of my first jigs for this saw. I will also look into the purchase of a Forrest Chopmaster blade for my CMS.

In my short time as a member of Sawmill Creek, I have found this site to be both an excellent source of information and tool for learning more about woodworking.

Many thanks to all of you who took the time to post your responses.