Thread: sources for tool steel

sources for tool steel

I am wondering where you all get your tool steel for making your own tools. Id like to start doing this by making some scrapers and an ultra thin (1/16") parting tool. Ive seen M2 HSS parts in McMaster Carr, but was wondering if there was a better source.

Thanks,

Jason
    Jason Morgan

2. Some of the guys here put me onto Enco... http://www.use-enco.com/

Jason,

A lot of the M2 HSS sold may not be pre-hardened; they need to be heat treated. Heat heating M2 may be beyond the capability of DIY.
    Usually tool bits are hardened.

Gordon

I Second Enco. They even call if they need to split the order from different warehouses before shipping.
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

www.mscdirect.com Their catalog is about 4" thick to Enco's 1" thick. They have a lot of stuff, and I find that it's usually in stock.
    ULS 135 watt w/rotary, Mazak QT-6T CNC lathe, Dapra machining center, Sherline CNC, Tormach CNC, Acad, Rofin welding laser, YAG laser w/ rotary, 4500 watt Fiber laser
    Boone Titanium Rings

A2 can be a nice alternative for tools that are easy to sharpen and thus less likely to burn while sharpening. A2 is air hardening and doesn't require a special atmosphere (nitrogen)like M2.

Also since it really only requires a reasonable heat treat oven you may be able to get a local machine shop to heat treat a batch of tools.

Bob

Thanks for the info

Im intrigued by the heat treatment. Im actually a chemist and have access to high temperature and moderate temperature ovens and furnaces. What all is involved in the heat treatment? What temp, how long, what quenching if any? just interested, I doubt Ill actually do it.

Thanks again, Ill check all the sources listed. If you were going to make a thin parting tool how would you do it? I was just going to get some 1/16" thick by 1 1/2" wide, by 12-15" long sheet stock and grind a profile on the wide face like this (probably steeper than shown but you get the idea), then attach a handle (turned of course)

________
    .............\
    ...............\
    .................\
    __________/
    Jason Morgan

Jason,

Just to give you options, I use www.wttool.com because their local to me and I can just go talk to a salesperson directly. They do mail order too though and have good prices in my opinion.

I've heard a lot of good things about Enco too.

For a thin parting tool, I use a piece of wide bandsaw blade that has been cut. It has a carbide tip so it's tough and works like a champ. I'll see if I can find an extra piece from the guy I got mine from. If I can I'll PM you for your address.
    Last edited by Raymond Overman; 02-02-2007 at 11:55 AM.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

Data sheet for Crucible Steel's brand of A2 steel
    2nd page has the heat treat schedule, A2 is nice as the quench medium is air. Often it is heat treated in sealed foil pouches so it doesn't scale up so bad. But if you can't find them, you can likely make them and should work somewhat. Othewise you need to sand the scale off.

http://www.crucibleservice.com/datash/dsA2v12.pdf

To do a thin parting tool I think you might be better off ordering a peice of M2 already heat treated and grind it. If the heat treat isn't done correctly the steel can warp, more so with thinner items.

Bob