Thread: Finishing - recent lessons learned

Finishing - recent lessons learned

I haven't done a lot of finishing, so I'm learning new things with every project. I just finished building and finishing a small table with wiped-on BLO, padded shellac, and buffed-out paste wax and thought I would mention a few things I learned.

Do finish end grain first - the end grain soaks up finish like a sponge. Any drips or runs from the other faces will create a noticable contrast with the rest of the end grain face if it's bare.

Don't sand shellac until it's cured - wait at least eight hours before sanding. I didn't, and it created a lot of white powder that settled into the grain and looked bad. A couple heavy coats of shellac was enough to dissolve the particles and they eventually disappeared, but it was difficult to apply that way with the pad.

Do thin shellac for padding - I followed the instructions to thin the shellac to a 2 lb. cut and it went on really nicely. Previously I'd tried it without thinning and it tended to get gummy.

Overall, it turned out nicely. The results would certainly be better next time, but I was generally pleased with how the project turned out.

I also thought I'd share this photo I took of some Brazillian Cherry with and without BLO applied. The difference was surprising to me, enough so that I wanted to take a picture. The top is before, the bottom after. It dramaticized the grain and created a really rich color.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Hooks

Don't sand shellac until it's cured - wait at least eight hours before sanding. I didn't, and it created a lot of white powder that settled into the grain and looked bad. A couple heavy coats of shellac was enough to dissolve the particles and they eventually disappeared, but it was difficult to apply that way with the pad.

Do thin shellac for padding - I followed the instructions to thin the shellac to a 2 lb. cut and it went on really nicely. Previously I'd tried it without thinning and it tended to get gummy.

Overall, it turned out nicely. The results would certainly be better next time, but I was generally pleased with how the project turned out.

I also thought I'd share this photo I took of some Brazillian Cherry with and without BLO applied. The difference was surprising to me, enough so that I wanted to take a picture. The top is before, the bottom after. It dramaticized the grain and created a really rich color.
    I'm still struggling with padding shellac. I am getting a very flat and shiny surface, but there are very fine lines almost like brush marks in the surface. I was trying to french polish, but I can't seem work an area with finish on it for more than 4 strokes or so before it gums up. Did you get any fine lines in the finish? Did you sand or rub out at the end?

If I had my druthers, I'd farm out the finishing to someone else. The skills of woodworking and finishing don't have much overlap. I'm a barely competent woodworker but I enjoy it a great deal. Finishing is a chore and a chance to screw up work that I am proud of.

Anybody else feel that way?
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Quote Originally Posted by John Schreiber
    If I had my druthers, I'd farm out the finishing to someone else. The skills of woodworking and finishing don't have much overlap. I'm a barely competent woodworker but I enjoy it a great deal. Finishing is a chore and a chance to screw up work that I am proud of.

Anybody else feel that way?

Just the opposite.. though I turn mostly now... for flatwork I really don't get all that excited at building, setting up machines, cuts, etc.. but I like the finishing end. I would never build another piece if I could find good unfinished stuff to just finish... what can I say, I am weird I guess.

It ain't done 'til it's FINISHED!
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cody
    I like the finishing end. I would never build another piece if I could find good unfinished stuff to just finish. . .
    Michael, I wonder what shipping from my place to your place and back would be?
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate