Thread: Help Please

Angry Help Please

I bought a Crown 1/4" captive ring tool and have proceded to explode 4 ring attempts. Can anybody explain how to use the d@*# thing? I get to the last 1/8" (or less) on the underside and then I'll catch and - boom.

Thanks in advance
    Rick

Sounds like you might be tipping the chisel up or down and binding the ring in the curve. Be sure you don't ride up the tool rest as you get near the end of the cut.
    What you do today determines what you can do tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Burson
    I bought a Crown 1/4" captive ring tool and have proceded to explode 4 ring attempts. Can anybody explain how to use the d@*# thing? I get to the last 1/8" (or less) on the underside and then I'll catch and - boom.

Thanks in advance
    Rick
    Using this tool is easier for me with the tool rest slightly below center on the stock. While I was blowing rings up, (something I can still do by the way) I tried various tool rest positions and it seemed best below center, the chisel straight in to the piece.
    something else I discovered is that the pine and poplar I was practicing on were the hardest to cut a captive ring from. When I went to walnut and mahogany it got easier. I'm not sure how much of that was more experience with the tool and how much the texture of the wood.

Good Luck!
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"