Thread: new turning pics

new turning pics

Hi folks,

Finally got some time in the shop today, havent turned for well over two months with the exception of a couple of pens.

Practiced my hollowing skills again on another maple potpourri bowl for #2 daughter.

This time tried a different shape and didnt rim the lid with cherry but it came out ok. Just have some Watco on it, will buff it up in a week.

The pewter lid is about 3" so you can get a size reference

Thanks for lookin'

Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

I admire this work...that particular shape is not easy to hollow under the top! You are a patient man...

Nice job!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice

Nice looking job Bill. Just like Jim says, the top is impressive. I probably would have blown it up with my luck at hollowing things out.

Left you a PM the other day. Were you in Milford today or was that your twin?

Good job Bill, did you do this with dry cherry? Looks great!
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    I admire this work...that particular shape is not easy to hollow under the top! You are a patient man...

Nice job!
    Thanks Jim,
    I think it took me a little over 3 hours to go from cutting the blank to applying the Watco. I did most of the hollowing with my Sorby Multi-tip tool....I need something better than that as it's tough on the hands.
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Marks
    Nice looking job Bill. Just like Jim says, the top is impressive. I probably would have blown it up with my luck at hollowing things out.

Left you a PM the other day. Were you in Milford today or was that your twin?
    Ed, got the PM...I forgot all about that guild meeting at Bill Thomas's place...I wanted to attend. His shop is about a mile from me.

No, I wasnt in Milford today...you mean there's two of us handsome devils out there (or is that handy as Red Green would say)
    Bill Esposito

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Hodges
    Good job Bill, did you do this with dry cherry? Looks great!
    Thanks Glenn,

No, this is actually maple...air dried about a year so it's still pretty green. I use cherry on some of the others as a cap into which the lid is inserted. Here's a url to these pics and the first one I made with the cherry lid. Potpourri bowls
    Bill Esposito