Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: So, Jim is it out of the box?

I know who I will be visiting the next time I go to Philly

Nice acquisition Jim.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

She's a real beauty Jim. Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Yes, it's out of the box. I have a LOT of photos to pick through, massage and then post, so please bear with me. Right now, I want to get out to the shop and do some final things so I can start using the beautiful beast. It really is sweet. In the mean time, here are a couple teaser pictures...
    Looks great, Jim! It looks like they've made a lot of improvements since my SC4-WS (which had the same chassis and slider as the S315). Frame looks different and beefier, slider looks beefier, nicer controls. I'm going to IWF this year, so I'll swing by and check the beast out. Looks absolutely at home in that shop. It looks like you custom-built and painted your router table to match that MM.

Regarding justifying my sliding table saw, I just point in the driveway. I bought my SUV for $20K. I would say that the average price of the cars and trucks driven by my friends is about $30K (some a lot more expensive, especially the SUVs). There ya go, $30K - $20K = sliding table saw.

Todd

Beautiful saw Jim. You know it gets my approval and why. Looking forward to exchanging ideas with you...

I don't post alot, I guess because I don't know alot. However I'm here most every day. (By the way, I don't talk much either.) Some of the comments about how Jim spends his money are just unbelieveable to me. If he spent 20K for a Harley or 30K for a boat, many think that would be acceptable. What he has purchased is a tool that will help produce a product and bring joy to not only himself but to others. I don't know Jim personally but from where I stand he seems always ready to share his knowledge. I don't need to know anything about his finances or how much he spends in his shop. I'm hope your comments have not robbed him of any of the joy of an addition to his shop. And what an addition!
    Looking forward to the pics.

Jim,
    Polzuisya nazdorovye! Ask your daughters to translate.

Blog Entries
    Nice saw Jim. I was just looking at Mini Max at the Atlanta wood working show. All I want is a MM16 Band Saw and a FS30 Jointer Planer. Then I can turn some of my trees into boards. One day!

Congratulations, enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Berkovsky
    Jim,
    Polzuisya nazdorovye! Ask your daughters to translate.
    They can't...after over a year of not speaking Russian, other than just for the first few months...they no longer speak or understand more than a few words. But I thank you for your kind good wishes!

OK, folks...I have 61 pictures prepared and am working on the text. With any luck, I'll have a thread up tonight with all the gory details...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    They can't...after over a year of not speaking Russian, other than just for the first few months...they no longer speak or understand more than a few words. But I thank you for your kind good wishes!
    I see - then I will translate... Use it in good health.

Quote Originally Posted by Karle Woodward
    I guess no one else is gonna ask (maybe you all know), so I will. What does it do? Obviously it cuts wood, but how is better than my $500 Jet? What it the advantage? Just curious as I've never seen one before. It does look impressive.
    Well I don't speak from experience, but I can tell you I'd bet my paycheck that it will do a lot of things better than your (and my) saws. After just spending a lot of time (AGAIN) aligning the trunnions on my Powermatic 64A only to have it go out of adjustment as soon as I cranked it over to a full 45 degree bevel, the MM and others of that caliber will be virtually dead on at all adjustments, and will stay there I imagine.

On top of that, Jim mentioned he is doing a kitchen cabinet remodel. If his is a slider (which I believe it is) he will whip through sheet goods while you and I are struggling to avoid eating a full size sheet of ply or at the least, getting a clean cut.

I say, if you've got the money and can actually do the saw justice with your skill, spend the money. I would if I could.

JH

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Berkovsky
    I see - then I will translate... Use it in good health.
    Alex, the girls can't do the Russian thing any more, but I translated it on sight. Strangely enough, some of the language I learned "stuck". Not enough to converse, but more than I expected.
    ----

Jake, the kitchen was back in 2003--documented on my web site. This is an 1850 sq ft, two story addition with a master suite including a large master bath, laundry room and study (my new office) upstairs and a guest bedroom, guest bath, large multi-purpose room, foyer and new front entry on the first floor. Lots of opportunity to put the whole shop to work. You can see some renderings at the addition BLOG I started awhile back (but have been remiss posting to) in the plans link on the left-side menu. http://toscax.us/blog/addition.htm
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Guy
    I don't post alot, I guess because I don't know alot. However I'm here most every day. (By the way, I don't talk much either.) Some of the comments about how Jim spends his money are just unbelieveable to me. If he spent 20K for a Harley or 30K for a boat, many think that would be acceptable. What he has purchased is a tool that will help produce a product and bring joy to not only himself but to others. I don't know Jim personally but from where I stand he seems always ready to share his knowledge. I don't need to know anything about his finances or how much he spends in his shop. I'm hope your comments have not robbed him of any of the joy of an addition to his shop. And what an addition!
    Looking forward to the pics.

That's right. Enough said.

Enjoy

Jim,
    You don't have to justify it to anybody. What a great tool . My motto . Life is short. Do what makes you happy.

Dave

j,

Super nice!!! Congrats!!!

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

--