Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: captured hollowing tools I know this is asked over and over

captured hollowing tools I know this is asked over and over

But, I am getting ready to drop a bunch of cash on a set up in a week. I am getting paid for another Peppermill/saltmill/ and matching vase combo I just sold.

I am planning on getting the monster as it looks like you get more tools for the buck even though it cost more. Plus He said he would sell it to me for I think if my memory sevres me right $345 with out the rear tool rest which I could make.

Or should I get the jamison which most people seem to like. which is around $280 without the rear rest.

I know this is a preference qusetion but without anyone near me to show me or to be able to put my hands on them it is a leap. so just asking for alittle opinoins here please.

Bob

I bought the Monster captive hollowing tool with laser and EXTREMELY satisfied with the quality. I know it will serve me well. Only sad part is that it has been so hectic (plus it is cold here..I know it is nothing compared to other places but it still is for me) that I haven't really tried the entire setup yet.

I also purchased a scorpion pistol handle (here actually) which is a perfect match so I can use it manually if I want (w/o the captive system). This part I've tried and it works great!
    Dario

Dario or Bob who sells the monster rig???
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl
    Dario or Bob who sells the monster rig???
    Randy Privett at http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/wst_page4.php

I bought the system on this page...about 3/4 down the page http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/wst_page5.php
    Dario

Hey Bob. I just pick up the Spin Doctors set up. I like the fact that it can be hooked up to an air compressor so it can keep the cutting tip clear of chips. Just another option for you.
    http://www.theokspindoctor.com/
    And a review.
    http://www.rusticturnings.com/clarkrig.htm
    Last edited by Kurt Rosenzweig; 02-03-2007 at 6:13 PM.

Bob, you should have looked a little closer at my Monster rig when you were here. I love it, and I don't think you will go wrong with one.

Bill

Thanks Dario.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Kurt,
    I'm waiting on my Clark system and it appears it will be shipped sometime this week. Do you have yours setup? Brian

Thanks All,
    And Bill I should of asked more questions. After our visit I started looking serious at them all and am extremely confused what they come with and what I really need cutting tips and all to make it work right. The Jamieson looks like it comes with less cutting profiles and I have been heavily leaning towards the monster as this was also Bill's recomendation. I just wanted to make sure It was the right move before I jump.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Dario Octaviano
    (plus it is cold here..I know it is nothing compared to other places but it still is for me)
    Dario,
    I don't want to here this cold crap from a Texan! I am getting ready to go out and finish a platter in my unheated garage. BTW the temp is 5 deg F right now!

Bob

Just another option: http://www.elbotool.com/ A complete system costs less than $300. On another forum, a turner who has several captured hollowing tool systems said that this one was his favorite to use. The downside is that it takes up more room on your lathe bed, limiting the possible depth of a hollow form.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hallowell
    Dario,
    I don't want to here this cold crap from a Texan! I am getting ready to go out and finish a platter in my unheated garage. BTW the temp is 5 deg F right now!

Bob
    LOL...I will be a popsicle long before that temp reaches Texas. I bet if that happens here you won't be able to yank me out of bed.

Makes me sick seing people wearing short and t-shirts where temps are 50 and below. I wonder how they do that???

Don't worry payback is coming soon...summer is just a few months and I'll be turning in my garage at around 100+ degrees
    Dario

Dario,
    I always have shorts and a t-shirt on at 50deg. I been in San Antonio twice It's very nice there. Once for Air force basic training in july so I know the heat your are talking about and once a couple years ago for some Harris Microwave training. That time I got to enjoy the city!

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl
    Thanks Dario.
    Welcome Bernie.

BTW, The posted pics are a bit dated...the system I got is an improved version.
    Dario

I'm really happy with my monster rig. The quality is better than most I've seen. They even made me a laser adapter for my McNaughton coring tool.
    __________________________________________________ ______________
    I wasn't born in the mountains, but I got here as fast as I could!