Thread: rehab or start over

rehab or start over

Just looking for some thoughts, on a table saw upgrade or replacement. I have a 10+ year old Craftsman contractor saw. It was the top of the line at the time. 3 Hp max cast iron table and wings. Over the years, I replaced the pulleys and drive belt, nice Woodworker blade, and put a newer Sears fence on it. Still not happy with the fence set-up. Should I buy the Biesiemer (sp) fence for this saw, or just start over? I mostly dabble, this is a hobby, not my living.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Cut your losses! As a number of the threads have stated, "You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear." There's a lot of really nice tools out there. A new toy always stimulates the creative juices.

TJH

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Peterson
    Just looking for some thoughts, on a table saw upgrade or replacement. I have a 10+ year old Craftsman contractor saw. It was the top of the line at the time. 3 Hp max cast iron table and wings. Over the years, I replaced the pulleys and drive belt, nice Woodworker blade, and put a newer Sears fence on it. Still not happy with the fence set-up. Should I buy the Biesiemer (sp) fence for this saw, or just start over? I mostly dabble, this is a hobby, not my living.
    I just replaced the old Craftsman saw I had with a new Delta contractor Limited Edition with the Biesemeyer fence and the difference is like night and day!

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Tom,

Yours is a familiar story. Like many, I started out on a Craftsman contractor TS. Not happy with the performance, I added a link belt, and then, machined pulleys, and then, a Shop Fox fence. I added a couple of other enhancements that I can’t even remember now. When it was all said & done, I still wasn’t as happy as I thought I should be.

Four years ago, I bought a Unisaw with the 50” Biesemeyer Fence - I smile every time I fire it up.

HECK IS WHERE PEOPLE GO WHO DON'T BELIEVE IN GOSH
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I was kinda thinking that the saw was turning into a money pit. A couple of friends are interested in the saw even after my complaints. To them it is much better than what they have, at least I can get something out of it.

thanks for the input.