Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Selling all the junk in my shop....

Selling all the junk in my shop....

If I can't build a simple kitchen cabinet to save my life, I can't build fine furniture. It's all going to be sold.

2 more pieces of oak ply down the xxxxx cause I suck!
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-04-2007 at 9:17 PM. Reason: removed illusion to profanity...not allowed by TOS
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

Wow Jim - your first post and so negative!
    My advice:Hang in there -
    You probably don't remember learning how to walk bub I'll bet you stumbled a lot then, too. Stay with this bunch of folks, asks lots of questions and take small steps.

If you can find a local wood workers guild or wood craft store that holds classes, sign up an get close to a few who have found their way.

Jim,

Take a few deep breaths and give me a pm....maybe I can help you. I'm in the area.

I hate to see someone throw in the towel
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

i agree with Mr. Wilson
    don't give up.
    The only time you mustn't fail is the last time you try. Charles Kettering

Hang in there Jim!!

Show us what's happening....the SMC collective will pull you through!

I agree with Mr. Wall - let us help.

It's just me venting Kyle. I won't sell my junk.......got too much money into it, and a future house that needs a total overhaul. I owe my kid a desk and a bed, then I will owe my other kid something as well to make things even.

I haven't even got to the nice pieces yet, and I can't build a cabinet without messing something up. Those simple stupid mistakes just get me to no end.

whaddya think? you think wood grows on trees?

uh,

Remember, its okay to mess up, waste material, etc. Just keep at it, and accept help as offered. You will most certainly get where you want to be. Wish I had a nickel for every wrong cut, misplaced hole or board too short I've made.

Ken

Blog Entries
    Jim, you should see what a trainwreck I am with a camera. I still take pictures. Sometimes I'm pleased with the result and more often I'm not but I do enjoy it. Peolple approach hobbies differently. I enjoy working in the shop but I'm only good for 2 or 3 'real' pieces a year.

Take a deep breath and think about PM-ing Kyle. I've found folks on this forum more than willing to talk me through stuff even when I'm totally lost. Hang in there!
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-04-2007 at 5:53 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Maybe those 2 pieces of ply are what you needed to make the finest jigs and fixtures the woodworking world has ever been honored to lay eyes on. Now don't deprive us of the fine work you will no doubt be producing with them. Hang in there, sounds like you got some help and maybe some new friends right in your back yard.... Heck, your a lucky guy tonight....
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Newbie here also, wanna come over and see my scrap pile??
    Start small Jim, and think each cut though, mistakes usually happen when the mind wanders, or you leave a project for a day or two and come back.
    Take any of the adult ed classes you can find or if a Rrockler, Woodcraft, whatever is in your neighborhood, see what classes they have.
    Next week I start a cabinet making class at Woodcraft, its $200 for 4 sessions, but when furniture grade plywood is about $100 a sheet, don't take to many to make that class worth it....finding that out the hard way..
    Sounds like you have someone in the area that will help ya, don't be afraid to ask for help, I've been driving this forum crazy with my questions and they've been nothing but helpful...well other than the death threats...

Al.....who's kidding about the death threats btw...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Shoemaker
    Maybe those 2 pieces of ply are what you needed to make the finest jigs and fixtures the woodworking world has ever been honored to lay eyes on. Now don't deprive us of the fine work you will no doubt be producing with them. Hang in there, sounds like you got some help and maybe some new friends right in your back yard.... Heck, your a lucky guy tonight....
    Well I just commented the other day that I was out of storage space for the latest round of Bessey's I ordered. I did use scrap plywood for the last rack I built.

Hey Jim, hang in there. We've all been there. Like anything else, woodworking takes a lot of practice. Unfortunately many of us expect perfection on every project we attempt. Glad you found a good project for your new "scraps."

Like Al, I'm signed up for one of the WoodCraft classes and my scrap pile is growing, but I'm having a blast!!!
    Last edited by Don Bullock; 02-05-2007 at 9:16 AM.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Think about it --

Doctors have cemeteries; woodworkers have woodstoves. Same difference.
    Al Clem
    Sedona, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fox
    It's just me venting Kyle. I won't sell my junk.......got too much money into it, and a future house that needs a total overhaul. I owe my kid a desk and a bed, then I will owe my other kid something as well to make things even.

I haven't even got to the nice pieces yet, and I can't build a cabinet without messing something up. Those simple stupid mistakes just get me to no end.
    Slow down Bro'. Ya' gotta breathe.

One trick I've learned to minimize mistakes is to use a pencil for everything. Do a very detailed drawing before you even start any cutting.

Completly mark all layout lines and cuts. Mark the waste side and the save side.

Using the pencil slows you down and forces you to visualize more of the project, or cut before a machine is turned on.