Thread: Dust Safety Mask

Dust Safety Mask

I've become a part time turner (prolly more if I wasn't in the middle of some flat work projects at the moment) and I would like to decrease my exposure to dust.

Right now I am using a basic face shield that I got for free from a friend. This one doesn't even have the plastic guard on the top that goes between the face shield and the brow of your fore-head!

I would like to get something that may "seal" the face off better. I've seen many talks about the Trend, but at $300 I can't justify the cost. Is their anything in between that someone can recommend?

Thanks

I bought mine direct from the factory at $235. IMHO I wouldn't even think of using anything else now. Just my 2 cents.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Here's the Uvex face shield I use. http://www.websoft-solutions.net/Fac...ace-shield.htm

Fits all around pretty nicely, easy to adjust. I like it and it's a little over $30. Replacement sheilds are like $7 a piece, but I haven't replaced mine yet and it's been over a year.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I just got a Trend for $235 as well. It seems like a good unit but there have been some "lively debates" (read: Holy Wars) over whether it is up to US standards. I like it because it is lighter and less bulky than the Triton.

The Triton is an alternative you should look into. Amazon carries them for around $190. Another popular respirator is the 3M 6000 series half-face mask. They are also listed on Amazon (~$30). Note that the 3M does not act as a faceshield, however. But I got the impression from your post that you are more interested in dust protection.

For turning work (probably even more so than flatwork) you really want to collect the dust at its source first. Hook a lathe dust hood up to your DC (I assume you have a DC?) to capture as much as possible before it reaches you.

If you don't have a DC then that is your first place to start in your war against dust. Next would be a good respirator mask, last would be an air filtration system.
    Last edited by Neal Addy; 02-05-2007 at 10:27 AM.

have both

With two shops and-until recently-credit cards and no conscience, I wound up buying the triton and two airshields to go along with an older (its now owned by 3M) powervisor. The triton does a slightly better job of keeping dust out of my nose and has a headshield which keeps it off my hair (what little there is of it), but it is clumsy to use and the temptation exists to not put it on for quick tasks. The airshield works fine-see several posts-including two of mine which tell you how to buy cheaper and better battery packs for it, but you might want to try and wear a hat to keep the dust and chips from your hair. If you tend to work without interruption, the triton (cheaper on sale) will be fine. If you want to put it on and take it off repeatedly, the airshield will be easier to use. Good luck, Hilel.

By the way Chris when I had problems with my lungs plus sinus infections due to wood dust and my doctor told me I only had one set to work with I went and bought the Trend. I have a DC to each of my machines with blast gates and I also have a air cleaner hanging from the ceiling. Overkill I don't know but I will tell you it has cut down on dust flying and laying around the shop by a bunch. Haven't had a sinus infection since I got the trend about 8 months ago.
    Last edited by Bernie Weishapl; 02-05-2007 at 12:33 PM.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Chris
    Welcome to the Creek. I'm just down in Mendota we'll have to get together to turn sometime.

My January project was/is a homemade captured hollowing rig. Missing one part but that will be doen this week. (yes pictures are coming)

But I promised my wife a dust collector for Valentines Day. (Romanic ain't I) I turn alot and without any form of dust control, except a little fan to blow it away from my head. She suffered from what we thought was a terrible sinus infection starting in late October which by New Years Eve had her not even getting out of bed. Finally a trip to the doctor who accused her of being alergic to something and after a long interveiw process he blamed my turning and put her on allergy medicine which immediately cleared up the problem. When she was sick I had more time to turn and therefore she got sicker. So this month's project is Dust Control. I suspect there will be health benfits for me to and I will carry less dust into the house which may further inprove my status in our home.

There are alot of more exciting tools to buy for turning but the potential benefits to you and your family are probably the highest with dust control.

Enjoy,

Frank
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

Chris,

I'm not going to jump on the ban-wagon about wood dust....but simply ask you to use full face protection and some type of filter for your breathing. I used to have a lot of sinus problems....until I get the Trend Airshield. I haven't had a sinus problem since I started using it while turning. Full face protection should be "required". If you've ever been turning and got smacked in the "faceshield" by a piece that flew off the piece being turned? You'd always want face protection. DAMHIKT!!!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Frank, Yeah Mendota is right down a ways. I'd love to stop by and pick up some tips! The only thing I am good at on the lathe right now is Catches!

I have a Jet air filter, but it is for the whole shop and not really dedicated to the lathe area. In fact the exhaust path is right by the lathe, so at least I have a chance of the fan blowing the dust away...

I also have a JET DC1200 with 6" flex (still working on a duct system as my new shop is only 2 months in the making). I did clamp the 6" flex underneith the ways once when I actually got far enough on a bowl to sand the outside (that is before I got one of my signiture catches inside and tore it off the chuck) and that worked REALLY well.

I guess a good question is, how many of you bother running your DC the WHOLE time turning and not just sanding?

Dennis,
    I do have a plain old face mask, which I do use and did get a nice bounce off of it the other week when the rim off a bowl cracked on me.

I think I have a good painter's mask around somewhere, maybe I'll combo that up with the face mask to see what type of improvement I get.

The sinuses don't bother so much me as the dust in my eye's does.

I don't run a DC at all when turning. I guess I could, but running a 5HP cyclone for the lathe would be like trying to catch bee's in a tornado with a shop vac.....IMHO that is.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Welcome Chris,
    Not able to afford a Trend/Triton setup, I use a basic face sheild and added a half mask respirator that has replaceable filters,,,works pretty good judging by the look of the filters and also the lack of sinus problems
    since i started using it. It's good protections for about $60 total for both
    combined.
    This is what I've been using...might be an option for ya.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3705