Thread: New cyclone separator pictures.

New cyclone separator pictures.

A while back I posted this thread about a new cyclone separator that I had purchased.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=49060

I now have it up and running, and I am really impressed by it's performance! I have increased airflow, due in part by the increase from a 4" to a 6" hose from the outlet of the cyclone to the inlet of the turbine. I also have almost no material going through the cyclone and into the bag of the DC. I did have to brace the garbage can so it wouldn't lift off the floor (outlet hose from cyclone contracts) when the DC is running . I also have to check the level in the garbage can frequently so it doesn't overfill. I caulked all the joints in the cyclone and the garbage can lid to make a nice tight seal.

I'm very happy with the setup!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." -Henry David Thoreau

Given the dimensions of the cone, I suggest you have a very good filter on the output, you might be surprised how much of the small (and hazardous) dust is taken through.

Looks good Tom, thanks for the report. Hard to beat that price, and with that pleated filter on the Jet DC, I'd say you're covered for the fine dust!

Takes up a fair bit of space though? If you could mount that motor higher, you'd have a shorter run of hose from the top of the cyclone. WOnder if that'd improve suction.

Is the inlet hose 6" also?
    "It's Not About You."

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Clarke
    Given the dimensions of the cone, I suggest you have a very good filter on the output, you might be surprised how much of the small (and hazardous) dust is taken through.
    Can you expand on this a little bit? Is there an optimum cone size that works best for WW fines? Is it a ratio or length to diameter or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien
    Can you expand on this a little bit? Is there an optimum cone size that works best for WW fines? Is it a ratio or length to diameter or something?
    I understand there is. I found the information from Bill Pentz's site, so if I'm wrong it's my fault, if I'm right the credit is all Bill's.

The ideal for fine dust is 3:1, so it's quite a tall cone, it's possible to create the right conditions with a ratio of 1.64:1. So for instance, a 18" dia cone would have a height of 29.52".

Thumbs up

Hey, that tin man's looking good Tom! Nice work!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....