Thread: PC 4212 Dovetail Jig Video

PC 4212 Dovetail Jig Video

Has anyone ever seen a video devoted to using the PC 4212?? I seem to be having a tough time getting it right. Being a very visual person, I think a video would solve the problem. I've heard of it, just can't find it. I've seen the ones on the PC website. Just looking for something better... TIA Ken
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Sorry Ken, I can't help you on that, but I do hope you find it. I am looking to buy that exact dovetail jig in the near future and videos work best for me also. Good luck and I am sure someone will relay where they got it from.

Dave
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Shoemaker
    Has anyone ever seen a video devoted to using the PC 4212?? I seem to be having a tough time getting it right. Being a very visual person, I think a video would solve the problem. I've heard of it, just can't find it. I've seen the ones on the PC website. Just looking for something better... TIA Ken
    I have seen videos online at the PC website of the 4212. Have you seen them? I have a video on my 7216 omnijig. Would that help?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I used my 4212 for the first time a few weeks ago making some drawers. I would highly recommend doing a lot of practice with the same size pieces you will be using for your project. If you're doing just regular plane old drawers with all the same height sides and front/back, it's a piece of cake once you get the jig set up and the bit depth right. Getting the depth right to make tight joints can be a PITA though.

http://www.portercable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=5839

There is a link for an advanced joint video towards the bottom. I dont know if you were looking for the advanced video or just basic operation. On basic operation I may be able to help you b/c i have the same jig.

Drew

Ken,
    What exactly are you having problems with? I found the manual to be a great help. The only videos on Porter Cable site are dedicated for advanced operations. I am a newbie to WW and this jig and found it to be easy to use.

I agree with Alex above. I have the jig and found the manual pretty clear.
    I do recommend getting an extra dedicated router or 2. One for the pins bitand one for the tails bit.

Thanks to you all... I am going to take a minute and sit down with the maunal again. I've seen many of you that said it was "easy" to use. I must be doing somehing wrong. It seems I can't get the bit highth right. To tight, to loose... Lotsa sawdust but no joy!!!!

...It seems I can't get the bit height right. To tight, to loose...
    Ken,
    If the joint is too tight, move the template away from you a bit... if the joint is too loose, move it towards you.

For bit depth setting tip, see page 5 of the supplemental manual. For repeated set up, a tip right below it on the same page says to use a 3/8"-16 nut to keep the brass adjustment knobs from moving.

HOOLLLLYYYYYY CCCoOowwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!
    Thanks Alex!!! I misread this manual.. I was moving the bit up and down to tighten and loosen the dovetails. No wonder it didn't work.... I'm not sure I should be playing with sharp tools.... Oh well...

HOOLLLLYYYYYY CCCoOowwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!
    Thanks Alex!!! I misread this manual.. I was moving the bit up and down to tighten and loosen the dovetails. No wonder it didn't work.... I'm not sure I should be playing with sharp tools.... Oh well...
    LOL... and my wife always makes fun of me for reading the manual ten times over before turning on a tool or an appliance.

Let us know how your next joint turns out. BTW, I had a problem with a drawer front and side aligning - someone said that I need to make sure that there is equal stock overhang all the way to the left and all the way to the right. Furthermore, I should measure with a caliper, from the dovetail jig finger to the edge of the stock on both sides and make sure it is equal.