Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PM 3520B question; morphed into PRE-GLOAT!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

PM 3520B question; morphed into PRE-GLOAT!

Powermatic offers a 2" Spindle Extension as an optional accessory. I'm not sure I understand the uses of this acessory, much less whether it would be beneficial to order one with the lathe.

I read somewhere that one of the 3520B modifications from the "A" model is a "chamfered" (for lack of a better word) vertical edge along the right side of the headstock in front, and that this was supposed to make it easier to gain tool access to the areas closer to the axis. This leads me to believe that the Spindle Extension was designed to address that issue with the "A" model and is an unneccessary attachment for the "B."

Am I correct about this, or is there some reason why I should consider purchasing a Spindle Extension? Just trying to "figure it all out" before I pull the trigger!

TIA!
    Last edited by Mark Pruitt; 02-07-2007 at 1:54 PM.

2. I wish I had one for some of those big, deep NE bowls I've turned... I end up using some "creative" jam chucks to finish the bottom of those...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Cothren
    I wish I had one for some of those big, deep NE bowls I've turned... I end up using some "creative" jam chucks to finish the bottom of those...
    Two words...vaccum chuck

"Creative" is good...I find myself doing it myself, until I find the time (or forced to) make my vacuum chuck.
    Dario

Dario,

On some of Mark's NE bowls, not even a large vacuum chuck would provide enough clearance. That boy cranks out some rather LARGE NE's from time to time.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Dario Octaviano
    Two words...vaccum chuck

"Creative" is good...I find myself doing it myself, until I find the time (or forced to) make my vacuum chuck.
    I gots a vacuum chuck and use it religously... but it's not deep enough to allow the wings to clear the headstock on those big Walnut NEs I turned back in November...

WOW...must be really big . Sorry

Did you try to use an extension on the chuck itself? IF it uses PVC pipes, an extension piece can be easilly added. Just a though.
    Dario

Mark P.

In some rare occassions it would be nice to have an extension, but the drawback to that is it moves the stresses further out from the headstock and increases the stress on the bearings as well as could increase any "wobble" that would be in the turning piece. Lastly, the further away from the headstock you get, you can experience reduced support for the turned piece.

Just some thoughts out loud.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    Mark P.

In some rare occassions it would be nice to have an extension, but the drawback to that is it moves the stresses further out from the headstock and increases the stress on the bearings as well as could increase any "wobble" that would be in the turning piece. Lastly, the further away from the headstock you get, you can experience reduced support for the turned piece.

Just some thoughts out loud.
    Good point but for cleaning the bottom...not too much stress should be generated.
    Dario

Not sure I would. Will add drift to any existing runout problem, could add some on its own, and cutting away from the headstock, even with the tailstock available has never been a big thing for me. I find it much easier to on myself and the shop space to cut from the same position on all my turnings. For interrupted edges, even green, I prepare the bottom prior to reversing and then sand, color or fiddle as required with the resulting oval area after final dry. Call it sloth or style, as you will, it hasn't stopped a sale yet. Might not be up to some other turners' standards, but it sure saves time.

Maybe someday a vacuum chuck, but it's not high on my list.

B A N G!!!

Thanks guys. I kinda figured the extension wasn't critical but thought I'd ask anyway. I also asked that same question of a dealer on the phone a few minutes ago, and he confirmed what I had suspected, that the extension is more for the "A" than the "B".

And speaking of that phone call....here's the big news:
    I finally pulled the trigger!!!
    One Magic Mustard Machine, ordered today, should be here in a week! I've got some space-making to do. You know what I'll be busy with!

11. Congrats Mark!!! Another mustard brutha...

Congrats Mark!

Color me GREEN with envy!

Mind sharing the source?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Well dadgummit!

I was gonna give you that spare 2436 Mayo I've had lying around. Guess it's time to go looking for a new worthy abysseree
    Only the Blue Roads

CONGRATS!!! You'll love it
    Dario

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    Well dadgummit!

I was gonna give you that spare 2436 Mayo I've had lying around. Guess it's time to go looking for a new worthy abysseree
    RIIIIIIIIGHT!!!
    Go ahead, send it on down! SWMBO can use it!