Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Got a call from MiniMax yesterday...

I had a few conversations with Dain, and what I liked is he never had a bad thing to say about any of the competitors. He always mentioned their good points. Of course, he always had more good points for the MM machines. Seems an excellent company.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

When I first called MiniMax many many months ago, I was connected to Dain. I ended up not buying anything from MM, but the way he treated me then and months later when I called again, was a large factor in my becoming a customer. Dain was up front, knew his equipment and how it compared to the competition, both pros AND cons, and provided a good deal without haggling or pressure. He and Tim (service manager) went out of their way to make sure I'd be happy with my purchase (on a Saturday no less) and also took care of an after sale issue.

Recently I was looking for a BS and almost got an S45 (I fixate on little things and Dain knew some details on the MM16 might bug me), even though it was a slight compromise, because of the way Dain & Tim have taken care of me. In the end I got a Bridgewood and had a good experience with Curt @ Wilke, but that's straying off topic. Now if only MiniMax and Wilke had better paint colors .

can I ask what the machine jim got costs?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Wagner
    can I ask what the machine jim got costs?
    Which Jim and which machine?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Which Jim and which machine?
    LOL, You, and Yours. the one you just unloaded.

They took care of me as well! Jim and Sam....great guys to deal with! They do what they say !
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Wagner
    LOL, You, and Yours. the one you just unloaded.
    Tim, you can see the current "list" prices of the MM stuff at their web site. I took advantage of a $1000 year end sale plus and additional $250 tooling incentive in the closing days of the year. Show specials are often similar in nature, but vary by circumstance.

Oh, it's nice to see they are running a promo on the FS30 J/P after the nice showing in the FW article. And upon further investigation, they are offering promos on many other machines right now, similar to the year end deals. I don't know about other vendors, but MM will allow folks to lock in a deal with a deposit when pricing is time-limited for folks contemplating or getting their ducks in a row. That's something I also did on my recent purchase as well as the other two earlier purchases a few years ago. Steel prices (as well as transportation costs) are wacky in the world right now and it's been forcing many manufacturers to raise prices.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    but MM will allow folks to lock in a deal with a deposit when pricing is time-limited for folks contemplating or getting their ducks in a row.
    That's how I got my MM16. I couldn't believe how flexible they were. I put my deposit down almost a year in advance to pick it up at the next show (whcih is only once a year, ugh). They let me get the lower prices (steel etc.). I paid for it in advance of the show, of course, but I picked it up there and all was kosher.

FWIW, MM didn't come to the Timonium, MD show this year. Neither did Laguna, Festool or some of the other good manufacturers that have been there in the past. I was surprised and disappointed.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brown
    FWIW, MM didn't come to the Timonium, MD show this year. Neither did Laguna, Festool or some of the other good manufacturers that have been there in the past. I was surprised and disappointed.
    They weren't going to do the Somerset NJ show either, but Sam is up here in PA on family business, so he's doing that event now based on my conversation with him yesterday or the day before...I forget which day! LOL
    --

WOW! I think i'll stick with the pm2k, at least until i start making some money at it anyway.

Here is my experience with MM, I have an MM16 bandsaw. Sam at MM was able to get me the IWF pricing a week after the show which was great. I got the saw and it runs fine. MM upgraded the switch that was causing problems. The problem that I still have is the switch prevents the bottom door from opening all the way so I can change wide blades without scratching the door or runing the blade. MM is aware of the problem and I have spoken to Sam at MM about it. MM has still not sent a fix after months of waiting. Sam did send me a 3/4 inch blade to help me out while I wait. I like the saw alot and I like Sam at MM and his attentivness but I still do not have a MM solution to a problem with my saw. I know the work arounds but I do not think I should not have to come up with them myself after spending $2K+. I know there are others with this problem. I think the problem is with MM corporate in Italy, the customer service here has their hands tied. Just my experience.

Another very satisfied customer. The only problem now is that I want additional equipment from them.

Joe

MM Customer Service

Thegreat folks at MM have been most helpful to me. They treat you like one of the family. I have a MM bandsaw and full combo machine now. You won't find better CS anywhere much less in Corp America.

14. .... Yes, I too got a call yesterday. They must be making the rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Welborn
    ... super nice guy. Wish I could remember his name, I forget my own some days lately. I had filled out a form requesting more information on their machines expecting I might get some literature in the mail. Never expected a call. Explained I was probably two - three months away from purchasing and was just gathering information to compare machines/specs/prices... He was cool with that. Asked about what machines I was interested in etc... Ended up the conversation asking me to give him a call if there were any questions I needed an answer to, and hoping we could do business when I was ready.

Now over the past several days I've filled out a boatload of forms requesting information and catalogs, but these MM boys calling and spending time answering questions even after it was evident a sale was not in the near future put em another rung up the ladder in my book. (even though I generally hate the phone. Previous career turned me against the particular appliance forever. Every time it rang there was another perceived crisis on the other end)

Had decided I wanted to get a larger and therefore more expensive bandsaw than I first intended, and had narrowed my bandsaw choices to four. The Bridgewood PBS-440/540, An Oliver 4640 (750lb monster), the MM16, or maybe one of the larger Grizzly offerings. Price is always a factor and I was leaning towards the BW. Wanna guess who's the new front runner?

A lot can happen in a few months, but whoever it was called may just have made a sale without even knowing it. I'll also be taking a closer look at their other machines as well. Wish their website was a little more informative.
    Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself.

I've had nothing but good experiences with MM, and Dain still calls occasionally "just check in." Really nice guy, great company.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.