Thread: Latest FWW

Latest FWW

The latest Fine Woodworking has a review of European jointer/planers (MM came out on top), as well as a one-pager on the domino (haven't read it yet).

Given recent topics, I thought folks would be interested.

Pete

Thanks for the info Pete. A question, if I may? How much did you pay to subscribe to FWW? The 3 year deal sounds like a bit much for 3 years. I have been buying it off the newstand for awhile now and can't quite flip the switch on the 3 year price. Can it be had for cheaper anywhere else?

Dave

p.s. I am not being cheap, it just seems like a lot of $ for 3 years of a magazine.
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

Ooh...'just picked it out of the mailbox on the way back from lunch...I'll have to open up the article as soon as I get a few minutes!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by David Cramer
    ...Can it be had for cheaper anywhere else?
    Try this search:
    http://www.magazinepricesearch.com/d...odworking.html

Let's get back to the topic at hand
    Last edited by Alex Berkovsky; 02-08-2007 at 7:17 PM.

thanks Pete

saw your post and hit the mailbox in my socks No mag yet guess i will have to wait till the weekend..

Quote Originally Posted by David Cramer
    Thanks for the info Pete. A question, if I may? How much did you pay to subscribe to FWW? The 3 year deal sounds like a bit much for 3 years. I have been buying it off the newstand for awhile now and can't quite flip the switch on the 3 year price. Can it be had for cheaper anywhere else?
    p.s. I am not being cheap, it just seems like a lot of $ for 3 years of a magazine.
    I honestly don't recall. I have to admit that I'm a magazine junkie. I'm finally letting a bunch of my model railroading magazine subscriptions expire as the content has gotten repetitious, but FWW is the only woodworking one I currently subscribe to besides shopnotes (which I'm iffy on). I tend to pick all the others up at the local Borders or B&N more often than not.

I also have the Taunton online membership. That has come in very useful. Instant access to tons of old articles is very helpful.

Pete

The article makes me think very seriously about adding a digidrive to raise and lower the planer bed like on the Felder machines. Does MM offer a powered planer bed?

Thanks for the link Alex. That price sounds a little more doable(acceptable). Thanks for responding Pete and I may check into that online membership.

Dave
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kain
    Does MM offer a powered planer bed?
    Yes, MM does offer a powered bed. Mu 410 Elite does not have it, and I don't miss it. But then, I'm not doing production work all day long.

I think that MM only offers a powered planer table on the highest end machines...probably special order. I certainly don't miss not having one on my FS350...changeovers only take about a minute total, including cranking. The article does point out that the raise/lower wheel works opposite than expected, but I've mostly gotten used to that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

11. Quote Originally Posted by David Cramer

Dave

I subscribed to FWW during its years in the mid-90's. It seemed like back then every other issue had an article on tuning up your bandsaw. It just wasnt the best years for the magazine, and as I've been perusing those back issues lately, some of the letters are quite nasty. But I recently started reading again and the magazine has improved dramatically. I especially like the master class section at the back. But I don't pay for the magazine. I bought a year of subscription to the FWW website (like $35) and I get to see every article in all the issues for that price, even back issues, and there are tons of articles. Plus its easier to search and see a PDF for the article right away instead of having to rifle through the magazine itself. Granted, I do prefer to actually have the magazine in hand, but I'm at the point in my woodworking that I don't get much buzz from a magazine anymore, and when I need some specific information in a jiffy, the FWW website fits the bill perfectly. I think it's a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kain
    The article makes me think very seriously about adding a digidrive to raise and lower the planer bed like on the Felder machines. Does MM offer a powered planer bed?
    FS41 Elite S (3-phase version only), stock item, see Mark Singer's reviews
    FS1 & FS2, (3-phase) special order from Italy
    Casadei FS41/51, also special order

I think Felder might be the only option for Power/Digi drive in single phase.
    Last edited by Charles Grosjean; 02-09-2007 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Grosjean
    FS41 Elite S (3-phase version only), stock item, see Mark Singer's reviews
    FS1 & FS2, (3-phase) special order from Italy
    Casadei FS41/51, also special order

I think Felder might be the only option for Power/Digi drive in single phase.
    Yep, the Felder AD741 Powerdrive comes in single phase. Powerdrive is the most common configuration that they make, in fact it's harder to get an AD741 without Powerdrive. I tried to order one with the manual lower/raise, but they offered me a better deal on the Powerdrive. Appearantly, the Powerdrive is made in a much higher volume, and can be made for less than the manual model.

By the way, I wouldn't worry about getting Powerdrive. It only takes about a minute to switchover with a hand crank, not even an annoyance for me.

Todd