Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is This Good?

Is This Good?

I'm not sure I can post the web address, if not please delete this post.

I'm just wondering if this is a reasonable deal?

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/tls/275744363.html

I've been looking at like the Steel City 3 hp or the grizzly

Nice saw except

for all the blood under it
    Last edited by don romans; 02-08-2007 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by don romans
    I never thought of that. Maybe that is why it is for sale!! Maybe he's upgrading to a stop saw

Quote Originally Posted by don romans
    ROTFLMAO.....

Now forwarding to a Police officer woodworker I know

Maybe he was putting an ogee on a couple steaks? ;-)

Pete (assuming it's red paint, since blood would be brown <g>)

That blood stain was cool, think I will be using my bandsaw today instead of my TS after seeing that.

He ought to clean that paint up or someone may think he injured himself and it is blood and wants the saw out of his hair at all cost...

Now back to the saw question?

It looks to be a early to mid 80's saw (mine looks identicle).

For $950 it is a good deal, for $900 it's a great deal. IMHO.

Good luck.

Paul,

I own that exact same saw and I purchased mine in 1981 for $1800.00. That did not include the outfeed table or the Bies. fence. It is a high quality saw and was considered the cream of the crop. I have done the exact upgrades to my saw as this indvidual such as a motor housing and Bies. fence. Beleive it or not, I have never changed the bearings or the belts and my saw runs as well as the day I purchased it. The Rockwell Unisaw of this vintage are still in heavy use all over the world and as far as I know, parts are and always will be available for them. It is all USA made with a 3hp motor and I would compare them in quality to the top of the line Generals out of Canada which are now going for around $2500-$2900 apiece for the comparible saw. These saws in good condition usually go for around $800-$900 and with a new Bies,fence and all the other upgrade and maintanence on the saw,$1200.00 might not be a real bad price. Personally, I would offer $1050.00 and see what happens. If this saw has been used and maintained as the owner say, you would have one heck of a saw.

Feel free to email

Dan

Why are you sell the saw

It does look like GOOD saw, but I must ask this question. Why are you selling the saw?

Why are you sell the saw

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass
    I'm not sure I can post the web address, if not please delete this post.

I'm just wondering if this is a reasonable deal?

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/tls/275744363.html

I've been looking at like the Steel City 3 hp or the grizzly

why are you selling such a good saw, if I may ask?

The thing that stands out to me, is why did the guy change out all of the bearings? Were they worn out, or otherwise gone bad or was he trying to tune it up to be even better?

If the saw was so worn out that they required replacement, that would make me question it's value. I have a hard time believing a home use saw would see enough service to require this level of maintenence, except for the belts.

If he was doing it for tune up reasons, I doubt there was much gain to be had.

I treat this the same as replacing the brakes on a car. If it needs doing ok, but it doesn't increase the value of the car.

So it comes down to whether this saw is a good saw or not, and is the price fair. From my limited experience, I looked for a decent used cabnet saw for many years, and I never found one when I was looking. You can go for months or years looking for that "deal of a century" (that's why they call it that) and you may not find it. Also as soon as you stop actively looking you'll never know how many deals may have passed you by. In the mean time you are still without a saw.

I am still kicking my self for not getting the holiday Unisaw deal on Amazon. I would wait for the next sale and buy new rather than take a chance on the one that had bearings replaced as Bill wrote. What was the reason for the bearing replacement? Or, I would wait until one of our fellow SMC partners to upgrade to a Saw Stop and keep the money in the family.
    David B

rockwell unisaw

Paul: I agree with some of the other previous posts that the bearing changes is suspecious. It is pretty tough for a residential person to wear them out. It may have had commercial use. I had a Rockwell contractor saw I bought around 1979. I never had to do anything to it and finally gave it last year to my nephew. The price is high even if it is as represented. If you wait a little he probably with be more agreeable to a lower price. $800 to $900 range seems in line with what people pay where I am. It probably is a solid performer. By the way I was born in Seattle, Washington. We moved when I was very little. My biggest memory of Seattle is stepping on a huge snake in a park. It scared the heck out of me and I have hated snakes every since. Happy saw hunting. I looked for a year in my area for a unisaw and finally gave up and bought a special sale one from amazon two years ago. If I had found a sound old one at a fair price I would have bought it. Have you looked at the saw in person and checked it out?
    Gary

I appreciate the input, and for those that asked I am not the salee I would be the buyee.. My problem is I am not an expert on saws so I am afraid to buy used. This looked like a great saw but even if I went and looked at it I am just not expert enough to know what to really look for. Guess it is best to stick with new where you have a warranty.