Thread: Cyclone Help

Cyclone Help

How far of the ground is the main line supposed to be on the cyclone. I have ten foot ceilings and I am just wondering how far I need to mount the cyclone up. It has a angled inlet pipe so that is going to make the main line rise anyway. I was just wandering what you guys do. I know the further the dust has to travel the more resistance. But I want to keep it high enough to be out of my way.

Thanks Trey

Hi, I mounted mine with the end of the motor 4" below the ceiling to give me a nice long piece of flex from the bottom of the cone to the waste barrel.

Regards, Rod.

Personal preference. Most folks prefer the duct work up as high as possible for a less obstructed shop environment. There is no issue with "gravity" to worry about...dust collection is about moving air and the moving air moves the dust and chips which are of relatively insignificant weight. There is no issue with the drop to the bin, either...as long as it's perfectly sealed. I think if I had a long drop to the barrel, I'd probably use metal duct for a good portion of it and just flex near the barrel, but it really doesn't matter.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Trey,

I mounted my cyclone on the stand which sits on the floor.
    I then ran pipe up to where I wanted my duct runs to go. I connected the barrel with ever flex Oneida sent. HTH.

Chris

Shouldn't matter at all. DO what works and gives the most room.

Here is what I did, it is shown after the saw mods.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30961

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Chritz
    Shouldn't matter at all. DO what works and gives the most room.
    Here is what I did, it is shown after the saw mods.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30961
    Joe
    Joe, the S-curve in your ductwork there is really hurting your machine's performance, You may want to rethink that. I forget how many straight feet you need in between elbows, but I believe it is 2'-3'. Otherwise the turbulence cuts the efficiency way down.

For the OP, as long as you avoid a curve right out of the cyclone (per Oneida guidelines), and don't connect two elbows together, you should be fine at any height. One thing to keep in mind is if you put it up high, you can put a larger drum under the unit.

Pete

I'm with Jim B. Mount it as high as you can and drop to the tools. That way even moving sheet goods won't interfere with the ducting for the most part. And it will give you the biggest option for a chip barrel. I ran my ducts in the "attic" space in my shop which puts the ducting about 8 1/2 to 9' at the highest point. The cyclone inlet is just below the ceiling height which is just under 8'. I dream of 10' ceilings, so count yourself lucky on that account. Good luck with the installation. Keep the turns to a minimum. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Pete...

I assumed the same thing and it may be but it is how the engineers at oneida drew up the duct work. Seemed weird to me as well.

It needs to exit at that height because the filter is on the other side of the wall. When I add a run (soon) I am planning on making that one 45 at the wall and one at the machine to streamline it.

I thought about a before/after test when I move it around but will mostly likely forget to do it.

Thanks

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"