Thread: New PC Dovetail Jig

New PC Dovetail Jig

Did I miss something, or is that a radically new dovetail jig from PC on the inside back cover of FWW? It looks like a cross between the Leigh D4 and the old PC Omnijig with a few updates
    added in. It will be available May of 2007 according to the PC web site.

I am an Akeda fan myself, but this looks interesting and will need checking out.

CPeter
    Last edited by CPeter James; 02-10-2007 at 10:04 AM.

CPeter......that caught my eye too. I'm fighting a "coad" right now so am not too alert. My FWW showed up yesterday. Late last night I glanced at it but ....it did look as you stated. I'm going back and look at it again.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I added in a photo for those that don't get FWW. I think the thing in the back with all the knobs is a bit height adjusting gauge.

CPeter

Looks like PC has jumped on the D4 bandwagon...and they added a few little nice things, like the router stablization, etc. Interesting. 'Wonder how it will compare cost wise with the D4...

The downside is that PC support is not likely to compare to Leigh or Akeda. Small companies generally get 5 stars in that area!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the heads up CPeter. I was about to buy my first "good" DT jig.

Looks like I'll wait to see how the reviews stack this one up against the rest.

Russ

According to Wood Mag. ( Dec.-Jan.) Porter-Cable is celebrating it's 100 th anniversary by designing the new 24" Omnijig Joinery System. It has color-coded instructions right on the jig and built-in depth stops for setting your router bit's cutting depth. Going to cost about $ 550 though.
    What's really got my attention though is the LEIGH Vacuum & Router Support that is comming out soon. Says it has a video on web site.

http://leighjigs.com/vids.php#
    Last edited by Gary Keedwell; 02-10-2007 at 11:09 AM.

It seems like a long time ago, but this new Omnijig was announced at IWF in August and The Woodworking Channel had a pretty good interview with the PC product mgr who "invented" it. It has some nice new features. I havent seen it yet but have one coming my way and will put it to the test and report on it here. And, yes, the color thing in the back is a guide for setting your router bit depth.
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

Gary - Woodworker's Supply has it in their new catalog for the low low price of $499.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo
    Gary - Woodworker's Supply has it in their new catalog for the low low price of $499.
    Dave..Yea, that's a little too rich for my blood. I'm leaning on the Leigh D1600 for $330.

Gary K.

Hi John,

Some/many of us will be watching for your review and comparison.

David

Quote Originally Posted by John Lucas
    It seems like a long time ago, but this new Omnijig was announced at IWF in August and The Woodworking Channel had a pretty good interview with the PC product mgr who "invented" it. It has some nice new features. I havent seen it yet but have one coming my way and will put it to the test and report on it here. And, yes, the color thing in the back is a guide for setting your router bit depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo
    I would have to make an awful lot of dovetails to justify that jig.

I just found a video of the prototype on google. That thing in back is indeed a bit height-setting jigging. At the time of the video, it was supposed to be available in January, but now they're saying May. It does variably spaced dovetails and also mortises and tenons (with an additional-cost attachment). At over $500 for the basic machine, it's going to be expensive to get one that can explore all the possibilities.