View Poll Results: Which set would you buy for roughly same price??

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Asley Iles 6 pc set Amer Bench chisels

45 66.18%
  • Two Cherries 6 pc set Bech chisels in a box

23 33.82%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chisel tie breaker help needed (Poll).

Chisel tie breaker help needed (Poll).

In a week or so, I will have an option of purchasing my first set of higher end chisels. I can get a set of 6 Ashley Iles Amer Bench chisels OR a set of 6 Two Cherries bench chisels in a box. Both are priced a little over $100 with no appreciable difference in cost. Which would you buy if in my shoes? I've been using the usual hardware store variety, a Marple or two but ready to make the leap if worthwhile jump in quality. I'll attach a poll of the 2 choices. Thanks
    Last edited by Jerry Olexa; 02-11-2007 at 2:59 PM.
    Jerry

2. I would buy one of each and figure out what feels good in the hand and then return the other one. The decsion is too individual to be left to a poll.

mhg's

Hi Jerry,

I've been looking a lot at bench chisels lately -- wanted to make sure you looked at the chisel review pdf in the badger pond archive -- the author liked two cherries best

I'm also considering the mhg non-boxed set from Hartville Tool -- $89 for six chisels sized in imperial units. Also, I wonder if the 15% discount for woodnet forum members might apply . . .

Good luck finding the best fit,
    Gil

Jerry,
    If you haven't held either one of these in your hand, I highly recommend you do so. At the WW show this weekend I had the chance to hold the AI for the first time. The big handles on the regular version of the AI just seemed too big for my tastes, though the Butt chisels felt good in the hand. Lee Valley had the Hirsch (supposedly the same as Two Cherries) that felt much better in my hand.
    My thoughts when handling the AI for the first time were the big long handles would be ok for paring but the length was too long for dovetails, for me, since I like to hold them down on the blade to be more precise. They weren't nearly as top heavy as my Blue Chips, but just didn't feel quite right, at least for the way I work.

Mark

Jerry, dig into that secret compartment in your billfold, grab the other mad money you have in there and treat yourself to a set of 5 of the Lie Nielsen bench chisels. You'll never look back! I picked up the set of long-handled, Cocobolo version a couple weeks ago. From start to finish, including setting up my stones, it took me less than an hour to flatten and hone all five! These things are wonderful. The long-handled version is primarily for paring, however, their regular bench chisels take nicely to a mallet. Either way, they're a wonderful tool to behold and use! Worthy of your skills!!!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I have the Iles bench chisels and I am very happy with them...

I have the AI american pattern on order from Joel at Tools For Working Wood, unfortunatly, they have been out of stock since December. I have recieved the 1/8", but have not used it much yet.

Jonathan

Personally I think the best advice is what Mark and Joel advise, figure out a way to somehow handle both types and see which one fits your hand, and style of woodworking best, that includes the LN ones, which consdiering the price should not have to be fettled at all.

As Joel stated it is a personal decision and should not be trusted to the personal decisions of others. I for example use Narex chisels which I replaced my blue chip chisels with and am happy with them, but you have to decide what is best for you.
    Craftsmanship is the skill employed in making a thing properly, and a good craftsman is one who has complete mastery over his tools and material, and who uses them with skill and honesty.

N. W. Kay

Quote Originally Posted by James Mittlefehldt
    [...] that includes the LN ones, which consdiering the price should not have to be fettled at all.
    I'm not sure what you mean, even LN chisels should be worked on, even if they are sharper than most right out of the box.

I have one AI chisel that I got from Joel and some 2 Cherries. The 2 Cherries required more work to be usable -- more back flattening, soaking in lacquer thinner... It took only 5 minutes to flatten the back of the AI (small chisel) --- BUT:
    this really shouldn't be the main criterion for deciding -- it's the handle and weight balance of the chisels that you have to live with (although with more work, you can change the handles) -- and that is really a personal decision. These are all good chisels, just a question of what feels right for you to use. I think it's neat that Joel will let you get 2 different types of chisels and return one when you decide. When he gets them back in stock, I'm planning to try the longer handle AI.
    -Andy
    Last edited by Andrew Homan; 02-11-2007 at 9:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by James Mittlefehldt
    Personally I think the best advice is what Mark and Joel advise, figure out a way to somehow handle both types and see which one fits your hand, and style of woodworking best, that includes the LN ones, which consdiering the price should not have to be fettled at all.
    I agree with James that, "hands on" is the best way to determine a buying decision. Wrapping your own mitt around the chisel will quickly let you know if you'll be comfortable with a certain design.

However, I also agree with Andrew, in as much as, fettling will be required on all but maybe custom made chisels or planes. (We're talking high, HIGH end units here!) I have both, LN chisels and planes and they're all usable "out of the box". This means they're sharp. NOT honed or fettled. And why should a person pay so much and not get that service? For starters, they would cost even more. But, even more importantly, hand tools are a very personal type of tool and people tend to adopt their own practices in sharpening/honing them. Some folks like a hollow ground. Others don't. Some like a micro-bevel, others don't bother with it. Hence, if the OEM does the honing in a certain manner and charges more $$$ for it, the specific consumer may easily balk at paying more money for having something done in a manner they don't use. I work in the computer field and some folks are miffed that most printers don't come with the proper cable to hookup to their computer. Same story. Many of the printers sold today are replacement units and people already have the proper cables. OEM printer companies used to supply these cables at a built-in cost and folks started to gripe that they're paying for something they don't need, because they already have it. Pretty much the same thing.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Jerry you should try them...or by a few of each instead of a set...for fine work the Blue Spruce are my choice...
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

That was my main point to, the best chisels in the world from the best manufacturer are no good to you if they do not feel comfortable. I suspect that the LN product though, would feel great in the hand, I will have to handle some at the next woodshow I go to and see what I think.

I just looked at a set of those LN's in another tread and I have to say they sure are purty.
    Craftsmanship is the skill employed in making a thing properly, and a good craftsman is one who has complete mastery over his tools and material, and who uses them with skill and honesty.

N. W. Kay

chisels

My instructor gave me this advice. Buy a 3/4" chisel from a few manufacturers, until you are ready to buy a set. You will have some extra chisels in a very popular size. This will allow you to (potentially) delay resharpening for a while, sine that's a pretty useful size. When you find a series you like, .

I have an Ashley Iles in the American Pattern and the Bevel edge model. I don't like the american pattern as they have a tiny handle on them. I like the larger handle of the other model.

Also, I have a set of Two Cherries, which have another type of handle. The advice of trying different types of chisels is great! I might unload the two cherries in favor of the bevel edge. (or I am going to keep shopping around.) I have been looking to pick up a blue spruce.

PM me if you are interested.

dan
    And just a note....Joel's place, toolsforworkingwood is an absolute dreambook for a woodworker. Japanese models, AI, Sorby, Two cherries in plastic and wood. Great service, great everything.
    Last edited by Dan Racette; 02-11-2007 at 12:12 PM.
    Sharpening skills, the plane truth.

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Jerry, dig into that secret compartment in your billfold, grab the other mad money you have in there and treat yourself to a set of 5 of the Lie Nielsen bench chisels. You'll never look back! I picked up the set of long-handled, Cocobolo version a couple weeks ago. From start to finish, including setting up my stones, it took me less than an hour to flatten and hone all five! These things are wonderful. The long-handled version is primarily for paring, however, their regular bench chisels take nicely to a mallet. Either way, they're a wonderful tool to behold and use! Worthy of your skills!!!
    Thanks, John. Its just that I don't have your bankroll I agree the LN's are the top of the food chain but thought I would walk before I try to run. Besides, my skill level is not up with yours I figure the 2 I'm considering are A's and the LN's are AA+. I do plan someday to treat myself to one of their planes Oh well...
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    Jerry you should try them...or by a few of each instead of a set...for fine work the Blue Spruce are my choice...
    Mark: Yours might be the best advice of trying one or two of each. Then, later after use, get the set you prefer.Thanks
    Jerry