Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It had to happen-NYW+yeller tools

Exclamation It had to happen-NYW+yeller tools

Today's New Yankee Workshop, the western piece in Jackson WY.(we didn't care for the piece, Jackson is real nice ) driving 4" screws into the legs, a glimpse of a DeWalt drill. .The Gray monopoly is broken. Yeah, I know he has used non Porter Cable stuff, but not very often. What was the "high speed rotary tool" he was using? If that was a RotoZip, I think I'll go into shock.

Curt

Curt, PC, Delta and Dewalt are all part of Black and Decker...so it's no surprise if you see some alternative tools on occasion. And he's used Senco/Accuset nailers from time to time as well as a few other things...with the labels taped off.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Uses a Lamello biscuit joiner.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Curt, PC, Delta and Dewalt are all part of Black and Decker...so it's no surprise if you see some alternative tools on occasion. And he's used Senco/Accuset nailers from time to time as well as a few other things...with the labels taped off.
    Yeah, I know, but still

Dremel

It looked like a Dremel to me. Which has headquarters right here in Racine, WI. Also if it was a Rotozip, I believe they are now owned by Bosch. (I believe the original Rotozip was made/invented also by someone right here in WI). Not that any of this really matters.
    Last edited by Scott D Johnson; 02-10-2007 at 7:33 PM.

I am sure during the last few years he's got left, you'll see more and more different tools popping up. He is getting into building different things every year and I thoroughly enjoy watching when I can. I don't mean just a different color drill, but using the dremel type tool is not something I've seen him do before. But maybe he has I missed it.

Personally, I loved the piece and thought it was well built with clean lines and pretty classy looking to boot (no cowboy pun intended). But, that's just me.

Dave
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

It was nice to see something different. I always like it when Norm does something out of the box and stretches himself a bit.

By the way Rotozip was originally in Cross Plains, Wisconsin before they were bought out. I thought a Chinese company had bought them but Bosch may have bought them since.

-Jon

Holmes on Homes

We get a great program (produced in Canada) about a home builder named Mike Holmes who fixes up all sorts of screwed-up contracting jobs in the Toronto area. Most and perhaps all of his gear is DeWalt. "Holmes on Homes" is broadcast on Friday evening and repeated several times on Saturday. We understand it is one of the most popular shows in Canada and is now in its sixth season. He's not into fine woodworking; just practical carpentry, home improvement, and renovation. Needless to say, he has some salty observations about sloppy workmanship and fraudulent homebuilding practices. I have learned a lot just watching and listening.
    Al Clem
    Sedona, AZ

Not to crash your post or anything, but did you guys notice Norm struggling with that paint brush? His hands aren't as steady as they use to be.

I really liked the piece, its not my style, but I think I'll try a few of the techniques like the routing out panels and those crazy worm holes.

Chuck

I noticed last season he was shaking while trying to do some work. Makes you wonder how much longer he has.

Al,

We get the Holmes on Homes program on cable TV here in Australia, and apart from his tendency to over dramatise everything, I find it quite informative and interesting. Unfortunately they have dropped NYW so I need every wood fix I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne Payne
    I noticed last season he was shaking while trying to do some work. Makes you wonder how much longer he has.
    Oh Lordy,

Now we are scouting TV personalities like NFL Quarterbacks.

Maybe we should consider wagering on how long till we see the

battery operated clamps.

I dunno why, but I find this distasteful.

Instead of out to pasture, how about time to roam the woodlot.

Baaah.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Per Swenson
    Oh Lordy,

Now we are scouting TV personalities like NFL Quarterbacks.

Maybe we should consider wagering on how long till we see the

battery operated clamps.

I dunno why, but I find this distasteful.

Instead of out to pasture, how about time to roam the woodlot.

Baaah.

Per
    Yeah....X2 agree with 'ya Per
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne Payne

I think this is an opportunity. I've seen it discussed here, that Norm is going to be replaced at some point on TNYW and they are going to push their own product lines.
    Well, Norm could then state if he has any issues, and then have "The New Abilties Workshop".

I believe Norm's "issue" may be that he is about 57 or 58 years old. Not that I consider that particularly old, but a bit of hand unsteadiness is not at all uncommon. No offense intended to Norm, or Per for that matter.