Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member wants to know how to get started.

Question New Member wants to know how to get started.

I recently joined this forum (even made a donation but it evidently hasn't posted yet) and am a novice woodworker. I have a Craftsman 9" table saw that is 25 plus years old and a Craftsman Router table that is about the same vintage. Bought a PC 893 2 1/4 hp router that I really like and have a Dewalt 10" mitre saw along with a few clamps and very basic hand tools. I need some advice on where to go next? I was thinking of getting a BS and Jointer or should I get a better table saw or planner first. I keep drooling over the tool gloats and the cost of the equipment I "needed" kept getting more expensive. If I buy the equipment I really like, I won't be able to completly finish buying it for 4 more years. I guess that is my question, is it better to get "good" quality smaller equipment and upgrade later if necessary or should I wait. I want to bypass bench top tools but think I could make some nice items with some smaller floor models. I would love to try turning but small bowls and pens or candle sticks would probably be the extent of my projects so would a mini lathe suffice?

I plan on building mostly small boxes, night stands, coffee tables etc but would like to be able to build something bigger if the need/desire came up. My wifes grandfather built some beautiful grandfather clocks and had all benchtop equipment so I guess skill plays a bigger part than machinery.

I've rambled long enough. Any words of wisdom will be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Determined to master the skew.....patience is a virtue

Welcome. Doug

Probably my answer will be different than the majority opinion but believe it if it makes sense and rejrect it otherwise. Start working with the tools you have. Don't take on projects that require tools or skills you don't have yet. For instance, until you have a jointer you probably don't want to glue up panels for a dining room table. But you can certainly make a picnic table for the back yard.

The oft stated "rule" to buy the best quality and buy once makes sense, but so does the advice to buy good used tools and save money that way.

If you buy tools as you need them, you won't have money tied up in a great tool you never have the need to use.

Again welcome, and post lots of pictures of your progress.
    18th century nut --- Carl

I would stay away from entry level machinery and save money to buy the better quality tools. You'll save money in the long run. I started with entry level tools and have replaced all of them with better as time went on. I would have been money ahead to save until I could afford what I really wanted.
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

First, welcome to the Creek. When I say you have an interesting dilemma, I mean in. We in woodworking can get caught up in the Normite world of the biggest and best. I have my share of guilty pleasures (18' bandsaw, plenty of Festool equipment) and some of the guys here have things you would drool over! (drum sanders and table saws with riving knives and sliding tables).

The truth is, there are also people here who produce woodworking results you would drool over and they do it with very basic tools. I can assure you, you are not alone in the Craftsman tablesaw crowd!

That's where your dilemma becomes interesting. You probably have enough in your workshop to do lots of great projects. Did you ever watch "the router workshop" on PBS? Those guys ONLY use a router! You can move along slowly as you learn and add tools (please also consider hand tools) as you go - that's the fun part.

My first advice is to make sure the tools you have are properly aligned. If they are not, there are lots of articles and posts here and elsewher on the web for learning that. A set of "PALS" from inline industries will go a long way toward making your tablesaw cut accurately if it already does not.

Out of the tools you list, I think a bandsaw would be the best addition to your collection. There are some here who have argued that a bandsaw can replace a tablesaw. With a router for dado work, they are probably right.

Also, do not shy away from "used" tools or "old iron". You can still find baragin tools on craigslist, ebay, garage sales and the classifieds forums here and on the other woodworking sites. You can add some good stuff for cheap.

As for your other tools on the want list (planer and jointer), I would not buy one until I could buy both. They really are so related when it comes to milling that I think they are both essential at the same time. A planer is probably useless without a jointer. I could not argue that the other way around, so if you must get one, get the jointer first.

Finally, have fun and ask questions here. The people on this board are helpful and many are accomplished (we have some heavy hitters here and I am always pleasantly surprised at how giving they are of their ideas and time).

I have a pretty complete shop and did not pay full price for most of it. I bought a used PM66 for $1,000. That was one of my biggest outlays. I just picked up another PC 6902 router brand new for $98.50. My theory is to wait until the deal comes to you and not go looking of the deal. I stumble onto more than I can afford or need. I try not to pay more than 40% of new.

Check out you local Craig's List and don't give up on EBAY. Do local searches so you can look before you buy.

CPeter
    Last edited by CPeter James; 02-11-2007 at 8:49 PM.

Doug.

Lumber follows a flow path for work. Jointing, planing, sizing, shaping, sanding,assembling, finishing.

Start with a good jointer. You will read countless threads where more experienced woodworkers advise less experienced woodworkers to get the biggest jointer they can afford. Bigger is better.

A 15" stationary planer is more planer than most woodworkers will ever need. This is also my minimum size. if you need a bigger planer, you'll know it.

If your current tablesaw will cut to a line repeatedly,doesn't bog down and pop breakers. Keep it for awhile longer, until you have a chance to determine what size and type of tablesaw you really need.

Bandsaws are like Jointers. Bigger is better. There is aways a ton of 14" Taiwanese bandsaws for sale used from folks that upgraded to bigger bandsaws for resawing.
    You'll find that once you have a nice powerful bandsaw, your tablesaw will get less use. Bandsaws are very versatile.

"Material Prep" is where you might want to consider starting your machine investments. Once you find out what type of woodworking you're into, that will dictate the rest of your selections. You always have to prepeare stock though, no matter what.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 02-11-2007 at 9:27 AM.

Blog Entries
    Doug,

It sounds like you have enough tools to build coffe tables, end tables, bookcases, etc. Find some good books on woodworking (try your library) and go from there. Your first projects don't have to be built from cherry or walnut, you can build some nice projects out of pine. Save up for bigger and better tools as finances permit.

Welcome To The Creek...
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Welcome to the forum from another Iowegian. Your predictament is the same as most of us at one time. The guys have given good advice. With the exception of perhaps a planer, the entry level bench top tools will leave you wanting for more in a matter of days. Do you NEED a new TS? Does the one you have right now cut accurate enough to make the things you want with very tight joints? As I read on some forum, square is square, flat is flat, parallel is parallel. If your saw does those things, then buying an expensive one isn't going to improve your woodworking all that much.

Sounds like your Grandpa made some nice stuff using a benchtop. I bought a benchtop TS in October, and a cabinet in January. The little Dewalt was extremely accurate on little boards. I have found I can cut (wrestle) a largish piece of plywood on it too. Just sneak up on it with six tiny cuts. Or my Craftsman 22124 cabinet saw will do it in a fraction of the time with the good Biesemeyer fence. I'll never go back to a portable saw for woodworking.

I just read Mikes post. I was going to say the jointer is the one tool I could have waited a while to buy. My table saw and planer seem dead on to me. Joints appear very tight. I'm sure he is right though. Maybe I need some more precise measuring tools?

Doug, I like what Carl said, do with what you have for now. Then you can add equipment as you need it. Look at each project and then figure out what equipment you may need to finish it just like you do your cut list and hardware list. Its nice to buy tools but its better to add one at a time and learn how to use it before buying another...

Blog Entries
    Speaking as one who bought some low end used stuff to start. I did so because I didn't know if I would stick with the hobby. Once it stuck I couldn't get rid of the "let's see" stuff fast enough (still have the BS & DP). This is always a tough call because we can't all afford to run out and buy "the best" right now.

I bought better routers and this and that to milk some more life out of my starter tools but then hit the wall with what they would do reasonably. I say reasonably because people do build beautiful items without major power tools. I just don't have that gift.

My first big upgrade was the table saw. I chose a hybrid based on power and space availability. I then built shop cabinets for the planer, CMS, router table, etc. This not only helped set up shop but it helped me develop a method of work so I could judge what kind of tools I "need". Before practicing a little bit I couldn't have told you that I need a better jointer before i get a better BS, now I know.

A bigger jointer is my plan for this year. . . let's see; 8" or 12" . . . 8" or 12" . . .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Another Thought

When I was in the start-up mode with my shop - didn't have a full stable of tools - I took classes at the local high school. There wasn't much instruction, but one had use of the tools. It was how I learned what a jointer could do and also a router. If you have that opportunity you can postpone purchase of certain tools while you accumulate the money to buy them.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Thumbs up

When you can build good stuff with what you have, think how much better you will be as you gradually upgrade to better tools. You will also have a better idea of what you want as you get more experience. The only tools I have that I am sorry I bought are the ones I rushed to get and didn't take the time to be sure it is what I wanted.

Welcome to the forum, you came to the right place.

Says "contributor" under your name....

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley
    A bigger jointer is my plan for this year. . . let's see; 8" or 12" . . . 8" or 12" . . .
    16"

Welcome to Sawmill Creek.

Upgrade or add to your tool collection as you take on projects that need the new tool. Since you already have a "beginner" set of tools, when you upgrade go to a level that you are pretty sure will last you for a number of years. If you find you need to upgrade a tool later, buying decent quality now will mean those tools can be sold later. Never buy on price alone - that is typically a waste of money.

I started out with a garage shop full of Craftsman tools. I now have a bigger garage shop full of everything but Craftsman tools. Most of those Craftsman tools served me well for many years, and when I upgraded I easily sold the old Craftsman tools for about half the current street price for an equivelant tool.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Welcome Doug to SMC. I was like you 4 or 5 years ago. I have a bench top Delta tablesaw. I built a roll around bench for it and like one the posters said get some equipment to check it for square and accuracy. Still accurate enough for me. I was going to get a jointer first thing. I had a elderly gentleman help me build a jig out of a woodworking book where you use a router as a jointer. I don't need a jointer now. So I bought a good bandsaw instead of a jointer or planer. I have several hand planes if I need a board planed.

I agree with Carl and others. Buy the tools as you need them. Do some reading and take some classes.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.