Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project finished...Finally

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Project finished...Finally

I started this Queen Anne Handkerchief table in tiger maple in September 2005 and worked on it until that November. Then because of demands from the toolmaking business, my regular day job, life in general, etc, etc, etc, it lay fallow and untouched until November 2006. I've managed since then to get in small bits of work on it here and there. Today I finally got to rub out the garnet shellac finish and do the final assembly. While there were the usual series of errors and small mistakes, I'm generally pleased and when Sue gets home I expect she'll be happy the last piece for the dining room is finally completed. And now for the orbligatory pictures ending with the wineglass in place, the traditional end to all my projects.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I guess I get to be the first to offer congratulations on a job well done. Beautiful wood, beautiful work.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Hi Dave,

What can I say, some things are worth waiting for. This incredible wood has been transformed by your hands into am outstanding work.....The legs look perfect......

Well Done!
    Take care,
    Jim

Beautiful job, Dave. The wood is terrific and the craftsmanship shows. It was worth waiting for.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Dave,
    Beautiful, but I always knew it would be! I sort of feel like an uncle watching the kids grow up, since I got to see this in it's infancy and a couple of points along the way!
    Again, great job.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH
    And now for the orbligatory pictures ending with the wineglass in place, the traditional end to all my projects.
    Looks really nice, Dave.
    What's next?
    -Andy

What's next???

Hi Andrew, The original plan was to take the triangular cutoffs leftover after cutting the tabletop, resaw them, and do a Chippendale mirror. That's now on hold. Management (Sue) has decided that her sister needs a blanket chest to replace the one her slimey ex-boyfriend stole and took with him when he left. Anyone want to make a wager on what project gets done next??
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Great job. Love the wood, the finish, and the design. How big is it?

Beautiful, Dave, exquisite. What did you use to get the feet and knees darkened?

Pam

Some answers

Hi John, The top is 32" along the diagonal where the leaf drops.

Hi Pam,
    The finishing process was:
    1. 1 coat of Transtint Dark Mission Brown dye applied and then sanded off main suface.
    2. 1 heavy wet coat of Transtint dye- a mix of Honey Amber, Medium Brown, and Reddish Brown
    3. Lightly scuff sand whiskers
    4. Two heavy coats of Boiled Linseed Oil cut about 30% with Naptha
    5. Dry and cure for 2 weeks
    6. Many, many many coats of Garnet shellac
    7. Rub out with 0000 steel wool and Mahogany Briwax
    8. Buff and install
    9. Insert wineglass with Chardonnay
    The darkness in the knees and on the feet is the normal result of colors penetrating deeper into the end grain on those parts.
    Last edited by Dave Anderson NH; 02-11-2007 at 7:26 PM.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Stunning work Dave. I have been looking forward to the finished pictures. Your craftsmanship in both woodworking & finishing are obvious in this piece.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

That's a real nice table Dave. The more I work with curly maple the better I like it.

Ron

Beautifully done Dave!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Sweeet.

I'm curious how many boards you had to glue up for the top. From the pictures, it looks like individual boards for the top components.
    Nice stuff.

Unfortunately Terek I wasn't able to make each half of the top out of a single board. The plank I had with decent figure was only 13.5" wide and each half of the top is about 17" from joint to tip. Getting really wide planks (particularly with good figure) is getting harder and harder.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH