Thread: question for Jim and other MM/Felder users

question for Jim and other MM/Felder users

My new workshop will be 35'X17'. Can I fit a 8.5 or 10.5 ft slider in there yet not be cramped? My workshop will also have:

1. J/P combo
    2. 16" bandsaw
    3. 2.5X3.5 ft router table
    4. Typical size workbench
    5. Couple storage units for hand tools.

Would a 5-tool combo be a better idea? I would think having a shop nearly twice and long as its width would be a better environment for separate S/S and J/P.......

John, with your narrower shop, the separate sliding saw or saw/shaper combo would be a better fit. In fact, you'll have about the same width as I have where I have my new saw now due to that stairwell I have in the middle of the shop.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My shop has about same dimensions as yours and actually wish I had been able to go with a full combo as it would have allowd me to run my bandsaw the long way. I am unable to run a combo because of a couple of columns and the fact that there is a stepped down area in the middle of the space that only really fits a slider. Besides all of that, everything does fit, and if I keep things clean and organised the space isn't too cramped.
    Attached Images Attached Images

John,
    I have a Felder Serie 700 combo with 10' slider. Since I bought the combo, I have enlarged my shop and now wish that I had bought separate machines. Even though it only takes less than a minute to convert, maybe a little longer for the shaper, separate machines would be even better. You may want to see if you can fit separates into your shop. If I had a second chance, I would opt for the saw/shaper combo and joiner/planer combo.
    A helpful exercise is to get a floor plan and place machinery on it. Felder has the actual dimensions needed (including slider travel etc) in their catalog. Since the dimensions are somehwat similar across manufacturers, it will give you an idea how to best utilize the space. If interested, I can .pdf the dimension email them to you.
    BTW, if you happen to choose a Felder, there is no need for a router table. My machine has a high speed router spindle for use with regular router bits; it can run up to 20,000rpm.
    Best thing is to look at the machines in person, most manufacturers will give references to see different arrangements. I am one state over in NC, a long drive, but you are welcome to look at it.

Cheers,
    Bernhard

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like I'll be in good shape with a 8.5 or 10 ft slider from your examples. Next step will be to actually build the house. I just wanted to make sure I had enough room before the builders got too far on the framing. After that, I'll have to go lay hands on a couple MM, Felder, Rojek, etc machines..........

Anyone know when the next big convention is going to be? (other than IWF Atlanta 2008)..

I believe the next one is in Vegas this year....'used to be on the left-coast, but I think they moved it to Sin City.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...