Thread: Delta Lathe Questions

Question Delta Lathe Questions

A friend recently purchased a used Delta lathe, but did not get an owners manual, or parts manual with it. For some reason, the Mfr Plate does not show a Model #, but only a Catalogue # and the Serial #. We would like to know what the Model # is, and the year of manufacture, and also where he can get the manual/manuals for it if they are still available anywhere. Do any of you by any chance have this same lathe?

My computer has been very sick (and is still giving mucho problems) , so I have not been able to successfully navigate the Delta or Old WW Machine sites to get any answers.

The Plate Stampings are as follows:
    Delta
    Catalogue No. 46-541S
    Serial # 86D0 2277

TIA for any information you can give us which will be greatly appreciated. You may either post it here, or preferably, send me a PM, (it's easier to print that way and I can give it to him).
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Your model is the catalog number - 46-XXX. Go here and search your catalog number for an exploded http://www.acetoolrepair.com/home.asp . The S is some promotion package, probably. Delta did that a lot.

The top end is the same as almost all the gap-bed 12" Deltas, including my old 46-204 so when you go to http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/Detail....ations&ID=1141 for some pointers on other components you can probably pick up a manual on the forum.

Great iron, BTW, congratulations.

The catalogue number is the model number. Go to this website and enter 46-541 as a model number. You will see exploded diagrams, but I don't think there is an owners manual there. The exploded diagrams are probably more important.

If you contact the company, they should be able to tell you the year of manufacture from the serial number on the plate.

Norman,

The lathe is a model 46-541S, I'm not sure exactly what the "S" signifies, may stand for "stand". Delta sold these with and without a stand. The stand version also had a Reeves drive option or the 4 step pulley arrangement. it's a gap bed lathe, 12/16"X39". It dates from the mid 1980's. You can probably narrow it down on OWWM.com by perusing the catalogs.

Here's a link to the owners manual http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/PubDeta...141&PubID=1489

Mike
    Last edited by M Toupin; 02-12-2007 at 9:05 AM.

Thanks Guys for the info and links. Since his computer is working, I'll print it all up and give it to him so he can track it down.

I suspected the Cat # might be the model # but wasn't sure. I think the S may be for Stand as you mentioned, because it is mounted on a factory enclosed stand. It was cold and windy when we picked it up so I didn't look it over very closely, but I think it has the 4 pully arrangement for changing speeds, and it came with several different types of tool rests, and about 12 low to mid quality chisles, (and there may have been some other accessories for the lathe in the box).

Just for curiosity, what would you consider a reasonable price for a package deal like this in good condition?
    Last edited by Norman Hitt; 02-13-2007 at 3:02 AM.

Norman,
    Price is a hard one... bottom line is it's worth what you want to pay for it. Many factors to consider, condition, your location & local market and how much you want to put into it as far as $ and sweat. I picked up a 1950s 1460 for $25, I've seen similar lathes go for crazy money on ebay, go figure

The 4 pulley setup will limit the speed selection and might be a hindrance if your trying to turn large blanks. A VFD & 3ph motor would sure make a nice addition and give you full speed control. With a bit of scrounging for used stuff it could easily be done for under $200.

Mike

The standard pulleys produce 600 by the manual, a touch higher by the ratio computations if you use the full 1725 slip speed on the motor. Use your bandsaw to get things round, and if you have the narrow base, consider broadening the footprint or bolting it down. I used footprint at home, bolts were the choice at school.

Keep an appropriate cheap Chinese wrench handy to fit the hex on the spindle - I used the opposite side on mine - to make mounting faceplates and chucks easy.

Mike and George, thanks for the follow up information. I will pass this along to him.